"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-08-2015, 09:56 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
Just goes to show....to each their own, ardchoille. I would have chopped up those same lovely ingredients and made a delightfully crunchy salad, instead of baby food. Just my opinion, though.
Well, everyone is entitled to their opinion:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
There are those who think I'm a crazy man for enjoying an occasional potted meat sandwich, with the potted meat mixed with Miracle Whip, and sweet pickle relish. There are those that think potted meat is the most gross thing on the planet. Know what I think about that? I don't really care. I like it and that's good enough.

I like chicken salad sandwiches, and truth be told, I do like baked, broiled, fried, grilled, or barbecue chicken better, with the bone on, but not in a sandwich. If my chicken is in a sandwich, I prefer it to be chicken salad, or spread. And yes, all of you are correct. Texture is important. I like the texture of chicken salad, and egg salad, and tuna mixed with Miracle whip and minced onion, with mustard and sweet pickle relish. These foods were what I was raised on, to an extent.

There is room for all of us to be happy for someone finding something they enjoy. So to you, ardchoille, I say kudos, and happy eating. (I've been known to eat potted meat straight out of the can, with a spoon, but don't tell anyone. Yeh, I eat canned sardines as well.rue omnivore. I'm a true omnivore.)

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Thank you very much :)

Old 08-08-2015, 10:24 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I think it is important to chew food. It mixes it with saliva and starts the digestive process. It also seems to be more satisfying when chewed sufficiently, helping to prevent overeating. It may signal the rest of the digestive tract to get ready to get to work.

Old 08-08-2015, 10:55 PM   #13
Master Chef

Well, ardchoille, if you're going just for nutrition and don't care about texture or flavor, it looks like this creation has that down pat. If YOU'RE satisfied, fine. So I guess your dinner invite to all of us for tomorrow is off, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
+1, Cheryl. I like the texture of food as well as the flavors. I don't think this is something I would enjoy.
I know it's something I would not enjoy, GG. I, too, like the different textures. I also like to taste the flavor of individual foods on their own. I'm not against a bowl of stew or soup or salad, but if I'm eating chicken I don't want the flavor to get muddied with every other ingredient. I would have gone Cheryl's salad route if I didn't have bread on hand.

I mentioned this culinary experiment to Himself. His comment was "that forum is "Discuss Cooking, not Disgust Cooking". Looks like I won't be blending his suppers until his teeth fall out. Or never.
Old 08-08-2015, 10:55 PM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I think it is important to chew food. It mixes it with saliva and starts the digestive process. It also seems to be more satisfying when chewed sufficiently, helping to prevent overeating. It may signal the rest of the digestive tract to get ready to get to work.
Taxy, what you say is true. And I chew the bites of a chicken salad sandwich. Granted, sometimes I eat such things with a spoon, without the bread. But it's a rare thing. I think I eat enough food that requires chewing, even substantial chewing, to eat something that doesn't require it, like maybe some good pudding, or ice cream, or chocolate that I let melt in my cheek before washing over my tongue. Some people chew their Tootsie Pops. I sucked on mine, right to the tootsie roll center.

I'm sure we all eat things that aren't meeting the food police requirements all of the time. Normally, my food is well made, nutritious, and has a texture that invites pleasure from chewing. But once in a while, I like something to just slide across my tongue, smooth and silky.

I'm not saying that everything should be made into baby food, but we need to lift each other up here on DC, and celebrate new things that people have discovered. Imagine if no one ever took liver, butter, or fat, and seasonings, and blended them together. We would not have liver pate. Experimenting is essential to good cooking. Sometimes it gives great results, sometimes we just learn what not to do.

Again, be happy for the op who has found something he enjoys through his experiments.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 11:27 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
TL, after I had my gastro surgery, I was told I would never get hunger pains. The surgeon severed all the nerves that would tell me when I was hungry. He severed the Vargus nerve. And he was right. I would go three or more days and not think of eating. And then I would (what I thought) would tell myself that I was hungry. But I couldn't be. What it was is that I missed the act of chewing. I missed having texture in my mouth. Once I had a meal that required me to chew all the food on the plate, I felt satisfied. I still have to remind myself to eat. But not because I am hungry, but because I want to feel the texture of the food and to chew.
Old 08-08-2015, 11:44 PM   #16
Senior Cook

Oh, I'll be the first to admit that my culinary habits aren't popular, but I'm the only one who is responsible for me and I'm happy with my diet. I've been through medical school, I know what I'm doing :)
Old 08-09-2015, 01:55 AM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardchoille View Post
Oh, I'll be the first to admit that my culinary habits aren't popular, but I'm the only one who is responsible for me and I'm happy with my diet. I've been through medical school, I know what I'm doing :)
With all due respect, ardchoille...it's not that your culinary habits aren't 'popular' or that you aren't responsible for your own diet....we all are. I wouldn't mind seeing cites from your medical school training that confirms that grinding up food is better than eating food in it's whole state....
Old 08-09-2015, 05:09 AM   #18
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
I wouldn't mind seeing cites from your medical school training that confirms that grinding up food is better than eating food in it's whole state....
I do not recall making any such statement. Perhaps you're seeing what you want to see instead of what is written?
Old 08-09-2015, 06:11 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Gross. We eat with our eyes and our sense of smell before the food hits our taste buds. I can't imagine the end result was visually appealing. I go for texture, taste, nutritional balance, and visual appeal when I cook. I am a protein junky--a couple of hb eggs satisfy my protein cravings. A spinach salad with chicken would've been my choice.
Old 08-09-2015, 07:46 AM   #20
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Gross. We eat with our eyes and our sense of smell before the food hits our taste buds. I can't imagine the end result was visually appealing. I go for texture, taste, nutritional balance, and visual appeal when I cook. I am a protein junky--a couple of hb eggs satisfy my protein cravings. A spinach salad with chicken would've been my choice.
You might think it is gross, but trolls consider it a delicacy.