"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 10-24-2008, 09:44 AM   #21
Senior Cook
I've sent things back on occasion or complained to the manager. I do it discreetly though. For instance my dd and I went to dinner the other night and we had steak. She ordered soup for an appy and I ordered mussels. She got her soup and they never brought my mussels until they brought our steaks. (I couldn't find the waiter to ask about my mussels) I wasn't happy that I had to eat my mussels while my steak sat getting cold. The manager came over to ask about our meal and I told him. He took my steak and prepared me another one after I finished my mussels. He offered to take my meal off the bill but I insisted since I was eating it their was no reason for my not paying. He did offer a free glass of wine which I accepted. All was good! Now my dd knows why I don't usually order dinner until the appy is served. lol

homecook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 10:21 AM   #22
Executive Chef
I don't often send food back. I find steak is not often cooked correctly, but I just eat it. The only food I have sent back have both been appetisers. One was a stuffed avocado where the avocado was very stringy and inedible.The other was some prawns that did not taste nice at all.

"For to be free is not merely to cast off one's chains, but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others." - Nelson Mandela
miniman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 11:32 AM   #23
Master Chef
I have sent food back upon occasion. Once I ordered a medium-rare prime rib, and when it arrived, it was so cold that the fat was congealed. When I finally got it back, it was way over done.

There have been other times I should have, but I guess I've mellowed out as I've aged.
We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 01:12 PM   #24
Head Chef
i will send food back if it is not cooked how i requested it .. not to the extreme ..
or if its not something i ordered ..
but i ask them to take it off the bill .. i will eat a salad or something .. but i
dont want whoever i am eating with to have to wait around for me ...
and i know what can happen when you send food back ..
love2"Q" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 02:07 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire
it depends on the restaurant, the prices, and the idea that the place tries to sell as their standard of service.

in a burger joint or diner, the food would have to be horriffic for me to send it back. in a high end place - we're talking $20 appys and $40 entrees and up, then they'd better get everything right, without an attitude.
there's nothing worse than a service industry job that has a hard time understanding the service part.

i should add, before vb lances me, that the manager that dee mentioned went above and beyond, and would have been ok in my book, retaining the 20% tip.
in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 11:34 AM   #26
Sous Chef
Oh, God! Stop me if you've heard this. I rarely send food back, but one occasion sticks with me, even after 34 years. I was stationed at Ft. Benning, GA. I went downtown (Columbus) one night for dinner, and stopped in at the Waverly Hotel. I was unfamiliar with their kitchen, but the bartender was a friend. I sat at a table, and the place was rather plain...what you would expect in a "G.I. town." The menu was nothing to write home about. I quickly settled on a Reuben. The sandwich came out in short order, so far so good. It was sliced diagonally, and I noticed a hair sticking out of the sandwich, where it had been cut. I called the waiter over, and as he looked at the sandwich, I removed the top slice of toasted bread. What appeared to be a hair was the antenna of a roach about two inches long, nestled in the dressing. Needless to say, I turned down the offer of a free meal, got my money back and never strayed farther into the Waverly than the bar again.
gadzooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 05:16 PM   #27
Head Chef
If it really isn't what it supposed to be(a cold bacon dressing) you bet, I would send it back in a heart beat.

Undercooked steak... probably not going to happen for me. I like the rare side of medium rare. As long as it isn't blue and cold I like it.

I have sent food back in expensive restaurants and it seemed like a big deal. I have also mentioned the food was not quite what I thought it should be in diners and had a new meal brought out without asking.

if the food is just plain bad, you a dis-service to other patrons not telling them.
Jeff G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 05:23 PM   #28
Senior Cook
At fast food joints I never send back, even if it's the wrong order. I once ordered a cheeseburger and got a crispy chicken sandwhich instead...oh well...it's jack in the box, what can ya do. At nice places I MIGHT kindly, humbly and apologetically send something back if I wanted it cooked more, rewarmed, or something similar, but never if they are just going to throw it away. I HATE waisting food, and I can't imagine something being so bad I'd just want it trashed.
snack_pack85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 05:31 PM   #29
Executive Chef
Snack that reminds me of a time I had to send a steak back because it was just too raw (and being pregnant at the time that was a no no to eat) I thought they would just cook it a little further but it turns out that they are not alowed to do that they must throw it away and start from scratch due to health code, I felt horrible wasting ALL that food, if it was any other time I would have just eaten it!
"Many people have eaten my cooking & gone on to lead Normal lives."

deelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 08:51 PM   #30
Assistant Cook
If it's undercook meat or the wrong order I would.

valscookbook is offline   Reply With Quote