"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-17-2010, 07:12 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Yogurt mess-up!

Hi there!

First, I would like to greet you all, as this is my first post in the forums. This seems to be a really nice community, so, you should be proud!

Yesterday I decided to make some yogurt with my Moulinex yogurt maker. Following the instructions, I warmed up the milk, mixed in some natural yogurt and dried milk, and filled-up the maker cups.

Problem: I FORGOT TO PLUG IT IN TO THE MAINS! So, when I got there this morning (after 10 hours), it was exactly the same: liquid.

I plugged it in and decided to see how it looks this evening. My question is: is it safe? Do you think the final yogurt will be suitable for consumption?

Thank you very much, regards,

AP

Old 08-17-2010, 08:07 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Did you start with pasteurized milk? If you did, I would use the resulting product in cooking only, like pancakes or corn bread. But if you started with un-pasteurized milk, I would throw it away.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:33 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring View Post
Did you start with pasteurized milk? If you did, I would use the resulting product in cooking only, like pancakes or corn bread. But if you started with un-pasteurized milk, I would throw it away.
Hi bethzaring!

Yes, I started with pasteurized fat organic milk. Well, I'll bin it anyway and start from scratch tonight. Thank you!

AP
Old 08-17-2010, 08:52 AM   #4
Senior Cook

If it helps.. at home we use UHT milk, instead of whole fresh milk. UHT we find makes a far more creamy yoghurt.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:03 AM   #5
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linux View Post
If it helps.. at home we use UHT milk, instead of whole fresh milk. UHT we find makes a far more creamy yoghurt.
Thank you, I'll follow your hint! Cheers!

AP
Old 08-17-2010, 09:09 AM   #6
Senior Cook

You're welcome.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:22 AM   #7
Master Chef

I would not thorow away either one. How did people make yougurts before all the fancy equipments? They qwould simply leave milk to go sour so do speak, some times for days.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:38 AM   #8
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
I would not thorow away either one. How did people make yougurts before all the fancy equipments? They qwould simply leave milk to go sour so do speak, some times for days.

I respect your opinion, only not every house gal has the time to make yoghurt by traditional and time-consuming methods such as here:

How to Make Yogurt - Homemade Yogurt Recipe

.. though admirable, I should say.

And this is why we women, we busy women especially if you're a working Mum like me, get to appreciate a yoghurt maker.

Before bedtime, I fill my ten-quid yoggy machine with UHT and a 'starter', two tablespoons of plain live yoghurt. And when I wake up in the morning, t'is done, and all I'll add is some homemade muesli, or what you guys call rather fancily, "Granola".

Making yoghurt with even a budget-priced maker such as mine has never been easier.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:20 PM   #9
Head Chef

I am with Charlie and I don't agree that making yogurt is a time consuming task at all. I am a bit off track because you asked about how to make it with equipment and I am giving you another method to make it. Try it if you'd like.

I have been making yogurt for years without any fancy equipment and yes I cheat by buying a small 99 cent yogurt container. Also I work full time, have to do normal mom stuff so time is of essence to me as well.

Buy a plain yogurt container for 99 cents. Bring some milk to a boil (4-5 cups). I like whole milk. Once it's at a rolling boil, shut the stove and let the milk get to room temperature. Also keep the yogurt at room temperature.

You can do your chores while that's taking place. Stir the milk and yogurt together in a clean glass bowl or flask. Mix and keep it in the oven (oven is not on, just a warm place), overnight. Yes it takes time but how many things you had to do. Not much.

In the morning, put it in the fridge and in a few hours yogurt should set and you can enjoy it for days.

I use it to make lassi and a lot of other dishes because being Indian I use yogurt in a ton of stuff and it's cheaper than buying huge containers from stores.

All the best.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:30 PM   #10
Sous Chef

I make yogurt at least once a week, and until recently had never heard of a yogurt maker (at first I thought it was a joke). In fact, I have some cooling on the stove right now.

To the OP's question, I'm not sure what the machine does, so I can't be of much help.