Your Potluck Favorites

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lhanson

Cook
Have to bring a dish or two to the in-laws for lunch on Easter and also have a baby shower coming up that I am hosting and need a few ideas on what to make. The main dishes are taken care of so would need a type of side dish or appetizer.
I usually make coleslaw (copycat of KFC's) or Cheesy Potatoes (resembles a hashbrown casserole), but would like to try something different.
What are the items that you all take to gatherings that everyone there raves about?

Stuffed mushrooms
Spinach artichoke dip
Mini-lemon cakes
store bought meat balls with my homemade bbq sauce
spinach and orange salad

If any of these sound good and you'd like a recipe just let me know.

I posted this in another thread (what to bring to cook-outs), but it's worth repeating, since everyone always asks me for the recipe when they try it. I actually take copies with me now - LOL!

Lee

California Chinese Coleslaw

1 head grated cabbage

1 pkg. (3/4 cup) slivered almonds, toasted
8 green onions, chopped
2 pkg. Ramen noodles, broken into pieces (uncooked)
(I discard the seasoning packet, but you can use it in the dressing, if you want)
1pkg. (1/2 cup) sesame seeds, toasted

Dressing:

1 cup oil ½ cup sugar
6 T. vinegar
dash pepper
dash garlic powder

Leaving out oil, heat the other dressing ingredients until sugar melts. Add oil and cool.

Mix grated cabbage and green onions.

Toast almonds and sesame seeds separately, since the almonds take longer. Combine with the dried broken noodles.

To prevent sogginess, toss everything together just before serving.

7 layer dip with corn chips
refried beans (pinto or black) jack cheese, diced tomatoes, lettuce, sour cream, ground meat with taco seasoning, salsa, and you can add sliced olives, sliced jalapenos making it 9 layers. go any order you like (meat or beans are best on bottom ... peppers in the middle, sour cream or cheese on top. Almost a taco salad by the chip! always popular, easy to make, travels well, etc etc. then give it a fancy name:

Tex Mex Tourine

Last edited:
One of my favorite dishes to take to parties and potlucks is Broccoli Salad. After all the filling foods it is nice to have something on the light side. If you are not going to serve it right away, pour on the dressing just before serving.

Broccoli Salad

Salad:

6 cups broccoli florets
½ cup dried cranberries
½ cup minced red onion
¼ cup slivered almonds, toasted
4 strips of bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
2 tablespoons sugar

Dressing:

½ cup olive oil
¼ cup lemon juice
1½ teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon stoneground or Dijon mustard
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper

Cut large broccoli florets into bite-size pieces. Place all salad ingredients in a large bowl; set aside. Whisk together dressing ingredients in medium bowl and pour over salad. Toss well to coat all ingredients with dressing. Refrigerate until well chilled. Serves: 6 - 8

Last edited:
Here is an appetizer that always seems to be a hit.:)

Garden Veggie Pizza Squares

1 (8 oz.) package refrigerated crescent rolls
1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese, softened
1 (1 oz.) package Ranch-style dressing mix
2 carrots, finely chopped or shredded
1/2 cup chopped red bell peppers
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
1/2 cup fresh broccoli, chopped
1/2 cup chopped green onions

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Roll out crescent rolls onto a large non-stick baking sheet. Stretch and flatten to form a single rectangular shape on the baking sheet. Bake 11 to 13 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden brown. Allow to cool. Place cream cheese in a medium bowl. Mix cream cheese with 1/2 of the ranch dressing mix. Adjust the amount of dressing mix to taste. Spread the mixture over the cooled crust. Arrange carrots, red bell pepper, broccoli and green onions on top. Chill in the refrigerator approximately 1 hour. Cut into bite-size squares to serve. Makes 48 squares (24 servings).

Cook up a bag of wings on the grill, with the lid on. Use a good wood such as maple, or mequite to add flavor. While the wings are cooking, Put together a mixture of 1 can tomato sauce, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 2 tsp. onion powder, 2 tbs. Lee & Perrin's Worcestershire Sauce, 1 tsp. yellow prepared mustard, and a healthy dose of cayenne pepper. Heat in a small saucepan to dissolve the sugar. Taste. Adjust ingredients to taste.

When the wings are done, throw into your slow cooker and cover with the sauce. Take it to work (or wherever), plug in the slow cooker on low, and be prepared to take bows.:LOL:

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

When I was in the US I remember pigs in blanket were always a big hit, one of the first items to disappear. You just roll up the lil smokey wieners in pilsbury crescent dough (sliced into a few pieces) and pop them in the oven, it was one of the easiest ways to please just about everyone!!
They are even nicer with some varieties of mustard to serve with.

I make a chickpea (garbanzo bean) and potato salad that is a big hit. I don't like to use canned chickpeas and find it easier to soak mine overnight and then pressure cook them. If you don't want to do that you surely can use the canned ones. Just ensure you rinse them out well.

5 large cans of chickpeas (rinsed, drained and toss them in a large bowl)
3 potatoes boiled and chopped into medium dice
1/2 cup of freshly chopped corrainder (cilantro) leaves
1/4 cup of freshly chopped mint leaves
1 green chilli or jalapeno finely diced
2 cloves of garlic finely diced
1 red onion finely chopped (super fine but not in a chopper or blender)
2 tsp of cumin powder

Dressing
I like to use tamarind pulp but if you can't find it you can use lime juice. Here is the traditional way I make it and an alternate for those who don't use tamarind or don't know where to find it.

Traditional
1/2 tbsp of tamarind concentrate (pretty fruity and tart)
3 tbsp of brown sugar
pinch of salt
1/2 cup of water

Bring this all to a boil and let it cool. Add it to the chickpea salad and mix it together.

Non-Traditional
3 tbsp of lime juice
brown sugar about 3 tbsp
pinch of salt or to taste
Stir it all together and pour it into the salad

Mix and let the flavors mingle for a couple of hours before serving or bringing it to a potluck.

Thanks for the ideas! I will be trying some of them. I will look for the cook-out thread.

pdswife: Could you please post the mini-lemon cakes recipe? I love anything lemon! Also would like your stuffed mushrooms recipe.

Ihanso, here's a link to the mini- lemon cakes

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_32409,00.html

The stuffed mushroom recipe

8 large mushrooms
1/2 cup Italian bread crumbs ( I used garlic)
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
2 cloves garlic minced ( I used three)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 cup clams, drained and chopped small
1/2 teaspoon salt
melted butter for brushing

Remove stems from the mushrooms and chop.
mix up all the other ingredienst ( NOT the mushroom caps)
Fill the mushrooms with the mixture and brush with melted butter
bake for 25 minutes ( I baked them for about 20) at 350

You can make these a head of time and then reheat.

Back
Top Bottom