"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 12-24-2015, 07:46 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Wine and food pairing

Do you usually pair wine and food ? what is your favourite menu?

Old 12-24-2015, 09:02 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

We do. As an example, our Christmas dinner will be a roast beef (boneless ribeye roast) with lyonnaise potatoes and roasted vegetables. This menu calls for a bold red wine. I have a couple of bottles of cabernet sauvignon that will go well with it.

In general, I would tell you to drink what you like and ignore the "rules". However, there rules exist because they work.

Old 12-24-2015, 09:40 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

In general, the "rules" pair red wine with red meat and white wine with poultry or fish. That said, we serve both and drink whatever we please!
Old 12-24-2015, 09:46 AM   #4
Wine Guy

We have wine with most meals, and there are lots of pairings that I like.

Last night we had pizza with Cotes du Rhone.

Tonight we're having Chicken Curry with La Crescent (a locally grown white grape).

Tomorrow we're having a rotisserie leg of lamb with Barbaresco from Piedmont.
Old 12-24-2015, 09:50 AM   #5
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
In general, the "rules" pair red wine with red meat and white wine with poultry or fish. That said, we serve both and drink whatever we please!
That's an in general, but color is not the deciding factor. It's more about the fruitiness and acidity than red or white.

Having said that, it's also about what you like to drink with what you like to eat.
Old 12-24-2015, 09:54 AM   #6
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
We do. As an example, our Christmas dinner will be a roast beef (boneless ribeye roast) with lyonnaise potatoes and roasted vegetables. This menu calls for a bold red wine. I have a couple of bottles of cabernet sauvignon that will go well with it.

In general, I would tell you to drink what you like and ignore the "rules". However, there rules exist because they work.

To a certain extent that is true, but the "rules" have been undergoing significant revision in the last couple of decades. Many wines which were once considered improper with certain foods are now quite acceptable. Granted that there are some pairings which really do make a very significant difference. I'm not a wine connoisseur, but I did a tasting in Italy that dramatically demonstrated one aspect - a top of the line, but somewhat acidic Chianti tasted by itself, then tasted after eating a small piece of aged Parmesan Reggiano was like I was sipping a completely different drink.

However, most of the time I don't see such a noticeable difference. A balanced red table wine will go well with most foods. Rosé or a white zinfandel pairs well with a variety of hors d'oeuvres. A drier white with chicken or fish, but with goose or duck you usually want a red.

After all of that, I still say that you can't go wrong simply serving what you like, regardless of the rules. If it tastes good, then the pairing can't be too far wrong. When serving guests whose preferences I don't know, like to offer a choice.
Old 12-25-2015, 08:11 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Taste is very subjective. Here at Casa de Hoot, we drink what we like. I recommend that you do the same. We prefer the wine from a fairly local source, Duplin Winery. They produce muscadine wines and they are very good - at least we think so.
Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 03:50 AM   #8
Assistant Cook

Yes, we do. For christmas, we had roast beef with top quality red wine from New World regions the "Cabernet Sauvignon". Sometimes, we need also to break the rules to discover another taste for another feeling but it's up to everyone.
Old 12-28-2015, 06:30 AM   #9
Executive Chef

I'm partial to Cold Duck with turkey.
Old 12-28-2015, 09:47 AM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
I'm partial to Cold Duck with turkey.
I'm partial to Wild Turkey with cold duck.

Tags
food, wine