WWYD in this situation (large Chateaubriand)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My dear friend who makes Christmas dinner (a prime rib roast) invites everyone back for thick roast beef sandwiches a few days later (which can be done in a very elegant manner). I, being of less hospitable nature (haha) would freeze it and decide at a later date. Our weather has been such that I understand not knowing who is coming out of the cold for supper!

But this is NOT a roast beef. My thread title was changed! Chateaubriand is a large, center-cut filet mignon. It's not like having roast beef leftovers. It's like have filet mignon leftovers where the next time you warm it up, it quickly cooks through and becomes a sorry piece of meat. And it's not roasted, it's grilled then left over indirect heat to cook through. Freezing it would have been the worst thing to do with leftover chateaubriand. It has no fat on it to keep it moist. That's why I didn't want a bunch of leftovers. Moderators, please change my title back!

All fixed. And agreed, Chateaubriand should NOT be treated like roast beef, not even prime rib or standing rib.

Velochic, I think you did the best thing (as I said before) if your family is not voracious then cutting it up is the best way to go. I have two teenage daughters and boy oh boy that piece of meat would not have survived the night with those two carnivores around! I don't suppose you took pictures did you?

Thanks Alix!

I have a picture of the meal on a plate and I could take a picture of the steaks I cut for the steak diane I'll make next week, but not of the whole chateaubriand before I cut it. I'll try to figure out how to post a pic.

img_868021_0_560a4044da951de54917552ce9a8256f.jpg

This is a picture of what I served. The sliced chateaubriand with bearnaise sauce, chateau potatoes (tourneed roasted potatoes, basically), roasted asparagus, homemade yeast rolls, etc. Sorry about the lighting. We ate by candlelight.

That looks very, very yummy!
(BTW, I often adjust my lighting, sharpness, exposure, contrast etc. using iphoto, to make it look more like it does in "real life")

Back
Top Bottom