Wines for cooking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ChefJune said:
Andy is spot on, but in this case, the Mirassou Chardonnay is not very oaky, and should be okay. (no pun intended :rolleyes: )

Thanks - that's good to know. So I'm assuming the 2 wines I said I bought can be left in the cabinet after they've been opened for cooking usage. I bought the Mirassou Chardonnay for white wine and a pinor noir bottle for red. I didn't buy the box(s) although came close. The red wine was only $7.99

If you're keeping the wines for a while, keep them both in the fridge. They'll last longer.

You could even freeze the leftovers in ice cube trays for later use.

And, if your pinot ends up being a bit vinegary (which it will eventually because they don't last more than a few days) - just make a vinaigrette - or marinate a steak or some ribs.

kitchenelf said:
And, if your pinot ends up being a bit vinegary (which it will eventually because they don't last more than a few days) - just make a vinaigrette - or marinate a steak or some ribs.

I thought I read in this thread that pinor noir for red was a good red wine for cooking and that it would also last in the cabinet. That is why I bought it. I could of sworn in this thread and maybe in one other one, the suggestions on what to buy for red and/or white wines were the types you could keep for a long time in the cabinet.

I don't use red and/or white wine for cooking every day or even every week. It depends on what I'm cooking. I don't have room in my freezor because we stock up on a lot of meat. I might just go back to what I usually do and buy the cooking wines from the isle that has those smaller cooking wines. The ones people don't suggest because of the salt content I believe. I've been using those for years.

I would like to keep a bottle of red wine and a bottle of white wine in my cabinet.

I probably should of just bought the boxed wines. I could keep them in the refrigerator - although it will take up room. Definetely can't keep them in the freezor. That was one of the selling points though....buy nice cheap bottles of wine instead of the "not recommended" cooking wines and still be able to keep them in the counter.

You don't need to keep the boxed wines in your refrigerator. I keep mine in my cabinet near my stove. They will last for a good year. Hey, we'll help you find some recipes to use wine in. I don't use it all that often either, which is why I like the boxes. The reason the boxes work so well is because no air get to the wine to oxidize it. It stays fresh for a very long time. And yes, don't use cooking wines, they are VERY salty and just don't leave the flavor of the wine in the food.

Use what you have and don't worry about it today. If you have some pinot noir left over just take some chicken thighs, along with some shallots or onions, carrots, and potatoes, and make a stew. Add some thyme, salt, pepper, of course, and how could I forget - GARLIC! The same can be done with the white wine.

We'll help you use that wine up - it won't go to waste.

Opened bottles of wine will go bad (sour) in a matter of a week so (probably less) depending on what type they are. I'm not sure who led you to believe that pinot noir and chardonnay -- or any wine for that matter -- could be kept out on the counter indefinitely because that is not so. Sorry. Keeping them in the fridge legthens their shelf life but not indefinitely.

That's why people recommend

(1) Buying boxed wine, for the reasons K-elf said.
(2) Buying a six pack of small airplane sized bottles.
(3) Buying dry vermouth as a sub for white wine, as a fortified wine like vermouth is shelf stable for a much longer time.
(4) Freezing leftover wine -- you can freeze it in a ziplock so that it is flat and takes up very little room.

"Cooking wine" from the supermarket doesn't taste anything like wine and IMO will make anything you use it in taste worse that if you had left it out. I'd choose a recipe that didn't call for wine or leave it out if the alternative is cooking wine or sherry.

jennyema said:
That's why people recommend

(1) Buying boxed wine, for the reasons K-elf said.
(2) Buying a six pack of small airplane sized bottles.
(3) Buying dry vermouth as a sub for white wine, as a fortified wine like vermouth is shelf stable for a much longer time.
(4) Freezing leftover wine -- you can freeze it in a ziplock so that it is flat and takes up very little room.

Thanks for clearing that up. :rolleyes:

legend_018 said:
I thought I read in this thread that pinor noir for red was a good red wine for cooking
It is.
and that it would also last in the cabinet. That is why I bought it. I could of sworn in this thread and maybe in one other one, the suggestions on what to buy for red and/or white wines were the types you could keep for a long time in the cabinet.
The only wines that will keep "a long time" once opened are box wines or fortified wines, such as vermouth, port, marsala.

I don't use red and/or white wine for cooking every day or even every week. It depends on what I'm cooking. I don't have room in my freezor because we stock up on a lot of meat. I might just go back to what I usually do and buy the cooking wines from the isle that has those smaller cooking wines. The ones people don't suggest because of the salt content I believe. I've been using those for years.
I hope you don't go back to those salty cooking wines. There is more wrong with them than just the salt. The quality of the wine used for those is much lower than even the box wines, and the price you pay for those little bottles is extremely high. You "stock up" on meat and other groceries to save money, don't blow it on overpriced but cheap (read cr8ppy) wine. One alternative might be to pick up a couple of four-paks of half bottles. Sutter Home makes those and they're pretty widely available in drug store wine sections and wine superstores. They have screwtop closures but their best feature is that they are small amounts so you just open and use what you need. I'd get their red zinfandel and Pinot grigio or Sauvignon blanc.

I would like to keep a bottle of red wine and a bottle of white wine in my cabinet.
These will not keep more than a day or two opened and unrefrigerated.

Hey, we'll help you find some recipes to use wine in. I don't use it all that often either,
If you had my book, you'd have lots of easy recipes that use wine! :chef: :D

ooooops! shameless self-promotion!

debbie24 said:
whenever i'm looking for a recipe i always skip over recipes that call for wines because i just dont know what to use. hubby & i dont drink so we dont know much about alcohol or wines and there are so many different ones in the wine isle. what is a good red & white wine i can have on hand that will work in most dishes that call for wine and that i can keep in the refrigerator for a while (since we wont drink them)?

i do have some white wine & some red wine somewhere in the house that were given to us, would those be ok to use?

One thing I have always heard is, use a wine you would drink. I believe Jacques Pepin has said that a few times.

OnlineCooking said:
One thing I have always heard is, use a wine you would drink. I believe Jacques Pepin has said that a few times.

Most chefs say that, but it should be ammended to a wine that you COULD drink, not necessarily one that you WOULD drink. I could drink some of the wines that we've used for cooking in the different restaurants that I've worked in, but I wouldn't.

I think possibly an even better way to say it is "Don't cook with wines you would not drink".

Amen to Ironchef quotation of Jacques Pepin: If you are going to use wine for cooking, use a good quality wine that you would drink.
If you are in a budget, look for some Chilean or Argentinian red (Merlot, Malbec or Cabernet Sauvignon) and for white, Rieslings or Chablis.
As a guideline, the wine should bring extra body to whatever you are cooking but should not be powerfull enough to take over sauce or meet flavors.

As some have already said, I'm a big believer in fortified wines for friends who don't actually drink the stuff. Vermouth, Marsala,Sherry, Port, etc. These have a long shelf life. Unfortunately, I love the stuff and will drink almost any and every wine. But if you don't, buy a fortified wine to cook with.

Back
Top Bottom