Your favorite seasoning/seasoning blend

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I buy spices and blend for my all purpose seasoning mix. I use it on just about everything. Only one I use solo is salt for cooking pasta, potatoes and soups.

My mixed spice seasoning blend -

Garlic powder, Onion powder, Goya Adobo Seasoning (with pepper or lemon), Accent (MSG), Sea Salt, Ground peppercorns (4 or 5 variety blend), Cayenne, Hungarian Sweet Paprika, Hungarian Hot Paprika, ground red pepper flakes

For poultry or pork - Add poultry seasoning.
For fish - Add (Old Bay) Lemon and pepper blend
For BBQ - Add Trader Joe smoked paprika or Trader Joe's South African Smoke Seasoning Blend

I go through a lot of paprika, pepper, basil, cinnamon, and Colman's powdered mustard, usually in combination with some other spice that is needed for that particular dish. I've also been on a run of using my Penzeys dehydrated chives - love them! I do mix a lot of my own blends such as for tacos, chili, and Baltimore pit beef. Even if the beef doesn't go on the grill, we still like the blend on our our roast. There is one store-bought blend I can't figure out how to duplicate it - Spice Merchants Thai Coconut Rub. Love that stuff on grilled shrimp, but boy is it pricey compared to anything that Penzeys sells. Since we don't grill shrimp often, I can get a lot of mileage out of an ounce. Running out, and my go-to store in Fort Myers is no longer there. :ohmy:

I go through a lot of paprika, pepper, basil, cinnamon, and Colman's powdered mustard, usually in combination with some other spice that is needed for that particular dish. I've also been on a run of using my Penzeys dehydrated chives - love them! I do mix a lot of my own blends such as for tacos, chili, and Baltimore pit beef. Even if the beef doesn't go on the grill, we still like the blend on our our roast. There is one store-bought blend I can't figure out how to duplicate it - Spice Merchants Thai Coconut Rub. Love that stuff on grilled shrimp, but boy is it pricey compared to anything that Penzeys sells. Since we don't grill shrimp often, I can get a lot of mileage out of an ounce. Running out, and my go-to store in Fort Myers is no longer there. :ohmy:

Check this out!

Not as much fun as a spice run to Fort Myers! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

https://secure.spicemerchants.biz/sm/products/details/414/Thai_Coconut_Rub

There is a store in Mashpee, MA.

Aunt B, I don't think I'll be ordering online. The shipping would cost more than the one seasoning! :LOL:

PF, Mashpee is over 100 miles away, one-way. That's a long way to go for 2 ounces of seasoning!

I did check the website before I posted my first comment, but didn't notice that they had a new store. It turns out that Spice Merchants just opened a shop in Ann Maria Island, FL. That will be on our way to our timeshare week this fall. I'm guessing I have enough left to get me through a couple of shrimp grills, so I can wait. And then buy plenty when I get there! :yum:

Well MA is small, but it's no Rhode Island. :LOL: I understand competitive swimmers can hold their breath while driving across the entire width of the state. :ermm: :ROFLMAO:

From Boston to the New York State line, the MA turnpike is 138 miles long - or five miles shorter than the distance from downtown Cleveland to downtown Columbus. Seriously. Then you have that "arm" of MA. Just driving from the Cape Cod Canal to the tip at Provinetown is over 60 miles!

And all of these distances are just a burp to anyone living out west!

Well MA is small, but it's no Rhode Island. :LOL: I understand competitive swimmers can hold their breath while driving across the entire width of the state. :ermm: :ROFLMAO:

From Boston to the New York State line, the MA turnpike is 138 miles long - or five miles shorter than the distance from downtown Cleveland to downtown Columbus. Seriously. Then you have that "arm" of MA. Just driving from the Cape Cod Canal to the tip at Provinetown is over 60 miles!

And all of these distances are just a burp to anyone living out west!

DAY TRIP!!!!:ROFLMAO:

I was talking about the distance in Montana...:rolleyes:

It always amazes me when I look at a map of the USA. East of the Mississippi, the states are fairly small. They almost look shriveled up, while West of the river, they are huge. If you take a moment to look for yourself, look at the size of MA and compare it to Montana or Texas.

Most states west of the Hudson are big compared to MA, and ridiculously so compared to RI. OH is more than 4 times the size of MA, and we thought a day trip to Columbus and back was nothing. Sizes just go from big west of the Hudson to bigger west of the Mississippi. I guess they got tired thinking up more new names. :LOL: I'm amazed to know that the width of MO is the almost same distance as we drive from where we now live to our daughter's house.

It always amazes me when I look at a map of the USA. East of the Mississippi, the states are fairly small. They almost look shriveled up, while West of the river, they are huge. If you take a moment to look for yourself, look at the size of MA and compare it to Montana or Texas.

And I have to drive up 3000-4000 feet to get out of my valley in any direction. Driving across Montana is one day if you only drive during the day. It's a good 18-20 hours to my parents in Wyoming, driving straight through.

Not with Massachusetts traffic!

Oh how true!!! Try driving to or from the Cape in the summer. If you have to be to work by Monday morning, start your drive home around midnight the day before. Some of the traffic has thinned out by then. Not much, just some.

I have a lawyer friend who had a summer home on the Cape in Eastham. They ended up having to sell it. She missed a couple of very important court dates on a Monday morning. Judges don't want to hear any excuses. It was more costly when she missed those court dates than renting the place out. Then there was the cost of the upkeep. Etc. She is an Ad Litem lawyer for children. Missing those dates created massive guilt in her. :angel:

And I have to drive up 3000-4000 feet to get out of my valley in any direction. Driving across Montana is one day if you only drive during the day. It's a good 18-20 hours to my parents in Wyoming, driving straight through.

Back in 1971, my two best friends and I had all just gotten out of different branches of the military. None of us had been back home in Montana for more than a month, so we were basically just getting reacquainted, swapping war stories. We hopped in Don's Chevelle and took an impromptu 3 day road trip. We drove 1800 miles, just hitting the old places that had memories from our younger days, places we'd fished and hunted and partied, yet we never left the state, never even got closer than 50 miles from the border. There was another time that we actually drove to Missoula for lunch... from Great Falls, 189 miles one way.

You learn to think of distance in a different way out here in the wild west. When I visit my brother in Idaho Falls, ID, it's about a 550 mile, 9 hour drive from Denver, with at least 1/3 of it on 2 lane highway. I just plug in some good music and head out. Last fall I drove from just north of St. Paul, Minnesota to my home here in NE Colorado in about 10½ hours (that means driving all the way across Iowa and Nebraska, as well as more than 100 miles of Minnesota). Iowa and Minnesota have archaic 70 mph speed limits on the freeway. I hate having to slow down that much.

Last edited:
Mashpee is in my neighborhood. It located on the South Shore and can be reached by using the Xpressway. About a 20 minute drive. :angel:
Addie, I think you have Mashpee confused with some other town. Mashpee is on the Cape, over 60 miles away from Boston. Maybe you mean Marshfield? Even that is 30 miles away from you, hardly a 20 minute trip no matter how you get there.

I watched some shows on the history channel a few years back called "How the States Got Their Shapes", it was interesting. I'll have to look at the history channel online and see if the shows are still there. I'm on my phone now and have a hard enough time with the small print let alone having a sleeping kitty sprawled across me, or I'd look now. :)

I recall them saying that rivers make a lot of the natural borders, and that when the east was colonized they had a lot denser population in small areas than the largely unpopulated west and midwest. I guess Jefferson wanted large states west of the Mississippi so there would be enough people per state to support its own govt. I should watch those again, Unger hosted them, I don't remember his first name. :wacko:

Last edited:
Addie, I think you have Mashpee confused with some other town. Mashpee is on the Cape, over 60 miles away from Boston. Maybe you mean Marshfield? Even that is 30 miles away from you, hardly a 20 minute trip no matter how you get there.

Mashpee is not located on Cape Cod proper. It is located just before you go over the Bourne Bridge. Cape Cod proper doesn't start until you cross the bridge. The very first town when you cross the bridge is Sandwich. Famous for glass making. I lived on the Cape for a few years. So I know what towns are considered "on the Cape" And properly, Mashpee is not on the Cape. Mashpee is on the Boston side of the canal. That is not Cape Cod. And it can be reached with relative ease if you leave at the right time. In the morning, everyone is driving north to Boston. So reaching the South Shore is a snap. Practically no traffic at all. My granddaughter's father lived in Mashpee for many years. I went with her when she wanted to see him. :angel:

Last edited:
Addie, I don't like to argue, but I don't like to be told I'm wrong when I am not. I don't know, maybe someone moved Mashpee after you moved from the Cape, but it IS on the cape. It is due south of Sandwich, and very much on the Cape side of the Bourne bridge. From the website "capecodweb.com":

Located on Cape Cod, the Town of Mashpee is the fastest growing municipality in the Commonwealth...

If you go to the "capecodweb" site you can see where Mashpee is on the map for yourself. And I used Google Maps to check the distance to Mashpee from East Boston. 67 miles.

Wishing you sweet dreams. I'm heading off to bed. Again. G'Night.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom