Woo Hoo! The garlic man came today!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rocklobster

Master Chef
I got my batch from a local guy who comes in to the deli..he said it wasn't the greatest year..they look pretty good..some are small..should last until the New Year... I'll hit the local markets and try a few other kinds..winter can be bleak, with poor selection, so I stock up when I can..

Attachments

• 38689627_2228157327469624_1594300012123127808_n.jpg
    38689627_2228157327469624_1594300012123127808_n.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 220
Last edited:
Very cool, good on ya. Yeah, the midwest, my friends that grow garlic and myself saw the same thing, it was less than stellar, still okay. It's the weather, that really matters.

Last year the south had a hard time with garlic, so northern garlic was selling. We'll see how the sales go this year.

I had an average garlic year. I was expecting better , but ive definitely had worse years. I got my garlic from a local garlic farmer. His farm got nailed with a lot of flood and heavy storms early in the season, so I know he had a bad year as well.

Garlic? Did I hear someone mention garlic? I go shopping once a month. I always buy at least three to five good size bulbs each month. I love good strong garlic. Unfortunately, even five bulbs don't make it to the next shopping spree. Looks like I am going to have to increase my buying power.

Too bad JustCooking doesn't live on the Monterey Peninsula any more. He could have shipped you some Gilroy Garlic. OMG, that stuff is good. The soil and climate seem to be just right.

They even have an annual garlic festival...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqHqK2nFyaY

CD

Oh there's no garlic like Gilroy Garlic! I'd love to get up there for the Garlic Festival sometime, but driving through Gilroy with the windows down is a culinary experience in itself.:ohmy:

Oh there's no garlic like Gilroy Garlic! I'd love to get up there for the Garlic Festival sometime, but driving through Gilroy with the windows down is a culinary experience in itself.:ohmy:

Over the years I have often heard stories of the aroma of that wonderful bulb spreading to other parts of their neighbors during the festival.

Our neighbors on Cape Cod have a "garden table" where they sell stuff they grow. I tried their garlic last weekend. SUPEB!!!! Next day I bought 20 bulbs !

The garlic sold at the supermarkets is hit or miss at best. So often you cannot find bulbs worth buying.

We are selling russian red garlic, music garlic, and german red, on our website.

You can tell a little about garlic at the grocery store by looking at the root end. Usually the roots and dirt cannot be imported, so they are shaved off, if they are from other countries. Local garlic may have roots intact but still cut to shorten them. If the neck stem of the garlic is stiff, it is probably a hard neck variety, while the braided garlic and softer stem (bendable) is a soft neck variety.

Once you cut your garlic you can also find out if it is a hard neck or soft neck by cutting the bulb horizontally. The hard neck variety has one concentric row of cloves around the middle hard neck stem--larger cloves. The soft neck variety has more than one concentric row of cloves around the center--smaller cloves.

I have a friend who has a tree company but grows garlic as a sideline. He gives me every year 4 garlic plaits. These are amazing. I break it all down and freeze. Because it's frozen it keeps for ages when you make garlic butter. I make a lot of garlic butter.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom