"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Food and Cooking Gear Reviews
Click Here to Login

Old 08-21-2019, 11:34 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Crispy Oven-Baked Chicken Wings

Here's a recipe I came across by accident - sounds interesting.
Has anyone used this recipe, or something close to it, who could provide a critique ?
QUOTE:
Toss out that deep fryer, just like last year’s jeans. We’ve got the solution to crispy chicken wings without the hassle of deep frying. These ones are baked but use a secret technique to make them extra crisp.
  • Author:Lyndsay Burginger
  • Prep Time:5 minutes
  • Cook Time:1 hour 20 minutes
  • Total Time:1 hour 25 minutes
  • Yield:20 wings 1x
Scale 1x2x3x
Ingredients
  • 10 whole chicken wings, cut into flats and drumettes (here’s how to do it). Discard tips or use for a stock. That leaves you with 20 wing pieces total
  • 1 Tbsp. aluminum-free* baking powder (NOT baking soda)
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • sauce or dry rub

Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 250°F.
  2. Place a rack onto a cookie sheet.
  3. In a large bowl, toss the flats and drumettes with the baking powder and salt. Place wings on the rack in single layer and cook for 30 minutes.
  4. After 30 minutes, leave them in there and raise the heat to 425°F until brown and crispy, 40-50 minutes.
  5. Take wings out and let rest 5 minutes. Toss in a delicious sauce like this one and serve.

Notes
As stated at the top of this article and in the comments below, some baking powders contain aluminum and some people (maybe 10%) can really taste it and it tastes bitter to them. To make sure that your wings do not taste bitter, please use an aluminum-free baking powder such as Rumford brand. And as noted everywhere, please make sure you’re using baking powder and NOT baking soda. And please make sure that you’re just using a little bit of baking powder, like the 1 tablespoon called for. You are not trying to create a breading or coating for the wings. You are just putting a little bit because that little bit changes the ph of the wings which is what makes them crisp up so well. Who knew there was so much to say about baking powder??? lol
Adapted from Cook’s Country. The science behind it all can be found here on Serious Eats.

Old 08-21-2019, 11:58 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Hi Paul. I've heard of this wing method and I'm glad you brought it up. I notice a big difference in cooking times and method with Kenji's video and given a choice, Kenji always wins hands down for me. I'll most definitely be giving them a try.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2010/02/...ppetizers.html

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 12:42 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Hi Paul. I've heard of this wing method and I'm glad you brought it up. I notice a big difference in cooking times and method with Kenji's video and given a choice, Kenji always wins hands down for me. I'll most definitely be giving them a try.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2010/02/...ppetizers.html

I'm all for Kenji's technique too. Many thanks for the link, I'll check it out & give it a try.
Old 08-21-2019, 01:52 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Thanks for the link Kay. That was interesting and I like that he explains why baking powder instead of baking soda. I have bookmarked it in my "recipes to try" folder.
Old 08-21-2019, 04:06 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

Please see the Posting Standards" section of the Community Rules. You cannot post a copyrighted recipe.

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...ork&page=rules
Old 08-21-2019, 04:37 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Please see the Posting Standards" section of the Community Rules. You cannot post a copyrighted recipe.

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...ork&page=rules
Sincere apologies - I was not aware of that.

Having said that, any recipe posted herein may indeed and in fact be formally 'copyrighted' and how is anyone to know that, and be made aware permission must be obtained prior to copying it.

Also not sure of the actual legalities here, particularly where the author is clearly identified (and therefore given credit for.)
My having picked it up off the internet clearly makes it publicly available, therefore making copying an innocent activity. ???

If this is a matter necessitating removal/deletion from the forum, then administration please proceed to do so.
Old 08-21-2019, 05:06 PM   #7
Senior Cook

If administration chooses to delete the thread, alternatively if this is deemed suitable, Admin could simply delete only the recipe itself and I would be happy to provide the link to it to use in it's stead.
Old 08-21-2019, 05:29 PM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

Most of the recipes posted here are members’ recipes. It’s always preferable to post a link.

Posting recipes on a public website doesn’t make them uncopyrighted.

Listing the author’s name does not make posting their recipe OK either.

It may not make sense to you but “thems the facts”

If you post a link rather than a recipe, the recipe owners website get the traffic and resulting ad revenue.
Old 08-21-2019, 05:41 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

Another way to get crispy skin is put in cold pan (preferably cast iron) turn to high allow to heat up, when you hear a heavy crackle cook a few minutes. then into on a broil pan in a preheated 350 oven to finish. works great for breasts

gas grill, smoker, stove, oven, and sometimes a fire pit.
bradger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 06:11 PM   #10
Senior Cook

I do agree that posting recipes (or other material) doesn't make them uncopyrighted, but my understanding ( this without wishing to be argumentative or give offense) is that from a strict legal standpoint, anyone knowingly placing his or her material into the public domain, (e.g. the internet) while still wanting to maintain all of the rights and remedies of a copyright was to state that his or her material was to have the author's permission before copying it, failing which the rights and remedies were automatically waived under law. Can't recall where I read words to that effect.

And the fact that the material owner's website gets the traffic and any resulting revenue via a link is no valid rationale to me for making a link to the material legally acceptable for reproduction, but a written copy of it not so. That doesn't make legal sense, does it?

I'm simply and very sincerely suggesting that the totality of the elaboration of that section of the forum's community rules could perhaps be revisited.

I will certainly post a link from here on in, though, and I do thank you for bringing this matter to my attention.

Tags
chicken, chicken wings, oven