"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-10-2015, 09:01 AM   #31
Head Chef

Thumbs up

Er...back on topic!!

Experimenting, like improvising, can yield some good results! I suppose the trick is remembering what you did (if it included many techniques/ingredients).

I guess most of us would improvise on making a stew/casserole, i.e. not follow a recipe. Baked things like cakes etc are less adaptable to being messed about with though I find. Bread pudding is fairly easy to improvise on though.

Old 08-10-2015, 09:20 AM   #32
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
Er...back on topic!!

Experimenting, like improvising, can yield some good results! I suppose the trick is remembering what you did (if it included many techniques/ingredients).

I guess most of us would improvise on making a stew/casserole, i.e. not follow a recipe. Baked things like cakes etc are less adaptable to being messed about with though I find. Bread pudding is fairly easy to improvise on though.

I learned a lesson from an experimental recipe that I did record, as to me and P.A.G. and her hubby, it was wonderful. I called the recipe - Smoldering Chicken. What I learned yet again is that just because I love a particular recipe, not everyone's tastes are the same.

I made the Smoldering Chicken Recipe for the people I'm staying with last night, sticking to the recipe exactly. I thought it was wonderful. It wasn't as well received by my host, a bit too spicy. But, he loved the concept and stated that he would be making it for himself and his sweet wife (She's visiting grandkids right now). But when he makes it, he will make the chicken marinade from milder hot sauces than I used. So, he will experiment a little with a known recipe, and tailor it to their liking. To me, that's a wonderful thing, and is something I do all the time.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 09:44 AM   #33
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Calling me brain-washed was pretty intentional.
GG, his choice of words can be condescending at times. And I too bristle when someone is insulting me. I know though, that I have been guilty of such things, especially when i feel attacked. He is passionate about his experiment and offered it in the hopes that others could gain from his experience. If you look back from page one of this thread, you will see nothing but negativity.

Yes, his response was wrong, but he is trying to apologize. That opens the door for us to forgive, and then learn the value of each other.

You are a great friend, and a great person. Let that part of you shine through.

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Old 08-10-2015, 09:48 AM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
GG, his choice of words can be condescending at times. And I too bristle when someone is insulting me. I know though, that I have been guilty of such things, especially when i feel attacked. He is passionate about his experiment and offered it in the hopes that others could gain from his experience. If you look back from page one of this thread, you will see nothing but negativity.

Yes, his response was wrong, but he is trying to apologize. That opens the door for us to forgive, and then learn the value of each other.

You are a great friend, and a great person. Let that part of you shine through.

It's hard to resist such a lovely appeal to one's better nature Thank you, Chief.
Old 08-10-2015, 10:34 AM   #35
Senior Cook

Quote:
Calling me brain-washed was pretty intentional.
If you're not mature enough to accept an apology that is not my concern. I'll just have to place you on my ignore list with the others and move on. Life is too short.
Old 08-10-2015, 10:37 AM   #36
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
I suppose the trick is remembering what you did (if it included many techniques/ingredients).

Yes, that is a trick that is often easier said than done.
Old 08-10-2015, 10:58 AM   #37
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
If you look back from page one of this thread, you will see nothing but negativity.
I hold membership in around 50 different forums and DC is the only place I have a problem with this. If the problem were with me I would have this issue everywhere, but that simply isn't the case. I'm guessing that the root cause of this problem is that I'm different, and some folks csnmot handle those who are different. But, I digress.
Old 08-10-2015, 11:20 AM   #38
Head Chef

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardchoille View Post
I hold membership in around 50 different forums and DC is the only place I have a problem with this. If the problem were with me I would have this issue everywhere, but that simply isn't the case. I'm guessing that the root cause of this problem is that I'm different, and some folks csnmot handle those who are different. But, I digress.
Yes my experience is similar, i.e. that I am on several other forums (not 50!) and only here is there a discernible problem with certain members. I accept my views may differ from the norm but, I was told, it may also be due to hailing from the UK. Oh well...

(I am actually very popular elsewhere so it is a puzzle).
Old 08-10-2015, 11:21 AM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
If you're not mature enough to accept an apology that is not my concern. I'll just have to place you on my ignore list with the others and move on. Life is too short.
I'm going to assume that you hadn't read the following when you wrote that.
Quote:
It's hard to resist such a lovely appeal to one's better nature Thank you, Chief.
Old 08-10-2015, 11:24 AM   #40
Master Chef

Quote:
And now the tables have turned. Now it's Got Garlic who is trying to change her attitude and accept the apology.

Let's not take personal jabs at each other. Give each other a chance. you might find that GG can be a really great friend, if you give her a chance. And yes, as you admitted, you can be a bit over the top. Dial it back just a little.

I've learned some great perspective as my DW nearly died. Moments of life, and friends are to be treasured. And the support you can get from those you have given to can sustain you through ridiculously hard times. Don't ever cross out a potential friend. We all need each other, either to give of ourselves, or to receive when we need help.

Ardchoille, you started this thread in the hopes that you share something of value with others. Share your own acceptance of others, in spite of the challenges that have taken place. You will grow from it, and everyone will grow from it. This is an important lesson I have learned from holding grudges for too long, or from being insensitive to others, or from being too prideful. Making the changes make your life richer, and more enjoyable, and also helps make the lives of those you love and care for better as well. It's taken me almost 60 years to learn the lessons, and become who I am, and I still have a long ways to go. Don't re-invent the wheel. Rather, look at the wheel I've constructed, and learn from it.