Your favorite seasoning/seasoning blend

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

keylime

Assistant Cook
What are some of your favorite seasonings and seasoning blends, and what do you use them on?

What are some of your favorite seasonings and seasoning blends, and what do you use them on?

We use quite a few seasoning blends. Can't say we have a favorite as they are all based on the cuisine/dish we are making.

Well for me, garlic is number one. As far as a blend, and since visiting France, I've been on an Herbs de Provence kick. It's such a pleasant combination of herbs.

We use quite a few seasoning blends. Can't say we have a favorite as they are all based on the cuisine/dish we are making.

Same here. I use Emeril's Essence (mix it myself) a bit when I want to add some quick zip to something. I like the jerk blend I get from Savory Spice Shop. A couple of others that I really like from them too, Barrier Reef Seafood Seasoning, Cherry Creek Seafood seasoning. I make my own SPOG blends for low and slow smoking/barbecue.

However, I'm also a believer that with many foods, salt and pepper are all that's necessary or desirable, with maybe a single herb for savory flavor.

Garlic, salt, pepper, onion powder, bay leaf and celery seed are the ones I reach for most often.

A nice blend for me would be.

amigofoods_2269_17647100

Same here. I use Emeril's Essence (mix it myself) a bit when I want to add some quick zip to something. I like the jerk blend I get from Savory Spice Shop. A couple of others that I really like from them too, Barrier Reef Seafood Seasoning, Cherry Creek Seafood seasoning. I make my own SPOG blends for low and slow smoking/barbecue.

However, I'm also a believer that with many foods, salt and pepper are all that's necessary or desirable, with maybe a single herb for savory flavor.

Between Penzy's and Savory Spice Shop we spent $80 one day. I love those places!

Between Penzy's and Savory Spice Shop we spent $80 one day. I love those places!

I just got a $60 order in the mail last Wednesday. Since we live less than 1/4 mile from the post office we don't qualify for delivery and have to have a PO box instead. Since Savory sends by Priority Mail, the package was kept overnight in the cabinet in the post office. The postmaster said that there was no doubt what was in the package, the whole post office smelled like a spice shop (the post office here is no larger than most people's living rooms, and smaller than many I've seen). I told her that she could expect that about every other month or so. :)

I don't buy spice blends, but I do like to make my own taco seasoning, bouquet garni, and Italian spice blend. My favorite spice blend, however, is my friend's curry powder. She makes a pint jar for me about 4x/year. I give her eggs and am teaching her sons how to make pasta, pie crust, etc.

I think you showed remarkable restraint! I'm probably lucky that the nearest Penzy's is 7 hours away.

I like McCormick's taco seasoning. I also blend my own Emeril's. I have a lot of different blends. A friend started a spice business with a local chef, and gifted us with a number of their products.

Last edited:
I've gotten into five spice powder. And not just for asian recipes. It's excellent on chicken among other dishes.

Different brands vary. The one I use is simply labelled Five Spice Powder and contains Fennel, Anise, ginger, cloves, cinnamon. Obtainable here in Chinese markets.

I went a little crazy the only time I've been to a Penzey's store. Bought several small jars of their blends. Then there are the samples they send with orders. The ones I've restocked are Northwoods and Northwoods Fire and Santa Fe seasonings, good on vegies and chicken or pork. Also their jerk chicken & fish, and chili powders, and sweet and hot curry powders.

We like Spike also. I sprinkle it and a little cheddar cheese over steamed broccoli and cauliflower, and use it in a chicken divan-ish casserole. I put Spike or Northwoods on home-canned green beans.

I forgot to mention this as one of my favorites. It's the perfect blend of salt, chili and lime. It's just terrific all by itself on roasted chicken, and also on fresh fruits or just about anything.

img_1404538_0_d84eb2ce3785374575681f92bfb3936d.jpg

I forgot to mention this as one of my favorites. It's the perfect blend of salt, chili and lime. It's just terrific all by itself on roasted chicken, and also on fresh fruits or just about anything.

img_1404541_0_d84eb2ce3785374575681f92bfb3936d.jpg

OMG. This is exactly what a friend gave me recently!!
ImageUploadedByDiscuss Cooking1420147549.867730.jpg

You're gonna love it Dawg!! Go to the website for great uses. I love it sprinkled on fresh pineapple and cottage cheese. :yum:

Thanks Kay! I figured I would bathe in it first. Have never seen it here, and one of my girlfriends was so excited to gift me with it! The Iittle bottle is habanero, she said it's muy caliente.

Last edited:

img_1404549_0_d84eb2ce3785374575681f92bfb3936d.jpg

Before I saw the pic, I knew what you were going to show. Tajin is fantastic on any fruit, meat, dairy. I love it stirred into V-8 juice. I was able to get a package of the small bottles to put in my work lunch box.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom