Your favourite (or least favorite) culinary blasphemies.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love using Kraft singles (I use the ones label sharp cheddar) for grilled cheese sandwiches.

I refer to them as wallet cheese... they come in their own wallet.

Thanks for the huge guffaw, Frank.

Jenny, Mr. Kraft (whom I had the good fortune to know) would be very disappointed to see what garbage his name is on. :(

A pet peeve of mine came when the server (at Red Lobster), set down my lobster tail and proceeded to squeeze lemon juice all over it! I don't like lemon on my seafood, especially lobster.

Don't assume everyone uses lemon. Lots of people don't like it.

Please post your recipe. sounds delicious! ;)
Hutzelbrot (a sweet fruit bread) can be eaten plain or topped with cream cheese

250 g (8 oz.) coarsely chopped dried pears
125 g (4 oz.) coarsely chopped dried plums (pitted prunes)
250 g all purpose flour
2 tbs. yeast
100 g (3.5 oz.) granulated sugar
1/8 tsp. salt
125 g chopped dried figs
65 g (2.3 oz.) chopped candied lemon peel
65 g chopped candied orange peel
125 g sultanas
125 g black currants
125 g finely chopped almonds
75 g (2.5 oz.) chopped hazelnuts
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground aniseed
1/16 teaspoon ea. ground cloves & ground allspice
1 grated lemon peel
2 tablespoons kirshwasser or dry plum brandy

Stew pears and prunes for 15 minutes in 1 cup of lightly boiling water.
Pour off and reserve liquid.
Combine yeast, ¼ cup of cooled reserved liquid and 4 tablespoons of the 8 ounces of four and let rest for 20 minutes.
Incorporate the balance of the flour and then allow to rise for 30 minutes.
Mix an additional ¼ cup of the reserved liquid, the sugar, salt, and spices into the dough.
Work in the stewed fruits, and all of the other fruits, the nuts and kirshwasser.
If too stiff to work in all of the ingredients additional quantities of the reserved liquid can be added.
The result should be a fairly stiff but sticky dough.
Form a ball and allow to rise overnight in a warm location.
Preheat oven to 195 C (380 F)
Knead briefly and form dough into two or three loaves, each about 2” high.
Allow to rise on a greased or parchment lined baking sheet for about 45 minutes.
Bake for 30 to 40 minutes.

In addition to eating plain or with a schmeer of Philly Creamcheese, it's a nice accompaniment to Manchego.

Last edited:
A pet peeve of mine came when the server (at Red Lobster), set down my lobster tail and proceeded to squeeze lemon juice all over it! I don't like lemon on my seafood, especially lobster.

Don't assume everyone uses lemon. Lots of people don't like it.
That is why when I order iced tea in a restaurant, I always say, "No lemon." I love lemon, just not in my tea.

No one should ever presume you want something on your food, unless it states in the menu that it will be served that way. That way you know if you need to ask for it to be served without that item.

I'm with Alix on the picky eaters. I know a lot of people who won't even try something because they've never had it before.

Another one is people who automatically salt, or otherwise season, their food without tasting it first. My cousin was visiting us years ago, and he automatically grabbed the salt shaker and liberally shook it all over his corned beef (which he had never tried before).

I am so totally with you on this one! My husband douses everything in salt and it drives me bloody mental, especially when I've spent an hour our two putting a lovely dinner together.

I 'joke' that he'd put salt in Salt Soup if I served it to him! :huh:

I wouldn't say it makes me angry, but I find it strange that mexican dishes get loaded up with cilantro, an herb that originated in Asia. I really dislike cilantro, but I love mexican food, so it bothers me that "authentic" mexican food has to be drowned in cilantro :(

I love cheesus,
Who Almighty cheesus
No Kraft cheesus:)

Tripe ala mode de Caen smells like a satanic botty cough and tastes like eating 1 yrs old chabichou.

I hate it when someone takes a classic dish, substitutes everything or most everything so that the new one has few or none of the ingredients of the original, yet calls it by the name of the classic dish. To me, that's blasphemy! :censored: Banana's Foster comes to mind as a recent example.

This happens a lot with the French "Mother Sauces" such as Bechamel or Hollandaise, or popular sauces such as Alfredo sauce. :mad:

Last edited:
Dumplings. Here in the states they are different in various regions. For me a dumpling is a biscuit like creation , light and fluffy and sitting atop a lovely meat and veggie stew. I was working as a truck driver and stopped at a truck stop that had an "Amish" restaurant. Chicken and dumplings were on the menu and my mouth just watered at the thought of dumplings so I ordered it. (It's awfully hard to find anything but fast food in truck stops these days.) Imagine my disappointment when what I got was nothing more than chicken noodle soup. Apparently dumplings can also be sort of fat noodles. I know that people from the south especially swear by their dumplings but for me, well, just give me the fat fluffy ones.

Any suggestions prefaced with, "It tastes just like (the real food)"...no it doesn't.

Artificial foods made with chemicals...not food.

People changing ingredients in a recipe they asked for and then being upset because it didn't taste the same.

Dumplings. Here in the states they are different in various regions. For me a dumpling is a biscuit like creation , light and fluffy and sitting atop a lovely meat and veggie stew. I was working as a truck driver and stopped at a truck stop that had an "Amish" restaurant. Chicken and dumplings were on the menu and my mouth just watered at the thought of dumplings so I ordered it. (It's awfully hard to find anything but fast food in truck stops these days.) Imagine my disappointment when what I got was nothing more than chicken noodle soup. Apparently dumplings can also be sort of fat noodles. I know that people from the south especially swear by their dumplings but for me, well, just give me the fat fluffy ones.

Yes. I have noticed the difference from one region to another. Up hear it is the light fluffy kind. I have seen some where the dough is rolled out thin like cookie dough and cut up in squares and boiled in broth. I wonder if that is a combination derived from the German Spaetzle influence. This is a Southern thing? How north does one have to go before the dumplings change from that kind to the fluffy ones we speak of? Interesting.

I hate it when someone takes a classic dish, substitutes everything or most everything so that the new one has few or none of the ingredients of the original, yet calls it by the name of the classic dish. To me, that's blasphemy! :censored: Banana's Foster comes to mind as a recent example.

This happens a lot with the French "Mother Sauces" such as Bechamel or Hollandaise, or popular sauces such as Alfredo sauce. :mad:

+1

I was raised with the light fluffy dumplings as well, but I never had chicken and dumplings until a few years ago. In our house, when dumplings were served, it was always cherries and dumplings! When I told my cousin we were having cherries and dumplings one night, he made a face because he thought there was chicken in it. :LOL:

Last edited:
Hmm lets see:

pancakes from a mix or at a restaurant...they're more like grainy syrup sponges..blech
coffee "whitener"
Instant coffee
canned mushrooms

I've heard some people say pineapple on pizza is "wrong", but it's one of my favourite toppings :)

I had to google every phrase in that sentence. I'm still not sure I've got it. I think you're saying that you don't like it, but I could be wrong...
A Satanic botty(bottom) cough is a vicious fart(trouser trumpet) mainly caused by a hot Ruby Murray and 3 pints of Guinness, aged chabichou is a 1 to 2yrs old pastel of goats cheese.:):ermm:

To each their own, and I will eat anything, so there's nothing I can say is "blasphemous," but one thing that scratches my chalkboard is grossly overcooked pasta. I'd rather drink a bottle of Elmer's Glue.

Back
Top Bottom