Yellow Sponge Cake Texture....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mech3d

Assistant Cook
I made a yellow sponge cake from scratch (using the Cakeboss recipe) over the weekend. The cake turned out to be very good. The only thing I wanted (or was hoping for) is the have the texture a little bit softer so when some one takes a bite, the creme filling doesn't squeeze out.

57908-albums1022-picture6196.jpeg

Do you have any recommendations to make a soft sponge cake?

Thanks,
Joe C.

Last edited:
Sorry, no recommendations. But those sure do look tasty!

I'm sure there's someone around here with some baking know-how that can help you.

Looks like homemade twinkie cakes!!!

I just looked at the recipe online.

If I were doing it and wanted a more tender result, I would only use the mixer for the eggs/sugar portion. Then I would sift in the flour mixture & stir in the liquid by hand. Traditional method is 1/3 flour, then 1/2 liquid, 1/3 flour, remaining liquid, remaining flour. Fold or stir gently after each addition.

I find that even on very low speed, the mixer works the batter too much for some applications. Less working of the batter = softer results.

If you are really going for a twinkie-like cake, I think I'd try David Leite's recipe, rather than the cakeboss.
http://leitesculinaria.com/71100/recipes-homemade-twinkies.html

Last edited:
Have you considered trying those using an Obsttorte base?

1 c flour
1/4 c sugar
1/2 c milk
1/4 c oil
2 egg yolks
vanilla
1 tsp baking powder
2 egg whites, beaten stiffly with 1/2 2 sugar

Directions:

1. Mix by hand all ingredients except egg whites.
2. Gently fold egg whites in.
3. Bake in a greased and cornmealed (or you can sprinkle the bottom with bread crumbs) torte pan at 375 for 15-20 minutes.
4. Remove from pan when slightly cooled.
5. Assemble torte when completely cooled.

Sorry if the instructions are a bit vague--this was the recipe from the Oma of my host family in Germany. I would think you could adapt it for your "Twinkies."

Wow, what a lot of great suggestions, I knew I came to the right place.:)

Last edited:
I am going to try either one of these 2 recipes (or maybe both) and see how it turns out.

I have another question, what if I wanted a chocolate version, I read somewhere to reduce the flour amount by the amount of chocolate powder added. Do you think this would work or other modification need to be incorporated if adding chocolate, like more sugar to offset the bitterness?

BTW, did you know that it takes 39 ingredients to make a Hostess Twinkie.

Have you considered trying those using an Obsttorte base?

1 c flour
1/4 c sugar
1/2 c milk
1/4 c oil
2 egg yolks
vanilla
1 tsp baking powder
2 egg whites, beaten stiffly with 1/2 2 sugar

Directions:

1. Mix by hand all ingredients except egg whites.
2. Gently fold egg whites in.
3. Bake in a greased and cornmealed (or you can sprinkle the bottom with bread crumbs) torte pan at 375 for 15-20 minutes.
4. Remove from pan when slightly cooled.
5. Assemble torte when completely cooled.

Sorry if the instructions are a bit vague--this was the recipe from the Oma of my host family in Germany. I would think you could adapt it for your "Twinkies."
I haven't made this for years, but have sour cherries and am going to make this tomorrow in "little" tart size. The boys are coming on Sunday.

Yes on reducing the flour to account for the cocoa, but I wouldn't change the sugar. The thing you have to watch for however, is the acidity of your cocoa. Depending on what you use, you may have to add a bit of baking soda to balance the pH for it to rise properly.

That's why they say baking is a science.

Back
Top Bottom