"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-01-2009, 11:38 AM   #11
Executive Chef

woods are key, use small pieces of poplar or similar quick burning wood to start a fire and to up the temp for a hot oven.....oaks and other hardwoods to bank the fire....fire tending is an art. How are you obtaining the wood for the stove? Is it seasoned and split?

Yes you can use it as a regular stove, but it will be a challange. It is much easier to use the stove top for soups, simmering things, heating water....I used a wood cookstove for many years, 3 actually, the best one was a combination wood/gas cookstove, each one had its own quirks.

Do you have any specific questions?

Old 01-01-2009, 12:03 PM   #12
Executive Chef

In addition to Bethzaring's excellent tips you need to adjust the fire boxes bottom (air intake) and chimney dampers to achieve optimum combustion, fuel consumption and temperature control. Trivets, placement of pots over different locations on the stove top or over a portion of the stove-top where the lid or 1 or more of the lid rings have been removed can also be done to adjust pot temperatures.
Probably the oven compartment farthest from the fire-box is a warming oven.
If your stove has shaker grates you might want to use large chunks of hard coal to keep the stove going overnight. The size coal you'd need depends on the size of your stoves grates. If you use coal, make sure you sleep with your head near an partially open window to avoid coal gas poisoning.

The best turekys I've ever eaten were baked in your kind of stove. I'd speculate you could make some outstanding bread in that stove.

Old 01-01-2009, 12:04 PM   #13
Sous Chef

Practice and practice

I agree with bethzaring. Cooking top of wood stove is best. You can move tha pans towards more heat....and move away from the heat. Constant WATCH> The oven you must WATCH and keep the fire as constant as you can. Not easy. Take practice.

I used a wood stove when I was planning to start a Country Store Business. Did cook top of stove FINE. Oven??? that was a challenge.

You can also get one of those top of the stove old fashioned ovens...they are metal and they can work too. It is fun to master. Use your oven only when you have a lot of time. Trial and error. Aria.
Old 01-01-2009, 12:22 PM   #14
Executive Chef

In addition to the firebox and chimney dampers I mentioned above, your stove probably has a control which lets you route firebox hot air/ gases either under the cooking surface and out the chimey or (once the stove is up to heat) under the cooking surface then around the oven and out the chimney. This changing of the routing can be used to adjust oven temps. Bear in mind, for the oven to work well, that the passageway under the oven floor as well as over the top and outer side of the oven wall need have the soot buildup cleaned out periodically. Wish I was there to show you.
Old 01-01-2009, 02:25 PM   #15
Senior Cook

Yes I have the dampers and all, it's a huge thing with two ovens and a warming oven. I haven't tried using coal in it, I have seasoned hardwoods I got but I split it myself. I use birch to get it going and I do soups and stews well on top but its the ovens that drive me nuts. I like that thermomter, I think I will get one of those! My bread and roasts are ok but I have to keep an eye on it and make sure the fire isn't too hot.
It's really tricky and I was wondering if this is just going to be tricky forever but are there secrets to using these things?
Oh and soot buildup. That I have! But I'm real careful to clean that up. Its a mess. I get the chimneys cleaned twice a year. I have wood heat too.
Thanks for all your helps here! I do appreciate it alot. Maybe I'll get the hang of this just in time to wire the cabin for 220/240!
Old 01-01-2009, 03:09 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Erin, my oldest son and I are also members of a board called "HomesteadingToday.com." I just did a search there for woodstove cooking and came up with this. You might want to see what information they can give you.
Old 01-01-2009, 03:54 PM   #17
Executive Chef

oven thermometer is important, and a couple varied sized blocks of wood to prop the oven door open a bit and a bit more when it is too hot inside.
Old 01-01-2009, 05:19 PM   #18
Executive Chef

This is too cool, Erinny. I have no experience using, much less cooking with, a woodstove but I love reading about how you're doing it. Amazing! I hope you're blogging this somewhere and that you will share the link with us. You go, girl!
Old 01-01-2009, 08:38 PM   #19
Senior Cook

Thank you all! Katie, I went to the link and I think I'll join there. That is really interesting. There sure is a lot to this. Thank you all so very, very much!
EDIT: Thank you, Fisher's Mom! Maybe I will master this someday!
Old 01-01-2009, 09:01 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erinny View Post
Thank you all! Katie, I went to the link and I think I'll join there. That is really interesting. There sure is a lot to this. Thank you all so very, very much!
EDIT: Thank you, Fisher's Mom! Maybe I will master this someday!
Glad I could offer a resource. If you sign up there, please use Katie E as your referral member. That's my user name there.