"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-16-2008, 05:56 PM   #41
Assistant Cook

I've recently started making my own pizza (easily beats the grease-loaded pizza that is delivery). I use half white wheat flour and half regular flour, since it makes me feel like I'm eating a little healthier.

A big difference I noticed for me was when I started making my sauces with organic tomatoes, which tasted so much better! I add some red pepper flakes and crushed garlic, salt and pepper to the sauce and it tastes so good! I also use feta as my cheese on top, since I love feta.

Old 03-17-2008, 10:11 AM   #42
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Few pizzas in Italy have "sauce" on them. Tomatoes, yes, but not "sauce." Especially as we get into fresh tomato season, some of you might like to try that alternative. We find the flavor fresher, and the whole thing, whatever else we put on the pizza, "lighter," somehow.

Old 03-17-2008, 10:21 AM   #43
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to AMSeccia
I'd be interested in a tried and true quick dough that I can throw together on a weeknight without the fuss of rising and stretching. Anybody? I have one calling for semolina, but my inferior grocery didn't have that last available. Grrrr.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:32 AM   #44
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSeccia View Post
I'd be interested in a tried and true quick dough that I can throw together on a weeknight without the fuss of rising and stretching. Anybody? I have one calling for semolina, but my inferior grocery didn't have that last available. Grrrr.
I've used the Artisan bread recipe for pizza dough. When I make the batch for bread dough, it makes 4 loaves of bread, I take one grapefruit sized piece of dough and use that , and refrigerate the rest of the dough for either bread or pizza.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:41 AM   #45
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCook61 View Post
I've used the Artisan bread recipe for pizza dough. When I make the batch for bread dough, it makes 4 loaves of bread, I take one grapefruit sized piece of dough and use that , and refrigerate the rest of the dough for either bread or pizza.
I've also used this recipe which has only a 15 min. rise time :
one package yeast, one cup water, one tablespoon of oil and 2 1/2 cup All purpose flour.
preheat oven 400-450 degrees. If you have a baking stone use that for the pizza.

In a bowl, mix one package of yeast in warm water, until dissolved. Then add oil and flour until it forms a ball of dough. Cover the bowl with a towel, place in warm spot for 15 min, until it rises. After it rises, spread the dough on a pizza pan, or whatever you use for pizza, add toppings, bake for about 15 min or more , until cheese melts if using cheese. You may have to use less baking time if using the stone.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:43 AM   #46
Master Chef

Quote:
no rise pizza dough
No Rise Pizza Dough Recipe
Old 03-17-2008, 10:45 AM   #47
Master Chef

Quote:
Here's one that doesn't require yeast

Easy Pizza Crusts.com-nypc
Old 03-17-2008, 11:41 AM   #48
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to AMSeccia
Thanks LadyCook, you are a great resource today! I will look into these and post more tonight after work. I appreciate all the responses!
Old 03-17-2008, 03:27 PM   #49
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Best pizza tip, ever. Place ALL the toppings on the pizza BEFORE you put the cheese on. That way, you're not chasing your topping(s) off the table, onto the floor, out the door, across the garden, and under a bush every time you take a bite!
Old 03-17-2008, 07:08 PM   #50
Master Chef

Oh, Caine, that's how you work off the calories!! :)