"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-09-2015, 08:28 AM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardchoille View Post
Oh, I'll be the first to admit that my culinary habits aren't popular, but I'm the only one who is responsible for me and I'm happy with my diet. I've been through medical school, I know what I'm doing :)
As the saying goes, "Whatever turns your stomach."
__________________

__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 08:58 AM   #22
Head Chef
 
creative's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 1,614
Lightbulb

Well none of us knows what this would taste like, do we? Most of the objections are because it is rendered into a paste but Chief Longwind Of The North recognises that this can be tasty, as do I. The phrase "don't knock it until you've tried it" springs to mind.
__________________

__________________
"All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt" (Charles M. Shulz)
creative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 10:12 AM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12,284
Greasy, garlicky, sour with bitterness thrown in from the the green pepper all in a sticky weird colored paste. Not a flavor profile I would come up with.
__________________
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 12:19 PM   #24
Senior Cook
 
ardchoille's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
Well none of us knows what this would taste like, do we? Most of the objections are because it is rendered into a paste but Chief Longwind Of The North recognises that this can be tasty, as do I. The phrase "don't knock it until you've tried it" springs to mind.
Yes, it's a wonderful phrase. I have a couple friends who use that phrase quite a bit, but can never seem to take their own advice.
__________________
"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable but more useful than a life spent doing nothing." - George Bernard Shaw
ardchoille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 12:37 PM   #25
Head Chef
 
creative's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 1,614
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Greasy, garlicky, sour with bitterness thrown in from the the green pepper all in a sticky weird colored paste. Not a flavor profile I would come up with.
You had me at greasy!
__________________
"All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt" (Charles M. Shulz)
creative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 05:03 PM   #26
Master Chef
 
Chief Longwind Of The North's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA,Michigan
Posts: 9,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardchoille View Post
Yes, it's a wonderful phrase. I have a couple friends who use that phrase quite a bit, but can never seem to take their own advice.
What everyone here seems to be forgetting is that you don't have to process things to a paste in a blender, or food processor. Think salsa, or chicken salad, with little chunks of textural goodness. Thin of ham salad texture with crunchy bits of onion, pickle, and ham, all brought together with a creamy salad dressing.

I don't know how long ardchille processed the ingredients, do you? And in any case, he likes it. How can we judge him on that. I surely like things that others don't, and others like things that I don't. That doesn't mean that either is wrong. It just means that we are different.

DC has always been based on tolerance, on learning and growing from sharing our experiences in cooking, good and bad. Let us be the example of what is right with DC, not bring anyone down or unfairly judge another.

Ardchoille I still support you. Thanks, Creative, for your support as well.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
__________________
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 05:32 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,829
Chief, I'm not judging him. I'm saying that blending a bunch of ingredients is not appealing to me. I don't do smoothies or juice veggies. I've tried it and I prefer other preparations.

In addition, from other posts, ardchoille comes across as a bit, um, condescending. That puts me off.
__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 12:18 AM   #28
Senior Cook
 
ardchoille's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Chief, I'm not judging him. I'm saying that blending a bunch of ingredients is not appealing to me. I don't do smoothies or juice veggies. I've tried it and I prefer other preparations.

In addition, from other posts, ardchoille comes across as a bit, um, condescending. That puts me off.
I don't mean to come across as condescending, I'm told it's one of the hazards of earning multiple doctorate degrees.

To everyone who views my posts as condescending, it is purely unintentional and I apologize. This is something of constant work for me and I do try.
__________________
"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable but more useful than a life spent doing nothing." - George Bernard Shaw
ardchoille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 12:30 AM   #29
Senior Cook
 
ardchoille's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
What everyone here seems to be forgetting is that you don't have to process things to a paste in a blender, or food processor. Think salsa, or chicken salad, with little chunks of textural goodness. Thin of ham salad texture with crunchy bits of onion, pickle, and ham, all brought together with a creamy salad dressing.

I don't know how long ardchille processed the ingredients, do you? And in any case, he likes it. How can we judge him on that. I surely like things that others don't, and others like things that I don't. That doesn't mean that either is wrong. It just means that we are different.

DC has always been based on tolerance, on learning and growing from sharing our experiences in cooking, good and bad. Let us be the example of what is right with DC, not bring anyone down or unfairly judge another.

Ardchoille I still support you. Thanks, Creative, for your support as well.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
You make a very good point about texture. I have a Magic Bullet blender and I gave my chicken spread a few pulses. This yielded a texture similar to chunky salsa rather than a smooth paste.

And, thank you for your support :)
__________________
"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable but more useful than a life spent doing nothing." - George Bernard Shaw
ardchoille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 08:16 AM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardchoille View Post
I don't mean to come across as condescending, I'm told it's one of the hazards of earning multiple doctorate degrees.

To everyone who views my posts as condescending, it is purely unintentional and I apologize. This is something of constant work for me and I do try.
Calling me brain-washed was pretty intentional.
__________________

__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.