"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-02-2016, 04:06 PM   #11
Executive Chef

You lost me in the first paragraph. Onions give me such agita that we have a mutual non-aggression pact. I don't eat them, and they don't make me sleep sitting up.

Old 02-02-2016, 04:28 PM   #12
Master Chef

Slow down everyone. Puffin gave a recipe that he or she thinks is great, obviously one of the best that she/he has tasted. The idea is that he/she wants to share something delectable with the rest of us, and feels that to alter the recipe would ruin the experience. I believe the intent was to make sure we could all experience the promise of something the same as what puffin experienced.

Unfortunately, Puffin, your choice of words does come across as arrogant. Arrogance is not well tolerated here, whether it was intentional or not. I have been arrogant in my life, and always, I have been humbled by someone who did whatever I did better than I could.

Example: I have a pancake recipe that is well received, even somewhat famous in my home town and with certain groups in our sister city in Ontario. We had a contest here on DC to determine who had the best pancake recipe. Mine tied with several other people. Yes, mine is a great recipe, but not better that any of the other recipes that competed, just different. All of them were excellent, and had their place at the honors table.

We all have differing tastes. I think I make an outstanding liver pate', as does a close friend. DW, and most of my family think it's one of the worst tasting things ever. Of course they hate liver. If you ask them, it's a failure, and not worth the time or money to make. And they all have favorites that I think are ho-hum.

Puffin, I think your recipe looks great. I think my DW would find it not to her taste at all. Me, I say thank you for sharing. Wish I could have some for supper tonight. I can't afford to make it, and be the only one in the house to like it. That's just the way the world is.

Keep on sharing your best recipes. Just add a little humility in the way you present it. Some will love your best, and some will think that it's not so good, as it doesn't satisfy their palate.

I recently posted a recipe for plumb butter that I created. Only one person responded to it. I'm not annoyed as canned plumbs are really not very good, IMO. I wasn't surprised at the response.

And everyone else, I think we need to remember that teh way something is written doesn't always portray the intent of the poster. Let's all give each other the benefit of the doubt.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 04:57 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

World's Best Vegetarian Lasagna

Nicely put, Chief. We all have things we're passionate about. Puffin's recipe sounds lovely, but a less antagonistic attitude might be less off-putting. Hard to do on the internet at times, I know. Most of us here try to be kind and understanding, and we also have to play with our food!
Old 02-02-2016, 05:17 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Most of us here try to be kind and understanding,
Not me. At my age, my only goal left in life is to piss everyone off, at least once each year.
Old 02-02-2016, 05:19 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

World's Best Vegetarian Lasagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
Not me. At my age, my only goal left in life is to piss everyone off, at least once each year.

An excellent goal, SLoB! We all need to strive for this!
Old 02-02-2016, 05:29 PM   #16
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
An excellent goal, SLoB! We all need to strive for this!
I love the acronym of his user name.
Old 02-02-2016, 05:48 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
Slow down everyone. Puffin gave a recipe that he or she thinks is great, obviously one of the best that she/he has tasted. The idea is that he/she wants to share something delectable with the rest of us, and feels that to alter the recipe would ruin the experience. I believe the intent was to make sure we could all experience the promise of something the same as what puffin experienced.
And everyone else, I think we need to remember that teh way something is written doesn't always portray the intent of the poster. Let's all give each other the benefit of the doubt.
Ordinarily I would agree with you, Chief. Recent comments by this particular poster, however, indicate otherwise.
Old 02-02-2016, 05:59 PM   #18
Master Chef

Old 02-02-2016, 06:19 PM   #19
Head Chef

Wink

Well I dislike mushrooms so the recipe was a non starter for me.

Also, if the onion is 'sweet' why place it in a water bath to get rid of the bitterness? I am in UK so maybe am not familiar with the kind of onions you get in US but red onions are milder than the common brown skinned ones. I guess you get those in US?

I was hoping to read that roasted veg might feature (e.g. peppers, courgettes, tomatoes etc). That would be my kind of vegetarian lasagna. They also make a great variation on ratatouille.
Old 02-02-2016, 06:46 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
Well I dislike mushrooms so the recipe was a non starter for me.

Also, if the onion is 'sweet' why place it in a water bath to get rid of the bitterness? I am in UK so maybe am not familiar with the kind of onions you get in US but red onions are milder than the common brown skinned ones. I guess you get those in US?
We have yellow, red and white onions, plus other alliums. Sweet onions have less sulfuric acid, but they still have some. Rinsing cut onions removes some of it.

Vidalia onions are a type of sweet onion grown in Georgia. They have a high iron content because of the soil they're grown in: http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/06/d...e.html#vidalia

Tags
lasagna, vegetarian