"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 10-06-2006, 02:19 PM   #1
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Wink Yeast Questions

I have a recipe (bread) calling for 2 Tbls. active dry yeast -- all I have is two pks, (2 1/4 pk) will this be enough- or should I wait till I get more ? Thanks for any help !!

Old 10-06-2006, 02:44 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

You have 4.5 tsp and you need six. That's a significant shortfall (25%). You might want to wait.

Old 10-06-2006, 02:52 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
that`s almost impossible to determine without knowing how many grams is in a pack, but for an idea, a Tblsp will hold roughly 15ml, so you`ll need 30.
I`m uncertain as to the Molar weight of yeast, but being naturaly more dense than water of 18g/mol my estimate would be that 38g of the dried product (in prill form) will suffice.
if your 2 and bit packs don`t add up to that weight, then hold till you get some more :)

rem: this is only a Rough Calc!

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 03:00 PM   #4
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
You have 4.5 tsp and you need six. That's a significant shortfall (25%). You might want to wait.
You mean I need six pkgs? Guess i do need to wait -- lol Thanks Andy !! Or 1 more?
Old 10-06-2006, 03:05 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
A standard package of dry yeast contains 2 1/4 teaspoons. I used to buy the packaged stuff in the grocery store but, since I bake all the bread products we eat, I started buying 1-pound packages of SAF yeast from the Baker's Catalogue at King Arthur Flour. I store it in a tightly sealed glass jar in my freezer. One package lasts me about 6 to 8 months. This way I always have the right quantity and never run out. It's better yeast and less expensive.
Old 10-06-2006, 03:13 PM   #6
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb L
You mean I need six pkgs? Guess i do need to wait -- lol Thanks Andy !! Or 1 more?
You need one more pkg of yeast. Then you would be a little over your 2 tbsps.

Katie, what is SAF yeast please? And I don't think I've run across many of your bread recipes. Would you consider posting a couple of your favorites?
Old 10-06-2006, 03:25 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
Katie, what is SAF yeast please? And I don't think I've run across many of your bread recipes. Would you consider posting a couple of your favorites?
SAF is a very good quality fresh yeast I used to buy from a local bakery. They quit selling it to the public and I finally found it at King Arthur. It's always fresh and I love it. I get a whole pound for $5.50, plus shipping. You can see it at bakerscatalogue.com or call them at 800-827-6836. In addition to yeast, they have all sorts of other baking ingredients and all manner of baking toys and tools. They're located in Vermont so, those of you DCers who live in the New England states, could even make a trip to their store.

As for my bread recipes, I developed a cranberry-walnut bread last fall that I'll post in the bread section soon.
Old 10-06-2006, 03:29 PM   #8
Master Chef

Wink

Thanks for all your help ! New to this bread making thing, never cared much for baking until now that Iam retired -- go figure -- lol
Old 10-06-2006, 04:17 PM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

Sorry I wasn't clearer, Barb.

Each packet contains 2.25 teaspoons of yeast, so you have a total of 4.5 teaspoons of yeast with the two packets you have. You need six teaspoons (equal to two tablespoons) so you need one more packet of yeast. Then you'll have what you need for the recipe and a little extra.