Your favourite (or least favorite) culinary blasphemies.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm with picky eaters. Also those who insist that something is only right if it is prepared the way THEY fix it.

The cinnamon in "spaghetti sauce", by the way, is not supposed to taste like Italian spaghetti sauce. It is a Greek dish, known variously throughout the U.S. as "Greek Spaghetti", "Greek Chili", or "Cincinatti Chili". It isn't supposed to taste of old Italy or even New York Italian-American. It's just that English speakers mostly cannot imagine being able to read Greek, so depending on where they settled, Greek restauranteurs named it whatever the local market would bear.

I guess that would make my peeve people who won't approach food with somewhat an open mind. If you don't like it, fine, but don't insist that your tastebuds are the only ones in the world that count.

Awesome cream cheese. Sometimes I eat it straight up.
I seem to remember a good family time movie, too...

Link to the bean thread please? I can't find that discussion.

My pet peeve is picky eaters. What I mean by that is someone who refuses to try something new, or picks out molecule sized pieces of onion (or what MIGHT be onion) throughout a meal. GADS that's annoying!

I'll try anything that doesn't smell gross and is made of food.

But, I'm one of those people who will pick canned/overcooked peas out of what I'm eating. They taste so yucky they will spoil the whole mouthful for me.

I guess that would make my peeve people who won't approach food with somewhat an open mind. If you don't like it, fine, but don't insist that your tastebuds are the only ones in the world that count.

This is merely a subjective thread. Just a bit of good natured fun. As was stated in the first post, recipes vary. Its all good.:)

Last edited:
Artificial whipped cream (and artificial coffee creamers in restaurants). I hate that stuff. Fake bacon bits on a ceasar salad.

I hate all of those too. That's why I learned to enjoy black coffee :)

This weekend we went out for supper. My dessert had some white whipped stuff on the plate. I tasted a small amount and it was sweet, but had no other flavour.

I asked the waiter what it was, "Whipped cream." Are you sure? It's sweet, but there's no cream flavour. "Oh, it's artificial." :ermm:

Link to the bean thread please? I can't find that discussion.

My pet peeve is picky eaters. What I mean by that is someone who refuses to try something new, or picks out molecule sized pieces of onion (or what MIGHT be onion) throughout a meal. GADS that's annoying!

i am with you on this one. at least take a bite, if you don't like it, just put aside on the plate. on the other hand , i don't like , when a guest, for people to pile anything on my plate, then if i don't like it is obvious.

I have to agree with those who have mentioned artificial substitutes for real foods.

Baco-bits
margarine
Cool Whip
Sweeteners
Pasteurized Processed Cheese Food (Kraft Singles)

...and all the sleazy advertising tricks designed to make you think they are better for you.

American cheese slices

I call it plastic cheese, wrapped in plastic, made of plastic.

I bought some on sale, 2/24 packs for $3.
Two years later, no one had eaten them, I threw them out. They are not food, so they don't expire.

Two years later, no one had eaten them, I threw them out. They are not food, so they don't expire.

I love using Kraft singles (I use the ones label sharp cheddar) for grilled cheese sandwiches.

I refer to them as wallet cheese... they come in their own wallet.

My pet peeves are when Celebrity Chef's give misinformation to boost ratings, or when people are closed minded to new ideas in cooking. For instance, I know that the only factor in producing succulent and tender poultry, or virtually any kind, is cooking to the proper internal temperature. As for cinnamon in spaghetti sauce, I'm guilty. But it wasn't my fault. I was making sauce at my MIL's house. What I didn't know was that she often bought spices in bulk, and used left-over, small spice bottles to portion it out and make it readily available next to the stove. I grabbed a bottle labeled garlic powder, and got cinnamon instead. It truly ruined the sauce.:LOL: But you have to understand that aside from that peculiar habit, my MIL is as close to perfect as any MIL could ever be.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Kraft Deli Deluxe real American cheese slices are good, especially for a cheese sauce for mac n cheese.

Huge difference in real american cheese and others labeled cheese food or cheese product.Those are gross.

I refer to them as wallet cheese... they come in their own wallet.

:LOL:That's great! :LOL:

Not sure why it bugs me, but I get annoyed when a restaurant lists something as "Home Made." Really, you made it at home and brought it in? Or do you live here? (though some may feel like they could answer yes to the second question). I know it's just a condensed way of saying "Made in-house," but it still annoys me for some reason.

My major pet peeve though is when people say things meant to convey an image of health or knowledge when they order, when they actually have no idea what they're talking about.Example:

"Oh, I'm going healthy tonight. I'll just have the Chicken Caesar Salad."
Sure go right ahead, order one of the most high-calorie items on the menu and then stuff yourself with bread and butter to boot because you're unsatisfied because you didn't order what you actually wanted.

or, my favorite conversation:
"Sorry, we can't serve our salmon rare."
"Oh, you don't have high-grade fish here?"
Yes, we do, but our salmon hasn't been properly frozen to pass the health department's standards of safety for undercooked fish. Order the Ahi.

I realize I commented on baked beans with tomato in the other thread, but that was really tongue in cheek. Baked beans can take countless forms including tomato. I would not put this in the blasphemy category.

I don't care for recipes that include a condensed canned soup(s).

I agree with that Andy (you knew that already). I know canned soups are "quick," but they have so much sodium, and often other additives that folks don't pay attention to -- and many should.

Not blasphemy, because I realiz it's a regional thing, but I dislike when shortcakes are made with that spongy cake stuff. I'm from the midwest, where shortcakes are build on biscuits (the baking-powder kind), and that's how I like my strawberry shortcake. Biscuit, please!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom