Would I be able to get by with an "efficiency kitchenette"?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Katie E said:
Uncle Bob....I'll have to take you to task here. Smoke? Grease? I've been cooking with an electric fry pan since 1968 and have never experienced any of these problems. Just "what" are you cooking in your electric skillet?

Katie E.

I don't own an electric skillet so obviously I don't cook anything in one.
On my stove when I use a skillet I am usually sauteing or frying. This creates this "stuff" (I call it grease/smoke) to rise up in the air where it is exausted out of my house through a vent hood over my stove. I was thinking an electric skillet would create this same "stuff" (Call it what you want.) So "what' are you cooking in an electric skillet that does not create this stuff that I see. If it is not being vented out, then where does it go?

Have Fun!

Katie E said:
Dunno, keltin, but here's a link to the one we have. One of the things I like about it is that the door opens like a refrigerator door, so if and when things spill it's far easier to clean.

Yep, that’s the exact one we have! I tried to find it on the Wal-Mart site but couldn’t…..even though that is where we bought it. Guess I didn’t use the right search words or something. I love it….but on occasion, that spring loaded door gets on my nerves. When baking something and I want to reach in and pull it out with both hands, the door keeps slamming against my arm.

Still, it’s a small price to pay for such a great unit. If you post and say there is a locking mechanism on the door that I haven’t found yet, then I’m gonna smack myself in the head with a wet noodle!:LOL:

keltin said:
Still, it’s a small price to pay for such a great unit. If you post and say there is a locking mechanism on the door that I haven’t found yet, then I’m gonna smack myself in the head with a wet noodle!:LOL:
Ummmm, keltin! If you open the door fully, it won't smack you. Guess you will have to rely on the noodle for that. Sowwy!:rolleyes:

Katie E said:
Ummmm, keltin! If you open the door fully, it won't smack you. Guess you will have to rely on the noodle for that. Sowwy!:rolleyes:

ARRRGGGGHHH! :bangin:

LOL! :ROFLMAO:

Ok, I just checked, and yeah, it will hold itself open if you open it all the way……but mine is on the counter near a wall, so I can’t open the door more than 90 degrees before the wall stops it. I had to pull it out and turn it sideways to check this, but it does hold itself open.

Hmmmmm…..maybe it’s time to re-arrange the kitchen? I really can’t believe this! :LOL:

Katie E said:
You could fashion a little doorstop out of a wine cork to stop the door if you can't move the toaster oven.

Hmmmmm….good idea! I’ll try that. I just so happen to have a container full of old wine corks. DW always asked me why I kept the corks (although I tend not to any more since they’ve started use the “synthetic” corks). Now, I can tell her this is why! ;)

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I thought it was going to be impossible.

FYI, I'm in the middle of making a decision between a couple of apartments.

Being from a military background, I grew up with Mom cooking in just about any conditions known to mankind. Since I followed suit, I cooked in just about anything you can imagine. Back in the "olden days", (i.e., before microwaves), Mom travelled with an electric skillet and a percolator that she removed the "Guts" from. Between the two of them she could cook us just about every dish known. We'd get soup or hot cereal made in the percolator. You can cook just about everything in the electric skillet. Since you have a hot plate, the electric skillet can be your second burner. Yes, we are all obviously in agreement; you can and will cook wonderful meals with just the basics. We often lived like this for months on end .... and we were a big family. I assume you are single from the posts I've read (I haven't read them all). But if Mom could cook for six, doing for yourself and occasional company should be a cinch. I agree with all to go for a toaster oven instead of a simple toaster, much more flexible. I also agree with someone, above, who said the teflon electric skillet is more versitile than the "George Foreman" type grills unless you eat that type of dish on a very regular basis (you can do stews, chilis, etc, in the skillet as well as meats and grilled sandwiches).

When I lived in Manhattan, the approximate size of my kitchen floor (where no appliances stood) was nine floor tiles. Do not clutter your kitchen with single purpose gadgets, keep it neat and organized, and the tiniest kitchen can work for you.

It got to a point that just before I left that apartment, I could throw my hand back behind me and know which pan I grabbed. I turned out some great meals from that kitchen, not to mention a mountain of baked goods.

On the topic of tiny apartment kitchens, I have what some consider a "Normal" sized apartment kitchen, except Sister Dearest has managed to put some manner of crud on every piece of bench space. Scales, cereal boxes, dirty dishes, paper towel, rubbish knives in blocks, dodgy cutting boards, all her fruit and vegetables, the toaster... Everything is out and in the way. Any attempt by me to move it is reacted to by screaming, smashing, abusive *****iness. (I think she's mentally unbalanced. I'm not being fascetious.) I've taken to taking my kitchen out of my kitchen... With my camp gas stove.

It only cost me $20AU, and takes cheap cas canisters that cost about $2 each. I've not used a whole one yet. I take it onto the balcony, set it up and cook on that. Saves me from my stressful kitchen and my horrible electric cooktop.

Sister Dearest has managed to put some manner of crud on every piece of bench space....Any attempt by me to move it is reacted to by screaming, smashing, abusive *****iness.

Sweet Jesus...Why don't you just move? I can barely tolerate my roommate (to whom I am not related) but she knows the kitchen is mine. She can't boil water so she doesn't argue with me.

I could not live in a place where I wasn't allowed to control the kitchen.

Back
Top Bottom