Your favourite (or least favorite) culinary blasphemies.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rocklobster

Master Chef
Our baked bean thread got me thinking again about how different one dish can be prepared. Nothing can start an argument more than how something is cooked or what ingredients belong in a certain dish. Especially from someone who can claim a dish as being from their region or ethnicity. but, even withing those categories, many differences can be reported.

What gets your goat? When you see a recipe, or somebodies thread about food preparation, or something that you don't agree upon, weather it is an ingredient or procedure?

One example for me is the addition of too much cream in Carbonara. I don't know if it is a regional thing, but I learned to love it while living in Italy, and many times I see it here in North America, serves in a creamy sauce, with all kinds of other ingredients other than pancetta/bacon cheese, olive oil, eggs and parmesan. I realize that other variations can be equally tastey, but some things you just don't fool with.

Anybody care to share their pet peeves, or culinary annoyances?
Be nice...:LOL:

I realize I commented on baked beans with tomato in the other thread, but that was really tongue in cheek. Baked beans can take countless forms including tomato. I would not put this in the blasphemy category.

I don't care for recipes that include a condensed canned soup(s).

I realize I commented on baked beans with tomato in the other thread, but that was really tongue in cheek. Baked beans can take countless forms including tomato. I would not put this in the blasphemy category.

I expected that it was made good naturedly. Just like my dislike for creamy carbonara. Plus, everybody's list would likely be different. I agree with your dislike for condensed canned soup in recipes. Although, they are a good way for cooks to get started or busy people to throw something together quickly.
Another one I have come across is cinnamon in spagetti sauce.

Personally, I really don't have any pet peeves. I love to "play" with food and believe that recipes are meant to be starting points for each person to adjust to their own personal tastes. So, if you wanna put sugar in your cornbread, put sugar in your cornbread....it won't bother me :LOL:.

I expected that it was made good naturedly. Just like my dislike for creamy carbonara. Plus, everybody's list would likely be different. I agree with your dislike for condensed canned soup in recipes. Although, they are a good way for cooks to get started or busy people to throw something together quickly.
Another one I have come across is cinnamon in spagetti sauce.

Wow, I always thought the creaminess was supposed to come from the egg.

My PP stems from a purists attitude to "Q". When someone says they are serving BBQ whatever that they did in a crock O pot, oven or gas grill and/or refers to grilling as BBQ, it sends me into a frenzy!:wacko:

Craig

I just don't use those recipes if the canned soup is really necessary. I got used to not buying canned soup or broth (or even powdered) when I became sensitive to MSG, back in the late '70s. Used to be, the only premade soups I could eat were Habitant Pea Soup and Howard Johnson's clam chowder. Both of them very yummy.

Nowadays I am trying to avoid anything that comes out of a can because of the BPA that leaches into the food. BPA is estrogenic and I'm not supposed to eat estrogenic foods.

The only peev I can think of right now is when restaurants put Hollandaise on their menu for eggs benedict and when it arrives you get a lemon or chicken gravy substance that is anything but Hollandaise.I always ask now if it real and I will send it back if I was mislead.I won't even try it!

Need a little more info here.
Hutzel is dried pears. Greenstein's recipe is essentially a rye bread with citron and or dried apricots and prunes. He make no mention of dried pears, figs, nor hazel nuts. It should be a moist not overly sweet loaf that looks like the following

Attachments

• hutzelbrot.jpg
    hutzelbrot.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 152
Calling something "alfredo" sauce that still tastes of flour is my absolute worst but any "alfredo" sauce made with flour. I've gotten to where I always ask and, as a result, never have anything alfredo outside of the house. :mad:

Karen

Link to the bean thread please? I can't find that discussion.

My pet peeve is picky eaters. What I mean by that is someone who refuses to try something new, or picks out molecule sized pieces of onion (or what MIGHT be onion) throughout a meal. GADS that's annoying!

The only peev I can think of right now is when restaurants put Hollandaise on their menu for eggs benedict and when it arrives you get a lemon or chicken gravy substance that is anything but Hollandaise.I always ask now if it real and I will send it back if I was mislead.I won't even try it!
This reminds me of the time James and I ordered pie at a local restaurant. It was on the menu as Key Lime Pie. We were too full for dessert, so we ordered a whole pie to take home. It wasn't until we got home and I took the box out of the bag that I found out it was regular lime meringue pie (which they had bought and not made).

I'm with Alix on the picky eaters. I know a lot of people who won't even try something because they've never had it before.

Another one is people who automatically salt, or otherwise season, their food without tasting it first. My cousin was visiting us years ago, and he automatically grabbed the salt shaker and liberally shook it all over his corned beef (which he had never tried before).

Back
Top Bottom