"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2017, 02:49 AM   #41
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Cooking View Post
Our apartment is the first on the left, with the only fireplace in the building..

So cute! It looks like an old motel was refurbished into apartments. Is your place the entire length of that first floor, or are you guys squeezed cheek-to-cheek in only half of it?

Now maybe it's time to post a pic or two in the "Our Kitchens" thread. Just sayin'...

"A dream is a festival of lights within your mind."~~~Joan Walsh Anglund
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 02:51 AM   #42
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
Ross....what a cute place! Complete with the white picket fence - I LOVE it, and thank you for sharing!

When you have an hour or so to kill, you might like this thread that kgirl started a few years ago. It's one of my favorites.

This Is Where I'm From
You are right Cheryl. It is a great read. Also Kayelle and her husband Sous Chef have a fantastic travel one. Sous Chef started it even before he met and married Kayelle. So Kayelle is not in the first part. She comes later. That is a do nothing Saturday read when you have a day full of time to kill.

When someone takes the time to keep a blog, I make it a point to read it. Then I can make an honest comment on it. I would never make a negative one though. Only point out the parts I enjoyed the most. I have read some blogs that are so painful that I quit in the middle and never went back. I can forgive poor spelling and even English construction. It is not an easy language, even if it is your mother tongue. But when you write a sentence that starts with "I ain't got no..." I am out of there in a hurry.

So read Kgirl and Kayelle's blogs. You will love them both and be filled with envy.

Old 09-13-2017, 08:11 AM   #43
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
So cute! It looks like an old motel was refurbished into apartments. Is your place the entire length of that first floor, or are you guys squeezed cheek-to-cheek in only half of it?

Now maybe it's time to post a pic or two in the "Our Kitchens" thread. Just sayin'...

Thank you CG... It does have a bit of a motel look, doesn't it? It was built as an apartment building in 1956.. It has been in one family since being built.. Great landlord...

I wish our apartment went the entire length...lol.. The second window (past the shuttered door) is to our kitchen area and wall of the next apartment.. Our apartment is only 700 sq ft...There are only 8 units, one of which the owner rents out as a vacation pad.. He is very strict as to who he allows to stay there as the perm tenants are mostly older folk...

Ross
Old 10-03-2017, 09:58 PM   #44
Executive Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Talking about shopping lists ...
For a while now, I've learned that it's "a good thing"
to keep a running list of items that I buy at certain retailers.
For example, I have on my computer a list of things that
I would normally purchase at, oh, let's say Costco.
I have pricing per unit (ie ounce, etc.) this way I can
compare prices or sale prices to other stores.
Before I go to Costco, I print out my list,
check it over for what I need to replenish and then
I stick to that list, that is if DH doesn't come with
This past Sunday I was at Costco with my list
and a gentleman saw this and made comment,
"That's a great idea!"
Old 10-16-2017, 10:05 PM   #45
Master Chef

This isn't food or cooking related, but once upon a time there were a few posts about the Pacific temperate rain forest (AKA "jungle"). I just found out that the U.S. has another one - and we've visited it!

We spent a week near Asheville, NC in 2012 and did a lot of looking around the area. Little did we know we were wandering through a rainforest! Apparently, there is one along the Blue Ridge Mountains path, down in southwest North Carolina. I didn't know it was a "jungle" out there, but I do remember it as being pretty and smelling nice.

Old 10-16-2017, 11:10 PM   #46
Chef Extraordinaire

There is also another rain forest in Washington State. It is on the far western side of the state and runs west right out to the rocky coast of the Pacific Ocean. It is eerie and if you are inclined to write a murder mystery, just go there and spend one day. Moss hanging from trees, strange sounds coming from who knows where, thick forestry that is almost impossible to penetrate. It also has mountains, plenty of rain, continuous rain, rain every single day, low clouds that come down from the mountains that bring the rain. It is called the Olympic National Rain Forest.

I went once with some friends of mine to see it. The forest ranger stopped us and wanted to know how long we were going to be visiting and exactly where we were going. He warned us not to stop and talk to any of the folks who live there. He gave us a few other warnings and addition information with some brochures. We spent the grand sum of one hour, turned the car around and headed out. We did get to see plenty of wild life running about. I have never had the urge to ever return. Oh, the army brings their soldiers from Fort Lewis there for jungle training.
Old 10-17-2017, 02:00 AM   #47
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
There is also another rain forest in Washington State...
Psst, I know. It's mentioned in my first sentence: "the Pacific temperate rain forest"

It probably was you that mentioned it a couple of years ago. I knew there was a desert in Maine (talk about something appearing to be out of place), but until I saw a mention in a recent issue of "Southern Living" I wasn't aware of the second rainforest in North Carolina.

Old 10-17-2017, 02:31 AM   #48
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Psst, I know. It's mentioned in my first sentence: "the Pacific temperate rain forest"

It probably was you that mentioned it a couple of years ago. I knew there was a desert in Maine (talk about something appearing to be out of place), but until I saw a mention in a recent issue of "Southern Living" I wasn't aware of the second rainforest in North Carolina.
I wasn't sure what you were referring to. I only know it by the Olympic Peninsula (sp?) National Rain Forest. I would open my drapes in the morning and see Mt. Rainier and go to my back door to get my broom and there were the Olympic Mountains. Both covered in snow year round.
Old 11-07-2017, 07:04 PM   #49
Executive Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
I forget if I mentioned this before, so please forgive me in advance ...

When using "solid shortening" aka Crisco or Lard

(and yes I do use Lard from time to time, it's readily
available here in the middle of the desert )

to fry, either shallow or deep. Once it cools,
it's so much easier to deal with.
I reuse frying oil maybe 3-4 times, depending.
When it's cool enough to handle, I strain out any
stray bits through cheesecloth and stash the oil, now
solid again, in the `fridge for the next round of
frying.

Tags
advice, learning, lessons, tips, tricks