"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 06-09-2005, 12:57 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I knew you could get sugar from beets... but, I thought it was a special product of some kind.

I guess, I don't really care too much though... as long as it tastes and acts like sugar.

Old 06-12-2005, 02:41 PM   #12
Senior Cook

I can tell a difference. I noticed it the first time I put brown sugar in my oatmeal and noticed that I had to use about twice as much beet sugar as the sugar cane sugar to get the sweetness I desired.

I guess I'm a snob thus mr_dove has to buy the c&h sugar.

Old 06-12-2005, 03:55 PM   #13
Cook

Hmmm to me no big difference. As long as it tastes like it supposed to i'll eat it. I'm not really that healthy.

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it by not dying." - Woody Allen
mitch_the_chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 04:04 PM   #14
Sous Chef

This, phrased one way or another, is essentially what I found on every website about sugar, except for the C&H site, which, of course, said there is a difference:

"Because the sweetener is processed down to pure sucrose, there is no essential difference in taste or usage between cane sugar and beet sugar, and they are generally used interchangeably, except by the rare person who might be allergic to one plant source, but not the other."

As a matter of fact, I read that many vegans prefer beet sugar because cane sugar is filtered through cow bone char to whiten it. Beet sugar doesn't need to be whitened, because it's already white. I've never held the assumption that sugar had to only come from a sugar cane plant to be sugar, because I've always known that sugar also came from beets. Because it's called sugar cane doesn't mean that is the only place sugar comes from. The beets in question are also called sugar beets. There are also sugar snap peas, and as far as I know, we don't get sugar from them.

BC
Old 06-13-2005, 02:33 PM   #15
Master Chef

I, too, grew up out west where sugar beets were a local crop, so it was no surprise to me that sugar comes in many forms, most popularly cane, beet and corn. People who've mentioned it are right, almost no cane is grown in the US any more. Some in Louisiana, but I'm not sure there's even any grown in Hawaii any more (I used to live between a fields of cane and those of pineapple, but I think real estate has gotten too expensive for farming any more). I, personally, cannot taste the difference between a product sweetened with any of the three. I did hear an interesting story when I was on the road once, about Coca-cola needing to change from cane to corn syrup for $$ reasons. Because they thought some would be able to tell the difference, they marketed a new Coke they knew no one would like, then went back to "classic" coke; but with a difference, it was then made with corn syrup instead of the more expensive cane. Since no one could do a side-by-side taste test, everyone was just glad they went back to their "original" formula and didn't notice the difference. The fact is virtually the only pop I drink is diet .... but I doubt I'd notice the difference anyway.