"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 12-02-2008, 01:29 PM   #11
Head Chef

Not sure if you're into sourdough, but since I was making sourdough bread over the weekend, my starter is in great shape. Soooooo, I dug out a sourdough pancake recipe and tried it out. Yep, they came out nice and fluffy, with just a nice "tang" to them. Here's the recipe:

Sourdough Pancakes

The night before, mix well (to incorporate some air) 1 cup of your sourdough starter with 1 cups of all purpose flour and 1 cup of warm water (85-90). Leave at warm room temperature (70-85) overnight, covered well with plastic wrap.

The next morning, return 1 cup of the starter mixture to the fridge. Then mix the remaining 1 cups of starter with:

1 egg, slightly beaten
1 Tablespoon of sugar (or more if you like)
1 Tablespoon of melted butter
Teaspoon of salt
teaspoon (generous) of baking soda
2 Tablespoons of milk

Try to have your ingredients at room temperature. This will help to make more tender pancakes.
Bake on a 400 griddle.

I'm actually culturing my starter in volume to give as Christmas gifts to some friends who like to bake bread, but who have not tried sourdough. I was lucky to get my starter going on the first try using a recipe from Breadtopia.com, and have found it to be very hardy. It is made from airborne yeast, so it can be called Mentor Ohio starter. Eric at Breadtopia uses whole wheat flour to make new starter, but I used Unbleached, unbromated white bread flour with excellent results. He also has information on the "care & feeding" of your starter, which is a necessity to keep it alive and well. Enjoy!