Your assistance and expertise is appreciated!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Kaopectate or Imodium.

I tend to avoid those if at all possible because clearly there is something your body wants to get rid of, better to flush it out.

Edit: Please excuse the pun. I couldn't think of a better phrase!

Last edited:
I am sorry you and your wife are not feeling well. This went through my house for two weeks last month. I'm with BRAT diet, plain pasta, pretzels, gatorade too - and someone told me that coke was good for upset stomachs - even better than gingerale and 7 up. I found a coke slurpy was good for me. I hope you two feel better soon - especially by Sunday night:)

Thank you all. Decided to run with your suggestions. I purchased some real ginger ale and just finished the first 12 ounce bottle. Man that stuff is toxic!

Due to circumstances beyond my control, I was unable to get home for lunch. So, I broke for the grocer. Got some Canada Dry for DW (she don't like anything else) and some saltines for me to dine on. Also got a Gatorpee, I mean, Gatorade bottle and have downed about 16 ounces. It's all perked me up a bit, but the BD tummy still ain't all that happy. Got some beef broth for tonight, to have with rice (rice in the broth). Forgot more Jello for DW, so I gotta get that on the way home.

I'd never heard of the BRAT "diet." Also, makes sense on the sugar. No medicinal reasons for low sugar, other then rotting teeth (which isn't happening yet either).

Feeling a bit loopy too. Ditto for dw. She's had a rough day, similar to my Monday.

:) If it;s a stomach flu once I start feeling better I like to drink Kefir {a yogurt drink } its loaded with the good acidophilus bacteria that you have lost from being sick.It is the best tasting stuff and goes down well at least for me.It come in all kinds of flavors like strawberry,blueberry and so on my favorite is peach.Really good stuff.

They now make an anti-nausea liquid (there are several generic brands) that really helps with the top end, and as was mentioned, Kaopectate or Immodium helps with the other.
When the nausea is worst, drinking any liquids makes it worse, so popsickles, slurpies, or even just a cup of crushed ice are best. Once you can get liquids to stay down, Gator Aid or a similar sports drink is helpful.
When you are that sick, your stomach doesn't really need to handle food, so don't force yourself to eat. I remember telling the doctor over the phone once, that I couldn't keep anything down, and he said, "So don't eat!"
I was interested in everyone's suggestions...there were some good ideas. Soda crackers are the first thing I recommend, because you can slowly nibble one at a time, and see how it goes down.
I don't think anyone mentioned Jello, though. Once the worst of the nausea is over, it's a good source of protein. Old fashioned Cambell's Chicken Noodle, which is pretty salty, and a grilled cheese sandwich (made in a non-stick skillet without butter) always tasted good to my kids once they could hold some food down. Velveeta or American cheese is best because it's bland and easy to digest. Now that we having cooking sprays available, I often make grilled cheese without butter or margarine anyway.

And sympathy, sympathy to you and Mrs. BigDog...it's so awful when your body revolts on you.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom