"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-10-2007, 05:57 PM   #11
Cook

There's a good Mark Bittman article from 4/9/07 about the 'No Frills Kitchen.' He writes for the NY Times.

Old 08-10-2007, 06:01 PM   #12
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E
Toaster ovens are wonderful tools in a small space. We have a super GE one we bought at Wal-Mart. It has a rotisserie and two shelves that can each hold a standard 6-cup muffin pan. It's also large enough to cook a 2-quart casserole in. Love it.

I second the 2-burner hotplate, a Foreman-type grill, and a crock-pot. It's amazing what can be prepared in a crock-pot. You might also want to consider an electric skillet, too. They are quite handy and can almost be used like an oven for different dishes.
Katie, it sounds like we bought the same toaster oven?!?!?!

Old 08-10-2007, 06:19 PM   #13
Head Chef

Hi Easton. Whether you can get along with an efficiency kitchen or not I cannot answer. But you are a student and if you like the apartment there is a lot you can do with not all that many heating gadgets.

There is a wonderful museum in Boston, on the Fenway, the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum. It is certainly worth a look.

No, I am not changing the topic. When they opened a restaurant (for lunches I believe) the place had little more than a hotplate, an electric frying pan and maybe another couple of simple heating devices.

And the chef, a woman named Lois McKitchen Conroy used to turn out great plates with nothing more than those items. I have eaten there several times a number of years ago.

I know she did it initially in sparse kitchen surroundings because she then wrote a cookbook describing the stark atmosphere. But it is mostly a cookbook that includes many of the recipes she managed to come up with.

It is one of my favorite cookbooks. Whenever I feel bereft because I lack the needed cooking equipment, I open the book of the lady with the middle name of McKitchen (what a great name for a cook).

It used to be sold at the museum store ($15, or so, I think), but I can no longer find it listed on the website. But maybe they still have it, you can always call.

But better than that is you can pick up a used copy for a song from Amazon (a song being less than a couple of bucks plus of course the S&H).

If you like the apartment, and feel comfortable, go for it. You will have many challanges in the next few years. Cooking in an efficiency might just be one of the more pleasant of them.
Old 08-10-2007, 06:23 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by keltin
Katie, it sounds like we bought the same toaster oven?!?!?!
Dunno, keltin, but here's a link to the one we have. One of the things I like about it is that the door opens like a refrigerator door, so if and when things spill it's far easier to clean.
Old 08-10-2007, 06:24 PM   #15
Master Chef

When we were building our house, shop and greenhouses all at once , the shop was the first place we finished, so that I could get my business open in time for Christmas. We were still living in a rent house, but working nights on the new house, so I often brought my crock-pot to work with me and cooked supper in the shop.
When I made Italian Beef, the customers drooled. LOL

I would definately invest in an electric skillet. You can get one for less than $25, as you won't need a real big one.
Old 08-10-2007, 06:51 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Hi Easton,

You might also look at your layout and consider whether you could fit in a rolling work table. I have a big stainless steel one that I got for about $100 at Sam's. I got big industrial casters for it so I can roll it around and it has shelves underneath where I keep so much stuff - bread basket, dishtowels, slow cookers, etc. The casters make it really tall, which is great for me since I'm tall, but I also have 2 bar stools at it because I always have company with me in the kitchen (7 kids). However, you can re-purpose any small table that fits in your space by adding casters from the hardware store and maybe a towel bar at either end (or even all 4 sides) to use as handles and to hang things off of using S-hooks - like pots and pans, spatulas, etc. If you find one with a shelf underneath, even better. Anyway, it's like an island or work space that can be rolled out of the way when necessary. IKEA has a small stainless steel one with casters, shelves and rails for about $75. But MA is a great place to scour junk shops, resale shops etc. for a suitable table. Even a sturdy baby's changing table would work and you can usually pick one up used for $25-$30. Voila! More counter space and room underneath for your electric skillet, crock pot, grill etc.

Maybe you better just send us a key and your checkbook and we'll all show up and take care of this for you!

Terry
Old 08-10-2007, 07:26 PM   #17
Senior Cook

I, too, have a GE convection toaster oven from Wally World. I bought some of the small aluminum foil bread pans from the same place and I can bake two loaves of bread at the same time in the oven. I have fish sticks baking in it right now, as matter of fact.
Old 08-10-2007, 08:23 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Easton,

Yes, I think you can most definately get by with a microwave, toaster oven, and fridge (not sure about a hot plate, never used one). It would depend on how old the appliances are, but basically, as long as they work, then yes, you can cook. Good luck to you!
Old 08-10-2007, 09:27 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Do these type of apartments have some type of ventilation/exhaust system/hood in them?? An electric fry pan would create quite a bite of smoke/grease/etc.

Enjoy!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 09:30 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob
Do these type of apartments have some type of ventilation/exhaust system/hood in them?? An electric fry pan would create quite a bit of smoke/grease/etc.

Enjoy!
Uncle Bob....I'll have to take you to task here. Smoke? Grease? I've been cooking with an electric fry pan since 1968 and have never experienced any of these problems. Just "what" are you cooking in your electric skillet?