"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-15-2016, 07:55 PM   #21
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
I almost always enjoy wine with dinner, either out or at home and I am pretty open to different wines, but I do have several premier pairings.

If I have having rich bold beef such as a thick steak or a beef roast, they definitely require Malbec from Argentina. California Malbecs are a good subsititute.

For Italian fare I prefer a chianti or other Sangiovese.

For rich fish dishes I want a Torrontes, also from Argentina.

Milder fish I will have Pinot Grigio or Savingnon Blanc.

With pork and lamb, a good merlot, syrah (except Australian Shiraz, which I despise!) or a pinot noir.

Goat is best with Zinfandel or Tempranillo

I am bored to death with both Chardonnay and Cabernet Sauvignon so I only drink them if my cellar is low or they are getting close to their Best By date.
Thankfully I'll never have the stress of picking a wine to serve to you. It would be bound to be either despicable of boring. I prefer friendlier wines that happily pair with more than just one type of food or occasion. I do happen to like Cabernet Sauvignon and in the right circumstances, a dry Chardonnay.

I'm not terribly fond of the more acidic Chiantis from Italy- the tannins don't play well with my taste buds unless perfectly paired with the proper food. I did get to sample some really good Italian wines from Montalcino and Montepulciano and liked them except for the price (these were aged 10-12 years in the bottle to let the tannins mellow a bit).

Not a big fan of the merlot, or pinot noir that I've had, but then I may never have tried a particularly good vintner or vintage of those.

I do like some of the vin ordinaire that I've sampled - an everyday French red table wine, usually bought in bulk at the winery. I had the pleasure of tasting some of it years ago that my mother brought home from from St. Cyr sur Mer on the Cote d'Azur.

I'm working right now on a similar type of blended red from Chile - Fronterra Vintage Red - quite inexpensive and for me and my friends it's great with food or just for a glass out on the veranda on a summer evening - what I think of as a social wine that requires no particular event or food pairing. I also like their Cabernet Sauvignon.

Old 03-15-2016, 08:27 PM   #22
Senior Cook

Quote:
I almost always enjoy wine with dinner, either out or at home and I am pretty open to different wines, but I do have several premier pairings.

If I have having rich bold beef such as a thick steak or a beef roast, they definitely require Malbec from Argentina. California Malbecs are a good subsititute.

With pork and lamb, a good merlot, syrah (except Australian Shiraz, which I despise!) or a pinot noir.

I am bored to death with both Chardonnay and Cabernet Sauvignon so I only drink them if my cellar is low or they are getting close to their Best By date.
Those are all good wines and when one lives in a wine state it's to try them all. I do love the Malbec, too, all the different mrtitage blends, the list does go on. One I like a lot is Silver Lake's Cab Franc but they don't always make it. It's perfect with grilled meat or bif game.

I've got wines over 30 years old and have not had a bad bottle yet, knock on wood. What is your Best by Date on a bottle of wine?

Old 03-15-2016, 08:32 PM   #23
Senior Cook

Rick, I understand what you mean about the pinot noir. For me, the cheaper ones seem like they are watered down and the best are so pricy it's hard to justify the expense. When I do buy the better one's I get two bottles for a meal but it's for something special. Our everyday one is discounted to $8 a bottle and that's by the case.
Old 03-17-2016, 03:29 AM   #24
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Let's not exaggerate here. In moderation, wine can be part of a healthful diet, but it is not a medication used to treat illness.
I should have put "prevent" instead of "treat", wine should never taken as drugs even associated with medecines. It is a prevention not a treatment.

I am also for friendlier wines like cabernet Franc wine which can be paired with almost everything though it is a parent to cabernet Sauvignon..it is excellent with crispy skin trout and pork belly
Old 03-17-2016, 09:29 AM   #25
Executive Chef

Quote:

But what would you drink with bear?

Seriously though, this is very interesting and helpful both to the beginner and us "old soaks".

Although Australian wines have improved no end since the old "Yates Wine Lodge" rot-gut days, some of those at the cheaper end can still be a bit of a headache.

I'm not a wine snob but I find that, as a generality, many non-European reds can set off my migraines but European reds don't so I tend to stick to the latter. Whites are less of a problem.
Old 03-22-2016, 03:20 AM   #26
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian31 View Post
Hi Granjie,

There are so many health benefits from drinking wine but if you drink too much, for sure that you will have health problems that's why drinking two or five glasses of wine per week is best recommended.

Julian.
It reassures me, having to stop using wines in cooking seems impossible for me And yet, there are so many varietals in our cellar which I brought from Italy, France, Argentina... I wouldn't throw them away for the world Here is the pairing of the day : a full-bodied Merlot with chargrilled steak, I was also planning to enjoy it with cab to check if it is really true that both wines can be paired with the same sort of dishes.
Old 03-31-2016, 08:14 AM   #27
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granjie View Post
It reassures me, having to stop using wines in cooking seems impossible for me And yet, there are so many varietals in our cellar which I brought from Italy, France, Argentina... I wouldn't throw them away for the world Here is the pairing of the day : a full-bodied Merlot with chargrilled steak, I was also planning to enjoy it with cab to check if it is really true that both wines can be paired with the same sort of dishes.
Sounds you cannot live without wine Granjie Anyway, I love your pairing. Cab can be paired with the same sort of dishes as Merlot but we have to stressed on the body type "a full-bodied Merlot" meaning neither medium nor light bodied Merlot are included.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
many non-European reds can set off my migraines but European reds don't so I tend to stick to the latter. Whites are less of a problem.
I would recommend the opposite Mr Mad cook, it is said in this article that red wine is high in cancer-fighting, would you believe it?
Which is Healthier: Red Wine or White Wine? | Prevention
Old 03-31-2016, 10:15 AM   #28
Executive Chef

Sadly, where I live it is difficult to find a proper, independant, wine merchant who knows what he is selling and can advise the customer without prejudice. I'm stuck with supermarkets which are fine if you know what you want - well, some are - but hopeless for the "newby" wine purchaser.
Old 03-31-2016, 10:20 AM   #29
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian31 View Post
Sounds you cannot live without wine Granjie Anyway, I love your pairing. Cab can be paired with the same sort of dishes as Merlot but we have to stressed on the body type "a full-bodied Merlot" meaning neither medium nor light bodied Merlot are included.

I would recommend the opposite Mr Mad cook, it is said in this article that red wine is high in cancer-fighting, would you believe it?
Which is Healthier: Red Wine or White Wine? | Prevention
MISS Mad Cook!

What does "cancer-fighting" have to do with my migraines?
Old 03-31-2016, 12:31 PM   #30
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
I prefer friendlier wines that happily pair with more than just one type of food or occasion. I do happen to like Cabernet Sauvignon and in the right circumstances, a dry Chardonnay.
All of the wines I mentioned can be paired with many different foods, I was just stating the best pairings for each. I also discovered that with Argentine wines, Malbec from the lower elevations are superior to the ones from higher elevations, and vice versa for the Torrontés.

I am burned out on both Cabernet Sauvignon and Chardonnay because I have had so many different brands, years and terroirs.

Tags
food, wine