Your favourite pub grub?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

baking fool

Senior Cook
mine's a good ol bacon/cheese burger & onion rings (or fries if i have to), beef dip or fish & chips.

baking fool, what's a beef dip? is that a french dipped (in au jus) beef sandwich?

i agree about the boiguh, just make mine with irish bacon, and cheddar cheese. and rings/fries with a pool of salted malt vinegar.

or how about extra spicey buffalo wings, with lotsa celery and blue cheese.

or steamed clams in broth, and a hunk o' bread.

or mussels fra diavolo, with more bread.

or chili, topped with cheese and raw onions in a bread bowl?

or a carolina style pulled pork sandwich, and potato chips?

or hot dogs, with kraut, onion sauce, and extra spicey mustard? and and baked beans?

or sausage, peppers, and onions parm, extra sauce!!!!

my god am i hungry. i'm going to lunch now. :)

Last edited:
vagriller, ya gotta come to nyc for great pub grub. many of the irish places offer a pretty good menu since they also have a table service area and menu. i tried to keep it to stuff you could eat at the bar, easily.

Last edited:
a good grilled cheese and tomato sandwich, if they have it with bacon!!!!!:rolleyes:

I actually did have a bar place mayo on this sandwich one time and it looked so nasty i wouldn't eat it. Who puts mayo on a grilled cheese sandwich?
It makes it look like I am eating an abscess.:sick:

In this order: Long Island Iced Tea, Nachos Grrrrande, Long Island Iced Tea, Cheddar Burger w/fries, Long Island Iced Tea.

I can't tell you how many times I've orderd that.:LOL:

Over the years we've tended to go with whatever the particular "pub" did best.

Some of our favorites:

A terrific, rich, cognac-laced gratineed onion soup so heavy with cheese you couldn't possibly eat anything else afterwards.

A mile-high Reuben sandwich on good toasted seeded rye bread.

Fish & chips so crisp & light they almost floated off your plate..

Burgers so fresh & juicy it was a crime not to order them.

A softshell crab sandwich on a crusty roll accompanied by a bloody mary garnished with jumbo shrimp.

when we were in Scotland recently i had either fish and chips
or meat pies and chips .. and lots of brown sauce ...
here .. i really like boneless wings .. and southwestern egg rolls ...
but i have never turned down a good burger .. seems like a lost
art these days ..

add to all the above fried calamari n marinara dippin sauce, grilled steak sliced over ceasar salad, a great seafood chowder. yum oh and a wood oven pizza!

buckytom said:
baking fool, what's a beef dip? is that a french dipped (in au jus) beef sandwich?
i think it's called a french dip in some places, we call it a beef dip around here. it's best when it's on a super crusty bun/roll that won't dissolve in the au jus. some pubs use a soft sub sandwich bun which disintegrates when eating... terrible :sick: wikipedia says the two restaurants in LA that claim to have invented it serve the beef dip already 'dipped' but here i've always gotten it 'undipped' & with a little bowl of au jus on the side.

or how about extra spicey buffalo wings, with lotsa celery and blue cheese.
i generally love spicy foods, but not wings. if i get wings i usually get honey garlic, teriyaki or sweet chilli (which are more sweet than chilli)

Robo410 said:
add to all the above fried calamari n marinara dippin sauce
i forgot all about fried kalamari w/tzatziki! that's another bigtime favourite of mine, i can never seem to get enough! (as long as it's crispy anyway... rubbery chewy kalamari is no good)

BreezyCooking said:
Fish & chips so crisp & light they almost floated off your plate
yeah the best fish AND chips is light but crispy. at some pubs the batter is thick & crusty, at some it's light but soggy, the best is both. i seem to like everything light & crispy... i never noticed that before :-p

Back
Top Bottom