Would you buy frozen mire-poix?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Quadlex

Cook
I like French and Italian food, and also like vegetables. So I tend to make alot of Mire Poix, meaning I've always got to have Celery, Carrots and Onions on hand.

I don't mind the last two, because I'm a big fan of Onions and Carrots never go off. Celery, however, is not one of my favourite foods. I can't stand the flavour, if it's left in a recognizable form (IE in stock, sauce and so on, it's fine). What makes it worse, is that it perishes very quickly in the fridge, so I either eat alot of it after buying, or omit it all together.

Snap freezing vegetables is a bit of a touchy topic among some foodies. Some people think it's fine for vegetables when they're ingredients (And not features) of a meal (Such as made into soup), and some hate them. I'm in the former camp, for most vegetables... Peas don't suffer much from freezing, and buying fresh Cauliflower is darn expensive for me. Plus, when I'm cooking in stews and soups I don't notice much of a flavour loss, so I'm willing to use the convenience of frozen vegetables.

Some people I know would love to be good in the kitchen. They love good food and almost love cooking, but find (say) chopping three vegetables into bits to be too time consuming to bother with.

So I'm wondering if there's a market for frozen mire-poix, similar to how you can buy frozen vegetable mixes. Have it in the three sizes commonly used, so people can use it in all sorts of meals. Snap freeze them once chopped to keep them as 'fresh' as possible. Sell cheap because you're mass producing them:P

Would my fellow DC'ers buy this? Would they shudder to think what a perversion of cooking it was? Would they buy a bag and stick it in the freezer incase they ever need it?

Although I often make too much and freeze it for another occasion, I wouldn't buy it frozen. Items like that are often thawed and refrozen multiple times, and that would render it mush and useless. When I freeze it, I know how long it's been in there...

I keep some in my freezer - it wasn't sold as mire-poix, but something like "seasoning veggies" or similar. I just take out what I need and put the rest right back in the freezer. I've had very good results. I don't remember who markets the product.

I don't know that I would buy frozen either. I may give it a try but often keep frozen celery and carrots for mire poix.

No I would not buy it frozen. I am never that busy that I cannot chop my own vegetables.

I like playing with my knives. I chop fresh. In fact the only veggies I ever buy frozen are peas and chopped spinach (for use in baked canapes or lasagnas.)

I would think alot of the aromas and flavors would be lost in the processing/packaging. I use Mire Poix in ALOT of my dishes. When I prepare it, I give little pieces of carrot or bell pepper to the Mutt.

I`de probably have some home prepared and frozen as a standby, but would sooner make it fresh where possible.

but if you only Have frozen then sure, why not :)

Any time I chop saute vegetables, I do extra and freeze in ziplocks, and they hold up just fine. I've also bought some of those frozen vegetable mixes, and they're all right. It depends on the brand and how long they've been frozen. Really, it's so easy to do your own, it's generally not worth the extra expense of buying frozen ones. I did it because one summer I had tennis elbow in both arms, and doing much of anything with my hands was extremely painful.

I have rheumatoid arthritis in my hands and tend to do lots of shortcuts I didn't do before. If it is a good time for me, I don't mind the chopping, but sometimes I don't feel like chopping at all, but still need the veggies. They come in very handy and I'm certainly not averse to making things easier for myself - especially if the difference isn't noticeable.

I bought some frozen bell pepper slies once just because they were on sale and I had never tried them before. They turned pretty mushy when they thawed out. I think that celery would do the same. Carrots hold up pretty well after being frozen, and I have also purchased bags of chopped onions, when on sale of course, split them into 1/2 cup and 1 cup sandwich baggies and frozen them, and they held up fairly well, but like everyone else here, I have expensive knives that are designed to do this task, and I usually enjoy doing it. In fact, as long as I had fresh stuff in the vegetable bins, I used to always forget that I had those bell pepper pieces and prechopped onions in the freezer and use fresh. I only resorted to the frozen stuffwhen I ran out of fresh and was in th emiddle of perparation. It took me forever to use that frozen stuff up!

Wrap your celery in foil pressing to conform to the shape - it will last for weeks. Do the "burrito" roll - place on foil, fold ends over towards center, then roll and press.

I am changing my vote.

I would buy a bag to try it and if it was good quality, I would keep a bag in the freezer as a backup. Heck, I often use veggies for mire poix that are a little past their prime.

I am in the no, I would rather do it myself column. My daughter says the same thing about not liking celery, but she never complains about it when it's in nearly everything I do - she's 40 not 10 though.

Back
Top Bottom