Wine in tomato cream sauce?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

annibe11e

Assistant Cook
I'm brand new here! I signed up just to get some opinions for a dinner Im making Saturday for the new boyfriend.

I'm making a very basic tomato cream sauce. I like to add a splash of red wine to most of my tomato-based sauces and white wine to my cream sauces. So, which one, if any, should I add to a tomato cream sauce? I'm serving it over penne with parmesan-crusted chicken.

Thanks in advance for your opinions and wisdom!

I'm making a very basic tomato cream sauce. I like to add a splash of red wine to most of my tomato-based sauces and white wine to my cream sauces. So, which one, if any, should I add to a tomato cream sauce? I'm serving it over penne with parmesan-crusted chicken.

Thanks in advance for your opinions and wisdom!
Assuming it's somewhat salmon colored, I would add a little white wine to a tomato cream sauce. It's my experience that red wine will turn it an unnatural shocking pink hue.

White for sure. Now if you throw some vodka in there.......!:angel:

I find that red wine can be stronger in a sauce than white. Whatever I cook in, or with, a sauce that contains red wine it seems to take on the red wine flavor. Where as, white wine is more subtle and does not dominate the flavor of the sauce or the meat that it is served on...just my two cents...

Assuming it's somewhat salmon colored, I would add a little white wine to a tomato cream sauce. It's my experience that red wine will turn it an unnatural shocking pink hue.
About 30 years ago (yup, I did say 30), I made a fish sauce using red wine. It tasted good, but oh, boy, it was ugly. TO THIS DAY, my family teases me about the pink fish sauce. Stay away from the red in this case.

I was thinking vodka CraigC and then I saw your post OR white vermouth is good
As Menumaker says, white vermouth is a good substitute (or even in its own right) for use with fish. The extra advantage is that (if you aren't drinking the white wine with the dish) vermouth will keep longer than wine.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom