"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 12-30-2008, 06:06 PM   #31
Master Chef

Oooh - & speaking of soup, how could I have left out my favorite - a nice big piping hot bowl of Onion Soup Gratinee. A rich broth redolent of caramlelized onions & Cognac topped with baguette slices & a thick topping of melted gruyere, parmesan, & swiss cheeses. Accompanied by a nice crisp green salad & you have a winter meal for the Gods!

Old 12-30-2008, 06:07 PM   #32
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
I look forward to cold weather cooking so I can prepare short ribs and oxtails more often.
Ooooh, short ribs! That sounds so good right now. I've never made them. Do you have a recipe or technique or tips you could share, Katie?

Old 12-30-2008, 06:13 PM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom View Post
Ooooh, short ribs! That sounds so good right now. I've never made them. Do you have a recipe or technique or tips you could share, Katie?
Terry, I have more than a dozen short ribs recipes, all or most of which would fall under the copyright rule, and they are all delicious.

I emailed a 40 cloves of garlic one to Uncle Bob who loved it. I have a recipe that has the ribs cooking in dark stout. Really good. There's a barbecue one. More I can't remember off the top of my head. There are some done in the crock-pot, which is convenient and produces a day-long aroma that is just too tantalizing.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:05 PM   #34
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
Oooh - & speaking of soup, how could I have left out my favorite - a nice big piping hot bowl of Onion Soup Gratinee. A rich broth redolent of caramlelized onions & Cognac topped with baguette slices & a thick topping of melted gruyere, parmesan, & swiss cheeses. Accompanied by a nice crisp green salad & you have a winter meal for the Gods!
OH, Baby you are so right on that one I love french onion soup I love it in the summer but winter makes it extra special I need it to be really hot so I can eat it slow as to savor it as long as possible especially the melted cheese.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:23 PM   #35
Executive Chef

To me winter dishes have to do with root vegetables and all the other winter foods available like squash, potatoes and other foods that are dried, stored or preserved in some other way plus the fact that cranking up the stove to add heat to the house as opposed to summer, also long cooked foods like stew and a lot of baked goods. So I think casseroles, roasts, gratins and other baked dishes along with soups and beans Summer meals are usually lighter and involve fresh produce. Of course I know we get plenty fresh produce now in the winter but in the old days people did not have that choice and probably needed the exrta calories to do the outdoor chores etc.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:03 PM   #36
Master Chef

I wish you'd send me some meatloaf. I've been craving it, but DH keeps changing the menu, and since he does almost all the actual cooking, I usually go along with him.

We do eat some assorted soups, stews and casseroles in the winter, which I love, but we basically eat whatever we're craving at the moment.

By the way, if you need any comfort food recipes, let me know. I have meals that will give you hugs.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:43 PM   #37
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
Terry, I have more than a dozen short ribs recipes, all or most of which would fall under the copyright rule, and they are all delicious.

I emailed a 40 cloves of garlic one to Uncle Bob who loved it. I have a recipe that has the ribs cooking in dark stout. Really good. There's a barbecue one. More I can't remember off the top of my head. There are some done in the crock-pot, which is convenient and produces a day-long aroma that is just too tantalizing.
Thanks, Katie, for pointing me in the right direction. I found a couple of great looking recipes for the slow-cooker that will be perfect for me. I'll let you know how I do.
Old 12-31-2008, 01:44 AM   #38
Executive Chef

roast a ham with bone and then do a split pea soup or navy bean soup with the bone and leavings.

Stuffed cabbage or peppers. Do a boiled dinner (either picnic ham or corned beef)

Pot roast, pot pies, Roast chicken with stuffing and all the extras. Mac and cheese.

All kinds of options for you.
Old 12-31-2008, 07:32 AM   #39
Assistant Cook

Sage chicken stew is my favourite, closely followed by a hearty lasagne.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:04 AM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
- one of which serves sushi that is as good - if not better - than anything I ever had in NY.
you may have gone to crappy places when you were here.

getting back to something lezzy frigid, winter: i just watched alton's show on coq au vin last night. that's a definite one.

(lol, of course i meant the conversation, not breezy)

and i was looking at lamb's neck int the store the other day; reminded me of daube provencal (lamb's neck stew, provence style.). yum.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote