"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-22-2015, 04:48 PM   #41
Master Chef

I buy spices and blend for my all purpose seasoning mix. I use it on just about everything. Only one I use solo is salt for cooking pasta, potatoes and soups.

My mixed spice seasoning blend -

Garlic powder, Onion powder, Goya Adobo Seasoning (with pepper or lemon), Accent (MSG), Sea Salt, Ground peppercorns (4 or 5 variety blend), Cayenne, Hungarian Sweet Paprika, Hungarian Hot Paprika, ground red pepper flakes

For poultry or pork - Add poultry seasoning.
For fish - Add (Old Bay) Lemon and pepper blend
For BBQ - Add Trader Joe smoked paprika or Trader Joe's South African Smoke Seasoning Blend

Old 02-23-2015, 02:39 AM   #42
Master Chef

I go through a lot of paprika, pepper, basil, cinnamon, and Colman's powdered mustard, usually in combination with some other spice that is needed for that particular dish. I've also been on a run of using my Penzeys dehydrated chives - love them! I do mix a lot of my own blends such as for tacos, chili, and Baltimore pit beef. Even if the beef doesn't go on the grill, we still like the blend on our our roast. There is one store-bought blend I can't figure out how to duplicate it - Spice Merchants Thai Coconut Rub. Love that stuff on grilled shrimp, but boy is it pricey compared to anything that Penzeys sells. Since we don't grill shrimp often, I can get a lot of mileage out of an ounce. Running out, and my go-to store in Fort Myers is no longer there.

Old 02-23-2015, 03:37 AM   #43
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
I go through a lot of paprika, pepper, basil, cinnamon, and Colman's powdered mustard, usually in combination with some other spice that is needed for that particular dish. I've also been on a run of using my Penzeys dehydrated chives - love them! I do mix a lot of my own blends such as for tacos, chili, and Baltimore pit beef. Even if the beef doesn't go on the grill, we still like the blend on our our roast. There is one store-bought blend I can't figure out how to duplicate it - Spice Merchants Thai Coconut Rub. Love that stuff on grilled shrimp, but boy is it pricey compared to anything that Penzeys sells. Since we don't grill shrimp often, I can get a lot of mileage out of an ounce. Running out, and my go-to store in Fort Myers is no longer there.
Check this out!

Not as much fun as a spice run to Fort Myers!

https://secure.spicemerchants.biz/sm...ai_Coconut_Rub
Old 02-23-2015, 08:12 AM   #44
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
There is a store in Mashpee, MA.
Old 02-23-2015, 02:32 PM   #45
Master Chef

Aunt B, I don't think I'll be ordering online. The shipping would cost more than the one seasoning!

PF, Mashpee is over 100 miles away, one-way. That's a long way to go for 2 ounces of seasoning!

I did check the website before I posted my first comment, but didn't notice that they had a new store. It turns out that Spice Merchants just opened a shop in Ann Maria Island, FL. That will be on our way to our timeshare week this fall. I'm guessing I have enough left to get me through a couple of shrimp grills, so I can wait. And then buy plenty when I get there!
Old 02-23-2015, 07:05 PM   #46
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I just saw the store in MA...didn't think it was 100 miles away anywhere in the state
Old 02-23-2015, 09:59 PM   #47
Master Chef

Well MA is small, but it's no Rhode Island. I understand competitive swimmers can hold their breath while driving across the entire width of the state.

From Boston to the New York State line, the MA turnpike is 138 miles long - or five miles shorter than the distance from downtown Cleveland to downtown Columbus. Seriously. Then you have that "arm" of MA. Just driving from the Cape Cod Canal to the tip at Provinetown is over 60 miles!

And all of these distances are just a burp to anyone living out west!
Old 02-23-2015, 10:02 PM   #48
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Well MA is small, but it's no Rhode Island. I understand competitive swimmers can hold their breath while driving across the entire width of the state.

From Boston to the New York State line, the MA turnpike is 138 miles long - or five miles shorter than the distance from downtown Cleveland to downtown Columbus. Seriously. Then you have that "arm" of MA. Just driving from the Cape Cod Canal to the tip at Provinetown is over 60 miles!

And all of these distances are just a burp to anyone living out west!
DAY TRIP!!!!
Old 02-23-2015, 10:05 PM   #49
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
DAY TRIP!!!!
Not with Massachusetts traffic!
Old 02-23-2015, 11:05 PM   #50
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I was talking about the distance in Montana...

Tags
seasoning, seasonings