Halo Top Vanilla Bean Ice Cream review...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kleenex

Master Chef
vanilla.png

Okay... This is not a new item at all and I do not do many ice cream reviews, but one day at the grocery store self checkout line purchasing some meat and mayo a left over printed coupon for a FREE pint of ice cream somehow existed. I could not pass that up.

I went back to the grocery store and picked up this flavor. I was hoping to get the Oatmeal Cookie flavor, but it did not exist at this store. This store had 4.99 on the price of this item.

I did make this last more than 4 servings the pint said it has.

I am going to say this ice cream did have loads of vanilla bean specs in it.

The flavor here was not that bad at all for what is supposed to be some low cal ice cream.

I will give this flavor of ice cream a medium sized thumbs up.

I had a free pint and tried the vanilla also.

I thought the flavor was good. It had a thick custardy mouth feel unlike traditional ice cream. In this area it is kind of pricey and I would not buy it unless I had a coupon or it was on sale.

IMO if you freeze sugar free Snack Pack pudding cups for an hour or so you can get a similar treat for about the same calories and a lot less money.

My favorite ice cream is a diy version. Fill a pint mason jar with a cup of cream, add a teaspoon of vanilla (I use vanilla bean paste), 3 tablespoons of sugar (or whatever sweetner you desire), cover and shake until the cream begins to thicken. This can take a bit but my grandson loves to help. Put in the freezer for 3 hours or until frozen and serve. I have added Hersheys syrup instead of the sugar for chocolate (okay, I love my chocolate so maybe more than 3 tablespoons), chopped strawberries (I sprinkle the sugar over the strawberries and let them set awhile first)...the sky's the limit. I am always surprised by the creamy texture. You can make a larger batch using a quart jar and doubling the recipe but it takes a lot longer to freeze.

For those of use who eat low carb, Halo Top is a nice once-in-a-while treat. The vanilla is okay. I really like their Pistachio, though. The Cookies & Cream flavor is also pretty good.

I guess we're the outliers.

We tried the peanut butter cup with our freebie coupon. Both Himself and I thought we overpaid. ;) I thought it had an artificial sweetener taste, but a quick check of the label showed stevia as the very last ingredient. Not enough for normal people to notice, but I caught it right off the bat...or spoon, as the case may be.

If I get another coupon for a free carton, which one of you wants me to send it on to you?

Back
Top Bottom