"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Food and Cooking Gear Reviews
Click Here to Login

Old 10-18-2017, 11:03 PM   #1
Head Chef

Barilla Ready Pasta

Just for grins, I bought a couple packets of Barilla Ready Pasta to try. Yes, pasta is already easy, and relatively quick to cook, but since I travel a lot, and stay in hotels a lot, This product could give me a microwaveable alternative to restaurant food.

The test came out a lot better than I expected. The pasta wasn't bad at all. It was a little starchy on its own, but mixed with OO or some sauce, it was fine.

I figure I can pick up some Ready Pasta, some fresh veggies, and a small jar of sauce or can of crushed tomatoes at any grocery store, and make a filling meal that is bound to be healthier than restaurant food -- and probably cheaper.

CD

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ReadyPasta.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	28197  

Old 10-19-2017, 05:19 PM   #2
Head Chef

Move over Ramen, the Italians are coming...

Ross

Old 10-19-2017, 07:50 PM   #3
Head Chef

I also travel a lot, just might have to give this a try.
Old 10-19-2017, 08:23 PM   #4
Executive Chef

I had a pleasant encounter with some Barilla pasta this week. Before I cooked some jumbo shells for stuffed shells, I glanced at the sell by date. 2012. Seriously. I googled how to tell if pasta was too old to eat. 2 things. It will taste old or it will disintegrate when boiled. So I boiled up one shell.. tasted great and it held up well. So since I had already made the almond ricotta "cheese" and was really looking forward to trying this dish, we ate the 5 year old shells.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:36 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

A year or so ago, I received a free box of this Barilla product. I wanted something quick to eat, cooked it up, added some butter with a couple of spoonful's of jarred sauce and I had myself a tasty meal.

Unfortunately for me, my store doesn't carry the Barilla Ready Pasta. They do have regular Barilla products. If they did, I would be buying it all the time.
Old 10-20-2017, 02:27 PM   #6
Sous Chef

I live in Italy, where Barilla pasta is the flagship of Italian pasta. The great majority of Italians use Barilla. I think it's good that Barilla recognise the strains of the working life of millions of people, and have the resources to come up with a solution that works really well. That, I think, is the main objective of this amazing organisation. Long may it continue!

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde
Old 10-20-2017, 06:07 PM   #7
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by di reston View Post
I live in Italy, where Barilla pasta is the flagship of Italian pasta. The great majority of Italians use Barilla. I think it's good that Barilla recognise the strains of the working life of millions of people, and have the resources to come up with a solution that works really well. That, I think, is the main objective of this amazing organisation. Long may it continue!
Barilla is one of the biggest brands here, too. It is mostly what I use.

My interest in the microwaveable pasta is mainly for when I stay in hotels, which I do very often. All they have is microwave ovens and mini-fridges.

CD
Old 10-20-2017, 08:09 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Cooking View Post
Move over Ramen, the Italians are coming...

Ross
Lol Ross.

Thanks for this, Casey. I don't travel a lot, but I spend so much time at work that a good, cheap source of cooked pasta along with a jar of sauce is a Godsend. I can eat out every night from cuisines of more than a dozen countries, all accessible within a few blocks of my job, but I often crave a simple dish of pasta in a sauce. And I don't like to pay $12 or more for it from a restaurant.

As far as Barilla goes, I'll buy a product if it suits me. Plain and simple. Barilla has had some controversy in the past, but I'm tired of everyone's protests about everything.
Old 10-21-2017, 01:32 AM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom...
I'm tired of everyone's protests about everything.
This should be your signature! Heck, it could be my signature, too. I bet a lot of us here would use it as our signatures.

"A dream is a festival of lights within your mind."~~~Joan Walsh Anglund
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pasta