"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 05-22-2016, 01:18 AM   #41
Chef Extraordinaire

Like I said Kayelle, when I finally got around to typing it up to my style, I had forgotten where I got it from. I still have a pile in my file that needs my attention. Some day I will sit down and go over all of them and type them up.

Old 05-22-2016, 05:49 AM   #42
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I have lost too much data over the years with different types of media, so it gives me great peace of mind to turn the responsibility over to a professional company. It's well worth the $50 or so per year to me. YMMV, of course.
Online storage from a reputable provider is an effective strategy. I maintain and verify my own backups, because that's what I did for years professionally. Maintaining the integrity of company data is something that I kept my hand in, as it was my butt if there was a problem.

But back to the original topic, with apologies to Andy for the diversion. Now that I'm retired and have a lot more time to pursue new recipes, I'm still working out the best way to maintain my files. I don't really care about the format. The one thing that I have started to do is to include the source, as I have a bunch of recipes that I have no idea where they came from. Many of them are from various web sites, so in addition to the copied recipe, I include the link to the instructions, pictures, etc. If the source / reference was from a DC member, I also include that.

I used to keep recipes on 5x8 cards, but am finding that many no longer fit on them if I include detailed instructions. Now it's regular 8-1/2 x 11 paper.

Old 05-22-2016, 08:09 AM   #43
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenspeed View Post
Online storage from a reputable provider is an effective strategy. I maintain and verify my own backups, because that's what I did for years professionally. Maintaining the integrity of company data is something that I kept my hand in, as it was my butt if there was a problem.
So did I, and I always hated it The most boring, yet important, task ever.
Old 05-22-2016, 05:40 PM   #44
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Yes, that batter and method would work great for fish taco's CG. I'd chunk up the fish before frying to have more surface area, or maybe cook strips of fish to lay in the tortilla.

Interesting about the shrimp at Serious Eats! SC came home with a bag of big raw frozen shrimp yesterday, so I'll be trying it soon!
To make them like the ones we had from the street vendors in La Paz, Baja, they'd be about 1 inch square and about 1/2 inch thick. They put 3 pieces about that size in each tortilla, then you went around to other the side of the cart which was three stepped shelves with at least a dozen different garnishes and condiments that you could mix and match as you liked.

I've had fish tacos in a lot of US restaurants, and I've had some that were very good, but never anything that could quite compare to what we got in Baja. Those taco wagons also offered shrimp, octopus, squid... all battered and deep fried, and at that time back in the mid 90's, 7 pesos ($1) each.
Old 05-22-2016, 07:42 PM   #45
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
To make them like the ones we had from the street vendors in La Paz, Baja, they'd be about 1 inch square and about 1/2 inch thick. They put 3 pieces about that size in each tortilla, then you went around to other the side of the cart which was three stepped shelves with at least a dozen different garnishes and condiments that you could mix and match as you liked.

I've had fish tacos in a lot of US restaurants, and I've had some that were very good, but never anything that could quite compare to what we got in Baja. Those taco wagons also offered shrimp, octopus, squid... all battered and deep fried, and at that time back in the mid 90's, 7 pesos ($1) each.
After 10,000 miles of bland food on that cruise, we landed at Cabo San Lucas. We headed for an outdoor restaurant right by the pier and ate some wonderful fish tacos with fresh salsa. It was like we knew we were on our way home.
Old 05-22-2016, 07:43 PM   #46
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenspeed View Post
I used to keep recipes on 5x8 cards, but am finding that many no longer fit on them if I include detailed instructions. Now it's regular 8-1/2 x 11 paper.

Pirate has stated that he wants to start his own collection of his favorite recipes of his childhood. So I have been printing them out for him and he now keeps them in a hard cover 3-ring binder. Included in his collection are more recent recipes that I have found and made. If they were a hit with him, he wants the recipe. I am only too happy to assist him.
Old 05-22-2016, 08:17 PM   #47
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
After 10,000 miles of bland food on that cruise, we landed at Cabo San Lucas. We headed for an outdoor restaurant right by the pier and ate some wonderful fish tacos with fresh salsa. It was like we knew we were on our way home.
When you have a captive audience on a boat, you do have to under season and prepare more or less bland food. It is not like anyone can just step off the boat at any time and buy something more edible on shore.
Old 05-22-2016, 08:25 PM   #48
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
When you have a captive audience on a boat, you do have to under season and prepare more or less bland food. It is not like anyone can just step off the boat at any time and buy something more edible on shore.
Ah, unless you are on a Transatlantic cruise, the ship stops in a port almost every day. You can get off and sample the local cuisine as we did in Lima, and many other ports.
Old 08-28-2016, 02:33 PM   #49
Sous Chef

I guess I'm bringing this thread back from the dead, but I had to ask: Doesn't anyone besides me still use handwritten recipe cards and a recipe box anymore?

I found a wooden recipe box with painted strawberries on it on eBay and got a bunch of old fashioned recipe cards there too. Then I bought a bunch more from House-Mouse (where else?). The recipe box stays on the shelf over my counter.

I usually fill out one or two cards a day, hoping I'll get caught up soon. I may never, though, at the rate I find recipes I want to try.
Old 08-28-2016, 04:04 PM   #50
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I guess I'm bringing this thread back from the dead, but I had to ask: Doesn't anyone besides me still use handwritten recipe cards and a recipe box anymore?

I found a wooden recipe box with painted strawberries on it on eBay and got a bunch of old fashioned recipe cards there too. Then I bought a bunch more from House-Mouse (where else?). The recipe box stays on the shelf over my counter.

I usually fill out one or two cards a day, hoping I'll get caught up soon. I may never, though, at the rate I find recipes I want to try.
I list every little step so it makes for a long list of steps. By the time I have it all down, there is never enough room for the whole recipe. So it just makes sense to put them in the computer. I also back up my recipes on my flash drive.

Tags
recipe