Your ideas for using anchovies & paste, please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tom mate do you wet shave I do and I usually nick myself just under the nose. A mashed piece of anchovy smeared on the gash stops the bleeding.

a broccoli confit, anyone? yes, they say you can cook your broccoli to death and wind up with a delicious revolutionary topping for bread, pasta, pizza....here's how it's done: you blanch two bunches of broccoli florets five minutes) then, in a large pan, saute 3 thinly sliced garlic cloves, 2 hot peppers (or hot pepper flakes) in one cup olive oil. then let 4 anchovy fishies melt in here. add the broccoli, s+p to the pan, lower heat to low/slow and cook the whole shebang for 2 hours, gently stirring occasionally w/spatula. and there you have it! i've not made this broccoli confit yet, but i sure can taste it in my mind, where it rocks!.... :)

and no broccoli (sulfur) smell when you slow cook it this way.... :)

when i put anchovies on pizza, i wait til the pizza is almost done, then put them on. if i order pizza, i either have some in pantry or ask for them on the side. no shriveling that way.

that's the way to go, babe. they're nasty all dried up from baking (don't get me started with asian fish jerky, yuk), but added to pizza somewhat moist and they're delicious.

have you ever tried mussels marinara on pizza, babe?

Melted...they melt and are a nice addition to lots of things. I don't like them on pizza--too salty for me. But I like to add a bit of paste to pasta...and lots of things.

that's the way to go, babe. they're nasty all dried up from baking (don't get me started with asian fish jerky, yuk), but added to pizza somewhat moist and they're delicious.

have you ever tried mussels marinara on pizza, babe?[/Q

no haven't tried those, but sounds awfully good. do you make them from scratch or do they come in jars?:chef:

from zvratch. they're so easy it's almost wrong to say you cooked them

i buy a small mesh bag of cleaned (beards removed, scrubbed, soaked in water to remove sand).

in a deep saute pan, fry a little onion and garlic, add a pinch or two of oregano, some sugar, and a good pinch of red pepper flakes, some fresh basil, and dump in and simmer a medium sized can of crushed tomatoes. when it begins to thicken a little, add the mussels and cover. simmer for just a few minutes until they open.

now, pull out the mussels and use the sauce to make the pizza. then, after the pizza is cooked, shell and put the mussels on top.

yum.

Aren't anchovies usually salty? Sometimes salt will stop bleeding. I astonished a couple of friends at my usual third place when a new puppy scratch on my arm broke open and wouldn't stop bleeding. It was just a shallow scratch but just would not dry up. Asked favorite publican for a salt shaker, wet my handkerchief with saliva (just like your mom used to do), shook some salt on it, and dabbed the scratch. Healed right up. my friends asked me how I know to do that? It's what my Daddy calls "GI Ingenuity" when we were kids.

'jansson's temptation' is a swedish scalloped potato-type dish (jansson's frestelse) using anchovies and anchovy oil. this is OMG delicious beyond words, simple to make, and requires but a few ingredients. JT is a great dish to make if you think or know you don't like anchovies, but are game to try baby steps....

thanks, gg.:) i was able to find it using dc's advanced search. hey cws, killer swedish potato dish! yours is the recipe i used, too. i would post the link for it here, only i don't know how....

thanks, gg.:) i was able to find it using dc's advanced search. hey cws, killer swedish potato dish! yours is the recipe i used, too. i would post the link for it here, only i don't know how....
Thanks! I'm having a problem with the search function, also. I also posted the Norwegian Sailor Stew recipe, which Whiska tweaked beautifully, that uses anchovies. Can't search for the link. I am addicted to those potatoes. The leftovers are better the next day, btw.

one lady who made these jansson's temptation potatoes reported that she subbed a tube of anchovy paste for the 14 swedish anchovies (smelts) or regular anchovies, called for in the recipe. she made the swedish potatoes for herself and her anchovy-hating husband, who ended up crazy about them, totally clueless about the anchovy component...the lady stated that, much as they liked her first batch of JT potatoes, she planned to either use whole anchovies next time, or else use 2 tubes of anchovy paste. however, with the paste you don't have the benefit of the fish oil, either.

Last edited:
I saw the recipe for Jansen's Temptation. It used the whole anchovy though. How would I use anchovy paste instead?

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
When I haven't had anchovies or not enough, I have used paste (smears of it) on top of the potatoes. It works, although I prefer using the Swedish anchovies (sprats) one gets at IKEA. Otherwise, I rinse the heck out of Spanish or Italian anchovies to get rid of the oil and salt, do a quick brine of sugar and vinegar to "sweeten" the anchovies so that they have that sweet-tart taste that Swedish anchovies have.

Thanks. One more question, prefaced by a statement; we can get wild rainbow smelt in the spring, when they run. Are these approximately the same thing as anhcovies? My Dad once brined them in a solution of brine and brown sugar, then smoked them. They were fabulous. Would that be similar to Swedish anchovies?

Ok, that's two questions.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
Fascinating thread.
I'm one of those people that used to shudder when offered anchovies, sardines, smelts or herring in any form, shape or mixture. My father used to make sardine sandwiches, just layed the sardines out whole on the bread and gently press them, yech. He and Mom would come home 'happy as clams' with buckets of smelts from the spring run. He loved pickled herring.

Actually I still shudder a bit but while my brother was here he was allowed to have sardines only on the promise that the can would be washed, with soap! within 5 minutes of opening. :LOL: Plus the can had to be opened over the sink so that no oil would get on the counter. :rolleyes:

I now use fish sauce in my cooking and I have started using anchovy paste in various sauces. I've copied a few of those recipes from this thread and am going to get brave and try some.:wacko:

Back
Top Bottom