Yeast Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barb L.

Master Chef
I have a recipe (bread) calling for 2 Tbls. active dry yeast -- all I have is two pks, (2 1/4 pk) will this be enough- or should I wait till I get more ? Thanks for any help !!

You have 4.5 tsp and you need six. That's a significant shortfall (25%). You might want to wait.

that`s almost impossible to determine without knowing how many grams is in a pack, but for an idea, a Tblsp will hold roughly 15ml, so you`ll need 30.
I`m uncertain as to the Molar weight of yeast, but being naturaly more dense than water of 18g/mol my estimate would be that 38g of the dried product (in prill form) will suffice.
if your 2 and bit packs don`t add up to that weight, then hold till you get some more :)

rem: this is only a Rough Calc!

Andy M. said:
You have 4.5 tsp and you need six. That's a significant shortfall (25%). You might want to wait.
You mean I need six pkgs? Guess i do need to wait -- lol Thanks Andy !! :-p Or 1 more?

A standard package of dry yeast contains 2 1/4 teaspoons. I used to buy the packaged stuff in the grocery store but, since I bake all the bread products we eat, I started buying 1-pound packages of SAF yeast from the Baker's Catalogue at King Arthur Flour. I store it in a tightly sealed glass jar in my freezer. One package lasts me about 6 to 8 months. This way I always have the right quantity and never run out. It's better yeast and less expensive.

Barb L said:
You mean I need six pkgs? Guess i do need to wait -- lol Thanks Andy !! :-p Or 1 more?

You need one more pkg of yeast. Then you would be a little over your 2 tbsps.

Katie, what is SAF yeast please? And I don't think I've run across many of your bread recipes. Would you consider posting a couple of your favorites?

Alix said:
Katie, what is SAF yeast please? And I don't think I've run across many of your bread recipes. Would you consider posting a couple of your favorites?

SAF is a very good quality fresh yeast I used to buy from a local bakery. They quit selling it to the public and I finally found it at King Arthur. It's always fresh and I love it. I get a whole pound for $5.50, plus shipping. You can see it at bakerscatalogue.com or call them at 800-827-6836. In addition to yeast, they have all sorts of other baking ingredients and all manner of baking toys and tools. They're located in Vermont so, those of you DCers who live in the New England states, could even make a trip to their store.

As for my bread recipes, I developed a cranberry-walnut bread last fall that I'll post in the bread section soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all your help ! New to this bread making thing, never cared much for baking until now that Iam retired -- go figure -- lol :whistling

Sorry I wasn't clearer, Barb.

Each packet contains 2.25 teaspoons of yeast, so you have a total of 4.5 teaspoons of yeast with the two packets you have. You need six teaspoons (equal to two tablespoons) so you need one more packet of yeast. Then you'll have what you need for the recipe and a little extra.

Back
Top Bottom