You say potato, I say?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tpuhl17

Assistant Cook
Whenever I buy a bag of Youkon Gold I never use all of them before the last ones start to grow those "root" looking things. Does that mean I shouldn't use them? I hate to throw them out. Why not just cut them off, right? And while were at it. When is the "e" used in the spelling of potato?

Yes you can just cut that part off and use the rest of the potato.

The only time there is an e at the end is when it is plural as in potatoes.

I know that once they start to sprout, the composition of the potato changes, since now it's actively feeding little tiny growing plants. If the potatoes turn green, make sure you peel off all the green and even a little past it. That signals the presence of solanine, which can make you sick. It's present in high concentration in the leaves and stems of potatoes, which is why we don't see potato greens listed on menus anywhere lol

^^ That's interesting and I've never heard not to eat the green. I've eaten many, many, MANY potatoes that were green with never an ill effect. Russets mostly. Even the smallest bags of potatoes are too big for the two of us and I won't waste food when I can help it.

jfield is absolutely right about the green. Solanine is poison. It should not be eaten. If there is green on your potato then cut it out and you will be fine eating the rest of the potato.

jfield is absolutely right about the green. Solanine is poison. It should not be eaten. If there is green on your potato then cut it out and you will be fine eating the rest of the potato.
I wasn't saying he was right or wrong, just commenting that I hadn't heard it. According to snopes.com there really isn't enough to hurt you unless you eat 4-5 pounds at one sitting.

I never said you were saying he was right or wrong. I was just chiming in with my input in general. it was not directed specifically at you.

I cut the green away plus some. If they are REALLY green they get tossed!

tpuhl17, you just need to use your potatoes up quicker. Make some potato wedges - slice like fat steak fries, bake on a cookie sheet in the oven (olive oil, kosher salt). They will brown on the bottom then just turn them. When they are done drizzle them with melted butter/rosemary/garlic.

Potato Soup comes to mind. I also like to nuke them and use them in an omelet with a combination of lots of things. I call those omelets "The Farm" :LOL:

Love Yukon Gold. The only thing that is better are red potatoes right when they are dug, and you can remove the peel with a brush. I never peel Yukon Golds. They are super sweet, and the skin is very thin. They are great raw with just some Paula Deen House Seasoning.

Love Yukon Gold. The only thing that is better are red potatoes right when they are dug, and you can remove the peel with a brush. I never peel Yukon Golds. They are super sweet, and the skin is very thin. They are great raw with just some Paula Deen House Seasoning.

I love Yukon Golds too - they make the BEST potato salad and my favorite part is just as you say...thin skins so no peeling! Have you ever cooked your potatoes in chicken broth then used them in potato salad? YUM! The broth can still be used for a soup within a few days.

Never boiled them in chicken stock, but I have used the leftover potatoes from a crab boil to make potatoe salad, and that was slammin.

I never said you were saying he was right or wrong. I was just chiming in with my input in general. it was not directed specifically at you.
NP. Now I'm all paranoid though and it means my corned beef isn't going to have potatoes with it because I don't like pealed potatoes in my corned beef. I'll just send DD to the store for baby reds when she gets home from school. LOL

Don't be paranoid. You can still continue to use potatoes with the peel on them. The peel will be green as well if you look close. Just avoid those and you will be fine.

Don't be paranoid. You can still continue to use potatoes with the peel on them. The peel will be green as well if you look close. Just avoid those and you will be fine.
No, the whole bag has a greenish tinge. I'll just go buy some fresher ones, maybe fingerlings. You know, you just have to have potatoes with corned beef (if you don't eat cabbage). Reds and fingerlings take less time to cook then russets do, so I should be good if I get them in the pot by 3:00.

Back
Top Bottom