Burt's Guinness Thick Cut Hand Cooked potato chips review!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kleenex

Master Chef
So I go to my local grocery store and in the craft beer section they had this import item from the UK in for 3.99 a bag for 5.3 ounces:

guinness_pbg.jpg

ingredients in this chips included barley malt extract powder, fat reduced cocoa, Buttermilk powder, sugar and more...

Certainly thicker than a regular Lays chip, but not too thick.

This bag did include really large chips in it.

The chip color was darkish in color like the beer.

I have never had this beer before so I did not know what to expect, but in the end the flavor was really good.

Nice and crunchy.

This would have been a REALLY GREAT chip with no flavor on it.

A big thumbs up from me, but I am not so sure many people will find it.

So I go to my local grocery store and in the craft beer section they had this import item from the UK in for 3.99 a bag for 5.3 ounces:

guinness_pbg.jpg

ingredients in this chips included barley malt extract powder, fat reduced cocoa, Buttermilk powder, sugar and more...

Certainly thicker than a regular Lays chip, but not too thick.

This bag did include really large chips in it.

The chip color was darkish in color like the beer.

I have never had this beer before so I did not know what to expect, but in the end the flavor was really good.

Nice and crunchy.

This would have been a REALLY GREAT chip with no flavor on it.

A big thumbs up from me, but I am not so sure many people will find it.
I'm rather partial to a glass of Guinness but I've never come across these chips. They sound rather good (and this from someone who doesn't go much on your average packet of crisps/chips!) but 514 calories in 100grammes and a pack has 150grammes in it!!!

My hubby would absolutely adore these, as he is a HUGE fan of Guinness. I personally don't care for any stout beer - and I'm half Irish... go figure. <grin> There is a British shop in the DFW area that might stock these, so I'll look the next time I'm there.

I might like them. I really, really dislike Guinness. OTOH, I have had stew made with Guinness and it was good.

I'm rather partial to a glass of Guinness but I've never come across these chips. They sound rather good (and this from someone who doesn't go much on your average packet of crisps/chips!) but 514 calories in 100grammes and a pack has 150grammes in it!!!

That is the UK nutritional information.

US nutrition information says....

13 chips in one oz.

Calories 140

Sodium 140

Sugar 1g

I might like them. I really, really dislike Guinness. OTOH, I have had stew made with Guinness and it was good.

I never was expected to EVER see this chip, but in between a couple columns of Guinness beer were these chips. Price was high, but those chips would be so HARRRD for me to even find again.

Onto the Rich Chili Flavor

Okay I went back to the same grocery store and they had a couple bags left of this flavor.

Same expensive price.

Same color and crunch.

You could certainly taste something extra going on with this chip.

The extra flavor though was not even special at all.

I give this flavor a medium sized thumbs up at best. Just stick to the original.

Well, the local Legislature ixnayed again this year, as it has every year since the End of Prohibition, No Beer Sales on Sundays. They also down voted No New Car Sales on Sundays. Probably about the only two businesses that can not be open on Sundays. Not sure the two are related, but the Legislature assures that if the party is to continue the whole weekend, one must Drive across the Bridge to Wisconsin in our Used Automobiles if we want Beer. On Sundays. Just have to wait to return home to drink it.

Now, Guinness. Why I like Guinness. It is so thick it leaves a perfect mustache impression on top of the foam in your beer mug.

I shop liquor stores so seldom, it's not the first place I would go to look for chips, it's hard enough figuring out where they changed the displays around between visits. These sound like something I might like.

:LOL: I know, Whiska, stupid blue laws. ND has similar issues, though I think they can still sell new cars on Sundays. At least my dad did at his dealership. ;)

Would never have thought of beer-flavored chips.

Last edited:
Well, the local Legislature ixnayed again this year, as it has every year since the End of Prohibition, No Beer Sales on Sundays. They also down voted No New Car Sales on Sundays. Probably about the only two businesses that can not be open on Sundays. Not sure the two are related, but the Legislature assures that if the party is to continue the whole weekend, one must Drive across the Bridge to Wisconsin in our Used Automobiles if we want Beer. On Sundays. Just have to wait to return home to drink it.

Now, Guinness. Why I like Guinness. It is so thick it leaves a perfect mustache impression on top of the foam in your beer mug.

I shop liquor stores so seldom, it's not the first place I would go to look for chips, it's hard enough figuring out where they changed the displays around between visits. These sound like something I might like.

This was an odd find even for me. I am not so sure a mom and pop liquor store would even carry this product. It is the only Burt's Items I have ever seen in the USA.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom