Worcestershire Powder vs Liquid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Michael in FtW

Master Chef
Moderator Emeritus
In the history of TV cooking shows - before there was the Galloping Gourmet (Graham Kerr) or The Frugal Gourmet (Jeff Smith) there was The Gourmet (David Wade).

My Aunt gave me a copy of Wade's book The Magic Kitchen last Christmas - she found it at a garage sale for 10-cents. The problem is that he had a line of "stuff" marketed under his name - one of them was Worcestershire Powder - and that is what all of the recipes in his book calls for - his powder.

I know that Worcestershire powder is still around - but does anyone know the Powder to Liquid conversion rate? I've looked at the recipes and I'm guessing they are a 1:1 replacement (1 tsp powder = 1 tsp liquid). But, I just thought I would see if anyone has any experience using this stuff.

I have never seen the powder here in Canada, but a friend sent me some from MN. I use it in his rub recipe. I found the powder to be a bit less pungent than the liquid. I couldn't give you a ratio though. I just know I use more of it than I would the liquid.

Spice Barn (http://www.spicebarn.com/worcestershire_powder.htm) has Worcestershire Powder and suggests that a reconstitution would consist of:

For worcestershire sauce prepare by weight:
20% worcestershire powder, 30% vinegar (100 grain), 50% water

Based on this formulation I would think that 1:1 would be a bit too much Worcestershire Powder. But, this presupposes that all Worcestershire Powders are created equal.

Last edited:
Aurora said:
Based on this formulation I would think that 1:1 would be a bit too much Worcestershire Powder. But, this presupposes that all Worcestershire Powders are created equal.

Thanks, Aurora! That (20:30:50 by weight ratio) was the only conversion factor I could find. I've found several Worcestershire powders, looked at the ingredients, and have come to realize that not all are created equal. ARRGH!!!!! But NONE gave a powder to liquid ratio - and after looking at the ingredients I'm not sure one could be used for another.

I happen to have a bag of David Wade's Worcestershire Powder. It states on the back that 1tsp of his powder = 1tblsp of Worcestershire.

Hope this helps.

Gig Em'

Chris

Back
Top Bottom