Will Werther's Originals damage a Ninja blender?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have an idea of crushing up Werther's originals, first by hammer in a bag, then placing them in a ninja blender, to finely crush them and then putting that results into a rice crispy treat mixture.

How fine of pieces will a ninja blender make them into or will it do damage to them?

I have chopped Oreo cookies in one and it came into a fine powder

I probably wouldn't do it in the Ninja either. I like Kayelle's idea, and I see you drive a school bus. It might just work! The kids would get a kick out of it too.

Another thought would be to put them in an old pillow case, and have at it with a rolling pin, or just bash the heck out of them in the driveway.

Call me stupid, but what are Werther's Originals? I recognize the name, but have no idea what they are. Are they candies?

If they are hard candies, then, i agree with Kayelle. Use a hammer and a baggie.

Last edited:
Little hard caramel flavored candies, individually wrapped. Delicious. I think they have a soft candy version now too.

Just a cute side bar here, not meant to be a downer at all!

Werther's Originals are a beloved old fashioned candy much loved by many.
When my SousChef put his 102 year old mother to rest last week, the family sprinkled the candies in her grave because she loved them so much. She was a wonderful and humorous character till the day she died. Her apple with SousChef didn't fall far from the tree. She would have loved this discussion. ;)

Werther's originals are a butterscotch type candy, but made with real butter and real cream. Anyone in California can compare them to sees candies.

That's why I have a vision to make them into a fine powder, and blend them in with the marshmallow mixture with rice krispy treats, I thing it will give it a flavorful an interesting aromatic taste.

And if I can get it into a fine enough powder, it will be a secret ingredient that no one can guess...

Or it will make the rice krispies harder to stir in, I am preparing g for that outcome as well

But I now work for a food company, drive a truck, that makes both marshmallows and ferial, so I can get them at fractional prices

Yes I need to update my status, I no longer drive a school bus, the owner retired, and got a better paying opportunity as a truck driver (local)

Please excuse my spelling, I am on a tablet and still learning the stupid keyboard on the screen, plus fighting with so called auto correct that is not doing a very good job

Last edited:
Rocky, I too have a Ninga Blender
I put brown sugar that was hard as
rock in mine and it ground up fine.
made a horrible noise but It didn't
hurt my blender.
If you are afraid to do it why not
melt the caramels and put them in
your rice crispy mix, You might need
to put in less marsh mellows.
let us know what you decide to do,we're
curious.

Josie

Sounds like a really interesting project. Have you asked around at work? Being a food company, someone there might have ideas you could use.

Please keep us posted on your progress. I'd really like to hear what happens.

Excuse me for a moment. I'm still drooling.

Rocky,

Why not break them up and then put in a spice grinder? That might yield better results. I wouldn't put them in a blender as nice as a Ninja. Just sayin'.

When I ground hard spices in my Magic Bullet, the only thing that happened was that the plastic container got a bit abraded on the inside and isn't nice and clear anymore. Unless the blender container is made of glass, I imagine the same thing would happen with hard candies.

Warning: When using a Ninja Pulse blender (which was a very good blender), DW put too many frozen ingredients into the cup. When she tried to activate the blender she stalled the motor. She did this only for seconds. Over a period of about a week of such abuse, the motor died.

When electric motors are stalled, there is no back EMF to limit the current flowing through the rotor windings, resulting in max current which heats up the wire and melts the wiring insulation, creating a short circuit, or even melting the rotor windings. All electric motors are subject to this. Do not overwork your blender, or food processor, or mixer. It will destroy them.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Great advice, Chief!

I am thinking that a heavy mortar and pestle would get the job done.
On the other hand, that method would be quite labor intensive.

I;m thinking sledge hammer, strong cloth bag filled with the candies, and a slap of steel to put it on. Or, maybe I'm just not thinking straight.:wacko:

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

How about breaking them into small pieces with a hammer or truck or whatever and then into the blender in small batches? I mean small enough that they don't strain the motor of the blender.

Last edited:
Place them in a double zippy bag and if you have an area in the back of your home that has cement, take it out there and with a hammer, bang away until the pieces are tiny enough for the blender.

The reason for the double zippy bag is because the candies will have sharp pointed ends that can pierce the zippy bag. The second bag is for insurance. Use a gallon size zippy bag. Room for the candies to smash down to powder.

Or, you might try reducing the candies on a microplane first. Just watch your fingers. Save the larger pieces for the zippy bag solution. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom