World's Best Vegetarian Lasagna

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So why would you be "turned off" when someone suggests not using substitutes? I'm sorry. I just don't get the point of making a dish based on a recipe and deciding not to follow it.
Please explain your logic.
What specifically would you choose to 'substitute? Using ricotta cheese instead of a hard cheese?
Why do millions of people buy cookbooks every year? "The recipe calls for potatoes but I don't have any so I'll use macaroni instead. I'm sure there won't be any big difference in the final result". Really? "The classic 'BB' recipe calls for beef but I don't like beef so I'll use hot dog wieners instead."
Go ahead.

Your recipe sounds pretty good, Puffin. I don't have a food processor so I guess I'm out for making it exactly as written. :)

Regarding the bolded....are you saying that you NEVER adjust/adapt/tweak a recipe? If you have, please let us know the circumstances in which you feel that's appropriate.

Regarding the Boeuf Bourguignon example (sp?) - subbing 'hot dog weiners' is a big of a stretch, dontcha think? :)

Last edited:
So why would you be "turned off" when someone suggests not using substitutes? I'm sorry. I just don't get the point of making a dish based on a recipe and deciding not to follow it.
Please explain your logic.
What specifically would you choose to 'substitute? Using ricotta cheese instead of a hard cheese?
Why do millions of people buy cookbooks every year? "The recipe calls for potatoes but I don't have any so I'll use macaroni instead. I'm sure there won't be any big difference in the final result". Really? "The classic 'BB' recipe calls for beef but I don't like beef so I'll use hot dog wieners instead."
Go ahead.

I'm aware you directed that at me puffin, but by the time I got back to DC today, everyone else had said everything I would have said, but so much better. I wish you well. ;)

This is my last post on this forum.
Obviously when I used the words "exactly" I wasn't suggesting if you don't use a food processor to slice the mushrooms don't bother making the recipe. I was obviously referring to using the same ingredients.
No, I have never once in almost six decades of home and professional cooking ever decided to use a specific recipe but made any 'substitutions'. The point of using a recipe is to make the recipe according to the recipe not to think I'm so clever or the person who created the recipe is so dumb, that I can get the same result using weiner's instead of beef shoulder.
I open an Escoffier recipe book. I want to taste a dish as close to what Escoffier made a I can. So I follow the recipe. If I don't have clarified butter I either buy/make some but I don't use salted table butter. What's the point in that?
I've tried to offer some advice which resulted in me being trolled and stalked.
I get it. I don't belong here.
Good day.

No kidding. Besides, I don't bother making lasagna without Italian sausage ;) :chef:

Interesting you mention this. I never liked any kind of lasagna that had any meat. To the point that I stopped even tasting them. It was not until after I started making vegetarian lasagna that I started eating again

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

This is my last post on this forum.

Good day.

You are way too serious. Have ever seen a movie about real events, but the movie is "inspired" by said events? Have you ever heard people saying I was inspired to make something by reading A recipe? Have you ever consider that not everyone can obtain or even use the same ingredients you've used? I say you should take it easy and not worry so much. You posted recipe. Thank you. It is up to people what they are going to do with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

Hey puffin3, I fully agreed with CharlieD. Don't make it too serious. Let the people decide what want to do with the recipe. I personally had learned so many recipes from here since I have joined.

Back
Top Bottom