With what should I brush my buns/rolls before baking them ?
This is the question I have had on my mind for a long time. I always read in recipes that I should use this or that liquid... But Maybe they are wrong, or maybe I won't obtain the finish I like ! Everyone's different.
So I decided to make an Experiment.
I prepared 12 popular brushing found in recipes (offline and online) and I applied them to dinner rolls I made.
The liquids I used :
- Egg white
- Egg yolk
- Beaten egg
- Water Egg Wash ( egg + 2Tbsp water )
- Milk Egg Wash ( egg + 2Tbsp milk )
- Melted butter
- Baking Soda Water ( 1tsp baking soda and 3 tsp water )
- None ( essential to point out differences )
The results were quite interesting !
To sum things up : Here's my conclusion ( in my opinion only )
- For sweet buns : I would choose "Egg wash with milk" because the color is rich and the buns were shiny.
- For salty buns : I would choose "Milk" or "Baking soda water". I 'd rather use something simple like Milk. The baking soda adds a "Pretzel-like" taste to it which i really love.
Tell me what brushing you prefer ;)
See you around,