"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 06-21-2005, 05:41 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Window Sill Herbs?

I'm curious what herbs can be grown indoors, year around, possibly on a window sill?

Old 06-21-2005, 05:46 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Mrdove,

I've grown, basil, parsley, thyme. I do find that they need plenty of light and will tend to ge "leggy" if they have to search for the sun.. Of course here in California, I can grow most things outside even in winter, if plants are smalll and there is a chance of frost I cover them at night, but I've found that after the plant is a year or so old it can withstand most any temperature.
Heck, get some packets of your favorites and try them on your windowsill..See what you can do...It's fun
kadesma

Old 06-21-2005, 06:22 PM   #3
Master Chef

As a hortculturist and retired retail greenhouse grower and owner, this is my area of specialty.
Good windowsill herbs are parsley (moss-curled in 4" pot, Italian Flat-leaf in 6" pot), thyme, chives, tarragon, sage, oregano, rosemary and winter savory...any perennial herb, really.
Basil is an annual, but if you can give it a warm spot and plenty of sun, you can keep some going. The sun part is what's tricky up her in Illinois. About mid-winter it tends to poop out. The small leaf varieties do best in pots.
Another thing that may surprise you is that peppers are actually perennial plants in warmer climates. A pot of small chili peppers will do great in a sunny window in the winter. Mine are outside now, pinched back and fed and going for a second season.
We have a 30x12' passive solar greenhouse across the south side of our house, adjoining the living area with 3 pairs of sliding glass doors, so I have a good place to grow herbs in the winter. It's nice to be able to step out and pick fresh herbs for the evening's dinner.
It's also pretty cool to see snow on the ground and orchids blooming in the greenhouse.
Old 06-21-2005, 06:30 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Oh! Constance

How I envy your green house I have a small 8'x 10' that I love but only use in the summer.
Old 06-21-2005, 07:13 PM   #5
Hospitality Queen

How about a variety of mints? They grow like weeds! :)
Old 06-21-2005, 07:19 PM   #6
Master Chef

Here's a picture to give you an idea of what it looks like. My husband and I designed the house ourselves. It's a wonder the bank gave us a loan...LOL!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	111_1109.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	152  
Old 06-21-2005, 10:56 PM   #7
Head Chef

I have a few questions. This summer I have bought a rosemary plant and a basil plant. Both have taken off. The rosemary plant I have in a 8 inch pot. I recently cut off some of the tops for a dish I made. It seems like it isn't recovering very well. I don't know if it is shock or what, but it isn't growing like it did before I cut it.

The basil I have in a 7 inch pot and it is about 16 inches from top of pot to top of plant. I have only snipped a few leaves, but it is growing very fast. If it grows too big for the pot will it start dying off or will it slow down, I have a very small kithcen and not much room for big pots. The basil has started growing white flowers on them also. Do I have to keep moving it to a bigger pot to keep it alive?
Old 06-21-2005, 11:13 PM   #8
Hospitality Queen

Constance, it looks like a photo on a calendar! It's gorgeous!
Old 06-21-2005, 11:34 PM   #9
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to Heat
I agree with Jkath! Wow thats impressive!! Well, Constance i have a question or two Hehe. I live in central Fla. My kitchen is facing west, to give you an idea of where the sun is. my window sill is a nice size. But, i really have a black thumb, and i so love plants. i get discouraged cause i dont know what im doing wrong. Could you please give me an idea of the type of soil to use for these herbs. and how much to water them and when? hahahhhaah. I can grow spider plants HAHAHHAHAHAHA.
Heat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 07:09 AM   #10
Senior Cook

Constance - Jealous here. Just beautiful! The trees are fabulous. Lucky, lucky you.