"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 10-22-2008, 08:34 PM   #11
Master Chef

i ask fer a manager to recieve a re-fund, though i won't return a meal, as i don't want tampered-with food.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:51 PM   #12
Executive Chef

When I was chef at a place close to the place I worked in the ski area I once sent back a dinner called Tequila Shrimp with I think pasta the shrimp was not peeled or deveined and had been cooked so long you couldn't even pull the shrimp apart without a lot of effort and I mean a lot of effort they offered another meal but I just stayed with my salad I was just to irritated. The other thing I may send back is in a sit down place and I'm getting french fries I want them brownish and crispy on the outside not white and limp. I have noticed in the past couple of years they seem to tend to under cook french fries in a lot of places. Other than that that I will send back something that is just terrible but if I do I wont order something else and I never return. It never ceases to amaze me how a place can ruin a simple meal although I must say it happens rarely but when it dos it is really disappointing. Not to mention some of the most mediocre meals I have had I don't send them back but still disapointed but that only happens when I travel because I have no clue where to go. This includes room service or a delivery at a hotel some are right on and some are totally off.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:26 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

i send or take it back. always. doesn't matter what kind of place. fancy or take out or pizza delivery. at any price food should be as billed. fries-hot , chicken-done-steak -rare. i may not take another meal but insist on either i don't pay for it, or i get a coupon for a free meal. they take my money, they better deliver it right.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:43 PM   #14
Sous Chef

Depends, if it's a question of quality -over or undercooked to extreme, yes I'll send it back. If my FF are cold, I'm bummed cuz I love ff and hardly ever have them, but I don't sent them back. I just don't eat 'em. If it's that I don't like the dish because the taste doesn't meet my expectations, well, that's a bummer as well. I'm just not going to order that dish again.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:55 PM   #15
Head Chef

As a chef I all ways checked my dinning room during service when time permitted and was quick to rectify something that was not what they wanted. I instructed my wait staff to check and not to be shy about bringing something back for what ever reason.
As a result I had a long tenure at my country club during the reign of three different managers. Which being a chef is a lot like a foot ball couch if you don't wow the fans you don't have a job
Old 10-24-2008, 12:00 AM   #16
Master Chef

I have no problem sending something back if what I get is not what I ordered. Fortunately, this has probably only happened 5-6 times in my life (and I'll be 60 in 3-4 weeks).

One thing - one IMPORTANT thing - is don't get rude with your waitperson, be polite. Kitchens screw up orders some times - your waitperson didn't cook the food. I've never had a problem getting the problem resolved ASAP by being polite ... and I've seen some real jerks make a big boisterous show (like they were going to impress someone by berating the waitperson) and they were still waiting for their meal when I finished and paid the check.
Old 10-24-2008, 12:07 AM   #17
Master Chef

I'm with Michael on this one. If what I ordered is wrong, or something does not come out right (over cooked, under cooked, don't taste right), it goes back. We eat out alot and pay good money expecting good food.

When sending back food, I do it with the utmost respect for the waiter and cooks/chefs. Things happen and some places have a bad night. I am polite and understanding as long as they are willing to hear and address my complaint. If they take care of me the right way, I will reward the waiter for their attentiveness despite whatever came out wrong with our food. I have been to some places where they could care less that I got an unsatisfactory meal.... last time I go there!
Old 10-24-2008, 05:28 AM   #18
Head Chef

Michael and Sattie have it right. A friend's son once told me that instead of leaving and complaining to others about whatever you are dissatisfied with,(thereby causing a loss of potential customers) let the wait staff or whomever know so that they can fix it.
Old 10-24-2008, 07:59 AM   #19
Master Chef

Yup - more agreement. Always be polite. You're sadly mistaken if you think you're going to get better treatment &/or service if you behave like some kind of rude, sarcastic animal - regardless of the mistake(s) the restaurant made.
Old 10-24-2008, 10:08 AM   #20
Master Chef

If it is the wrong order, back it goes. That has only happened once or twice. There have been times the entree is correct but they may give me different sides. That stays and I usually eat the sides anyway. Only twice did I want to send food back and neither time did I do it. Once at a Don Pablo's our food was cold. It was room temp so who knows how long it had to be sitting to be cooled down that much from cooking. The other time we were at a steak place with friends and I ordered a med rare steak and it was more than well done. Again I choked it down because we were with friends. I didn't want to make everyone else wait while I ate after them. I'm usually the slow eater in the group to start and usually the last to finish. I was younger then too. Now I think I would speak up more.