"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 10-03-2006, 04:19 PM   #31
Master Chef

Carolelaine - I keep my dry vermouth, dry sherry, marsala, madeira, & all my dry red wines in my pantry. Only the whites are refrigerated. Everything seems to do just fine.

Old 10-03-2006, 05:33 PM   #32
Certified Pretend Chef

I wouldn't keep opened merlot in the pantry beyond a dya or two. Refrigerate the unused portion or fill an ice cube tray and make merlot-cicles. They can be put into a plastic bag after freezing.

Old 10-03-2006, 05:34 PM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin
This is a fact. Nothing better for deglazing a pan after cooking your meat course to make a base for the sauce.... also great for mushrooms sauted in butter and wine with shallots or garlic (my DW's fav).
*Bowing down in recognition of great wisdom of DW* amen amen amen
Old 06-13-2007, 08:53 AM   #34
Head Chef

Today I bought a bottle of pinot noir red for a red cooking wine and a chardonnay for a white cooking wine. Will that do? The place I went to absolutely had no dry vermouth. The white wine is called Mirassou Chardonnay.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:30 AM   #35
Certified Pretend Chef

The red will do fine.

In general, chardonnays are not always the best. A lot of California chards are aged in oak for an 'oaky' flavor. That can become bothersome in cooking. It's worth trying what you bought. Australian chards are less oaky.

A good choice is sauvignon blanc. There is a great selection available at a reasonable price.

You should be able to find dry vermouth easily. It's the other main ingredient in a martini.
Old 06-13-2007, 11:06 AM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Just be sure to buy an unoaked Chard - if you stick with wiines in a box you are pretty much guaranteed that. Pinot Noir? There are less expensive wines to buy to cook with. Chablis would be a good wine to buy - and it's fairly inexpensive. But buy the box.

I keep a box of Chardonnay (no Oak fermentation) and a box of Cabernet Sauvignon or Burgundy in my cabinet to cook with. Both of these fit the bill for most wines to cook with.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 11:07 AM   #37
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
The red will do fine.

In general, chardonnays are not always the best. A lot of California chards are aged in oak for an 'oaky' flavor. That can become bothersome in cooking. It's worth trying what you bought. Australian chards are less oaky.

A good choice is sauvignon blanc. There is a great selection available at a reasonable price.

You should be able to find dry vermouth easily. It's the other main ingredient in a martini.
Andy is spot on, but in this case, the Mirassou Chardonnay is not very oaky, and should be okay. (no pun intended )
Old 06-13-2007, 11:30 AM   #38
Certified Pretend Chef

Thanks, June. I don't know the Mirassou so couldn't comment directly.
Old 06-13-2007, 11:38 AM   #39
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to college_cook
Rule of thumb for cooking with wine is that if you wouldn't drink it, don't cook with it. I prefer using a pinot gris or a gewurtztraminer for my white, and I've had a lot of luck with Australian Shiraz for reds.

Another nice white to cook with is Prosecco, an Italian sparkling wine. Tasty too!
Old 06-13-2007, 11:47 AM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by college_cook
Rule of thumb for cooking with wine is that if you wouldn't drink it, don't cook with it. I prefer using a pinot gris or a gewurtztraminer for my white, and I've had a lot of luck with Australian Shiraz for reds.

Another nice white to cook with is Prosecco, an Italian sparkling wine. Tasty too!
Gewürztraminer has a tendency to be floral and sweet - what did you use it for? That might be the key. I can certainly see how it would delicately flavor scallops.

Prosecco isn't expensive at least but when cooked, it just turns into a still wine. I'd have to drink those bubbles and use something else to cook with It is my duty to "save the bubbles"

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote