"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-22-2011, 02:09 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Your favourite (or least favorite) culinary blasphemies.

Our baked bean thread got me thinking again about how different one dish can be prepared. Nothing can start an argument more than how something is cooked or what ingredients belong in a certain dish. Especially from someone who can claim a dish as being from their region or ethnicity. but, even withing those categories, many differences can be reported.

What gets your goat? When you see a recipe, or somebodies thread about food preparation, or something that you don't agree upon, weather it is an ingredient or procedure?

One example for me is the addition of too much cream in Carbonara. I don't know if it is a regional thing, but I learned to love it while living in Italy, and many times I see it here in North America, serves in a creamy sauce, with all kinds of other ingredients other than pancetta/bacon cheese, olive oil, eggs and parmesan. I realize that other variations can be equally tastey, but some things you just don't fool with.

Anybody care to share their pet peeves, or culinary annoyances?
Be nice...

Old 03-22-2011, 02:23 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

I realize I commented on baked beans with tomato in the other thread, but that was really tongue in cheek. Baked beans can take countless forms including tomato. I would not put this in the blasphemy category.

I don't care for recipes that include a condensed canned soup(s).

Old 03-22-2011, 02:27 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I realize I commented on baked beans with tomato in the other thread, but that was really tongue in cheek. Baked beans can take countless forms including tomato. I would not put this in the blasphemy category.

I expected that it was made good naturedly. Just like my dislike for creamy carbonara. Plus, everybody's list would likely be different. I agree with your dislike for condensed canned soup in recipes. Although, they are a good way for cooks to get started or busy people to throw something together quickly.
Another one I have come across is cinnamon in spagetti sauce.
Old 03-22-2011, 02:34 PM   #4
Head Chef

Personally, I really don't have any pet peeves. I love to "play" with food and believe that recipes are meant to be starting points for each person to adjust to their own personal tastes. So, if you wanna put sugar in your cornbread, put sugar in your cornbread....it won't bother me .
Old 03-22-2011, 02:39 PM   #5
Executive Chef

The Hutzelbrot recipe in George Greenstein's "Secrets of a Jewish Baker".
Old 03-22-2011, 03:14 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
I expected that it was made good naturedly. Just like my dislike for creamy carbonara. Plus, everybody's list would likely be different. I agree with your dislike for condensed canned soup in recipes. Although, they are a good way for cooks to get started or busy people to throw something together quickly.
Another one I have come across is cinnamon in spagetti sauce.
Wow, I always thought the creaminess was supposed to come from the egg.

My PP stems from a purists attitude to "Q". When someone says they are serving BBQ whatever that they did in a crock O pot, oven or gas grill and/or refers to grilling as BBQ, it sends me into a frenzy!

Craig
Old 03-22-2011, 03:28 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:

I just don't use those recipes if the canned soup is really necessary. I got used to not buying canned soup or broth (or even powdered) when I became sensitive to MSG, back in the late '70s. Used to be, the only premade soups I could eat were Habitant Pea Soup and Howard Johnson's clam chowder. Both of them very yummy.

Nowadays I am trying to avoid anything that comes out of a can because of the BPA that leaches into the food. BPA is estrogenic and I'm not supposed to eat estrogenic foods.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:39 PM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
The Hutzelbrot recipe in George Greenstein's "Secrets of a Jewish Baker".

Need a little more info here.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:42 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Need a little more info here.
Yes. Do tell!
Old 03-22-2011, 04:01 PM   #10
Half Baked

The only peev I can think of right now is when restaurants put Hollandaise on their menu for eggs benedict and when it arrives you get a lemon or chicken gravy substance that is anything but Hollandaise.I always ask now if it real and I will send it back if I was mislead.I won't even try it!

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote