"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-28-2016, 05:12 PM   #51
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I guess I'm bringing this thread back from the dead, but I had to ask: Doesn't anyone besides me still use handwritten recipe cards and a recipe box anymore?
I guess not I had a recipe box for a while, but I never used it much. It doesn't hold enough for me.

Many years ago, my then-stepmother gave me a photo album with plastic covers over the pages, with some of her favorite recipes in it. I added to it for a long time. Then I started keeping them on the computer and now the photo album is falling apart

I'm a book lover, and I have two shelves for cookbooks in my kitchen, so now I organize recipes in three-ring binders. When my husband was teaching high school years ago, he got me this recipe holder made by a student in the shop class. Makes it easy to see them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1472418729394.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	25261   Click image for larger version

Name:	1472418751546.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	25262  

Old 08-28-2016, 05:24 PM   #52
Master Chef

I'm ADD to an extent I think, and glad to have sites like this to come to.............I'm considered a good cook and that's what matters to me........I know a lot about a lot of things......I'm confident and don't hesitate to give my opinions on things that I know a lot about.......otherwise I'm ignorant on a lot of other things....you've probably noticed in the past....aren't we all.......it's not a fault.......it's life still in transition....it's okay.........but what a great site to come to.......and I thank all the moderators for their time and efforts.......y'all are dealing with a lot of peope from different cultures, languages, values, etc.,......hats off to you..........

Old 08-29-2016, 06:09 AM   #53
Head Chef

I use a 3 ring binder too, but not properly.
For whatever reason, Im too lazy to grand punch the holes so I just stuff the recipes in there like a folder, then curse every time I need a recipe and they all fall out or I can't find it. Always saying " This winter Im going to organize the recipes so it never happens again!!" and as each spring comes around, I just have a thicker, more unorganized folder/ Binder . Some recipes are hand written by me, some are computer print outs, some clipped from the paper or magazined, some even hand written by my mother , father , or grand father. And thats why I kinda like having the folder/ binder, is for the ones that are hand written by my parents/ grandmothers. Kinda cool to see the recipe in their writing. Some of the recipes even have food stains on them, or a burned corner from being too close to the burner . Their physical appearance tells a stpry all by themselves.

Another winter project ( which I never get to) is to make a family cook book out of them, with pictures , family stories about each recipe, and save it for when my kids get married and give them each a copy.

One day....,

larry.
Old 08-29-2016, 09:36 AM   #54
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm a compulsive organizer I keep a three-hole punch on my desk, so I punch the sheets right after I print them.

The handwritten recipes I have are in the photo album I mentioned. When I move them to the binder, I'll tape them to individual sheets.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1472477730737.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	25264   Click image for larger version

Name:	1472477744764.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	25265  

Name:	1472477790004.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	25266  
Old 08-29-2016, 10:04 AM   #55
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I'm a compulsive organizer I keep a three-hole punch on my desk, so I punch the sheets right after I print them...
My three-hole punch sits next to the printer. I use tabbed dividers. Staples has neat ones that you can print the labels for.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1110.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	25267  

Tags
recipe