Your Best Homemade Pizza Tips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've recently started making my own pizza (easily beats the grease-loaded pizza that is delivery). I use half white wheat flour and half regular flour, since it makes me feel like I'm eating a little healthier.

A big difference I noticed for me was when I started making my sauces with organic tomatoes, which tasted so much better! I add some red pepper flakes and crushed garlic, salt and pepper to the sauce and it tastes so good! I also use feta as my cheese on top, since I love feta.

Few pizzas in Italy have "sauce" on them. Tomatoes, yes, but not "sauce." Especially as we get into fresh tomato season, some of you might like to try that alternative. We find the flavor fresher, and the whole thing, whatever else we put on the pizza, "lighter," somehow. :)

I'd be interested in a tried and true quick dough that I can throw together on a weeknight without the fuss of rising and stretching. Anybody? I have one calling for semolina, but my inferior grocery didn't have that last available. Grrrr.

I'd be interested in a tried and true quick dough that I can throw together on a weeknight without the fuss of rising and stretching. Anybody? I have one calling for semolina, but my inferior grocery didn't have that last available. Grrrr.
I've used the Artisan bread recipe for pizza dough. When I make the batch for bread dough, it makes 4 loaves of bread, I take one grapefruit sized piece of dough and use that , and refrigerate the rest of the dough for either bread or pizza.

I've used the Artisan bread recipe for pizza dough. When I make the batch for bread dough, it makes 4 loaves of bread, I take one grapefruit sized piece of dough and use that , and refrigerate the rest of the dough for either bread or pizza.

I've also used this recipe which has only a 15 min. rise time :
one package yeast, one cup water, one tablespoon of oil and 2 1/2 cup All purpose flour.
preheat oven 400-450 degrees. If you have a baking stone use that for the pizza.

In a bowl, mix one package of yeast in warm water, until dissolved. Then add oil and flour until it forms a ball of dough. Cover the bowl with a towel, place in warm spot for 15 min, until it rises. After it rises, spread the dough on a pizza pan, or whatever you use for pizza, add toppings, bake for about 15 min or more , until cheese melts if using cheese. You may have to use less baking time if using the stone.

Thanks LadyCook, you are a great resource today! I will look into these and post more tonight after work. I appreciate all the responses!

Best pizza tip, ever. Place ALL the toppings on the pizza BEFORE you put the cheese on. That way, you're not chasing your topping(s) off the table, onto the floor, out the door, across the garden, and under a bush every time you take a bite!

Back
Top Bottom