Would you eat BUGS???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GrillingFool

Head Chef
Would you eat BUGS????
Posted Today at 12:21 PM by larruone
Yesterday was the annual BUGFEST at the NC Museum of Natural Science... complete with the traditional free buffet of insect enhanced eats!
(They usually have an evening eats with gourmet food from local chefs, but not this year.)

So, what was on the menu?
Antchiladas.... Basic enchilada with toasted ants on top. Ants are like little bacon bits, not bad.
Crawfish Dip... Hey crawfish ain't no bug! OK, maybe technically....
But this was some nasty, crawfish free dip. Think mayo, ketchup, hot sauce and maybe a jar of salsa. Ick.
Silkworm Ice Cream Topping... the worms were sauteed in something I didn't catch. Alone, they weren't bad, but had a bothersome aftertaste. On the ice cream, they were actually pretty good.
Ant Quesadilla... best of the lot. Simple tortilla and some cheese with ants sprinkled on top.
Mealy Bug Hushpuppy... also not bad. A hushpuppy with crunch. Mealy bugs are really good on cookies. They had those last year.
Bug Salsa.... think cheap jarred salsa with some sauteed mealy bugs. If the salsa had been better....

It is my personal opinion that the Bugfest Buffet is providing a dis-service to the field of entomophagy (bug eating).
THE FOOD ITSELF, without the bugs, is bad. So OF COURSE it tastes bad.

I have decided that I definitely like my bugs crunchy. No gooey bugs please.

umm no, I will pass!!
7.gif

I ate an ant once but it was by accident. Tasted quite bitter I may add.

Same here, only if I had to.
I don't eat food because of a fad or shock value, or just to be able to say I ate something, so I don't care how the bugs would be fixed. They would be on someone else's plate ;)

Ate bugs in the army...better than nothing, but I probably wouldn't order them out or have them at home. In some cultures, bugs are a delicacy and a preferred food.

I would not eat them in a house.
I would not eat then with a mouse.
I would not eat them here or there.
I would not eat them ANYWHERE!!!!

(although my sea-critter loving husband woud tell me I do eat bugs when I eat bottom feeders....)

Thanks for the Dr. Suess Suzi!!!

My answer to the bug eating question - NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(hope that wasn't too blunt!) :LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:

Not while I'm conscious and able to fight them off....................

(Taken from Yahoo Answers..)On average, people ingest between 2-3 spiders per year while they are sleeping. Spiders (and other insects) like dark, damp places to hide, and your mouth is sometimes seen as a 'perfect' place to hide. Gross, isn't it?

Don't stress to much about it though, chances are you have already eaten a couple of dozen spiders and you never even knew about it. Just think of it as protein! Sweet dreams...

I would not eat them in a house.
I would not eat then with a mouse.
I would not eat them here or there.
I would not eat them ANYWHERE!!!!

(although my sea-critter loving husband woud tell me I do eat bugs when I eat bottom feeders....)

You crack me up!!!!:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

I eat clams, mussels, raw oysters and snails and love every one of them. But there is no way I will eat a bug. I don't know why people would even think to do that but not me. If you want to see something really gross (and don't we all? :LOL:) tune in to Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmerman. This man eats some of the grossest stuff I ever saw including anything that crawls. He travels all over the world to eat what the people in other countries eat, but only the truly bizarre and disgusting stuff. OMG, are these people kidding?? I guess it's better than starving. Maybe.

Want some "fun"?
Research what is acceptable amounts of bug eggs, larva, pieces and bugs
in processed food. Some are amazingly high!

Back
Top Bottom