"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Food and Cooking Gear Reviews
Click Here to Login

Old 09-07-2018, 09:29 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Has anyone ever had these McDonald's items?

I put this here because it is kind of a request for food reviews.

I remember the fried pies, but not the other items. I never heard of the McLobster... maybe Rocklobster knows of them, and maybe K-girl can clue me in on the pineapple "burger."

BTW, the fried apple pies were definitely better than the baked ones they sell today.

CD

Old 09-08-2018, 12:11 AM   #2
Head Chef

That’s a long video!

1. Breaded onion rings don’t present you with the problem of the onion slithering out whole when you bite it. Only battered onion rings do.
2. The McLobster was also sold in some of the New England states, sometime between 2000 and 2006. I was a flight attendant and had one at an airport McDonald’s. It wasn’t bad at all; in fact I hoped for a stopover at that airport again so I could have another one.
3. I remember those steak sandwiches, too. Also not bad; certainly better than those revolting McRib thingies!

Old 09-08-2018, 12:24 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Okay, so, the Fried Apple Pies are still available in Hawaii, YUM! Have those all the time when we're home ... McHula Burgers I do not remember coming to Hawaii... and the McLobster I do remember seeing TV commercials for when on the Mainland, but I don't recall them coming to Hawaii... WAY too expensive to try to serve there.
I'm pretty sure that Hawaii was the last State in the Union to get a McDonald's franchise, owned by Maurice "Sully" Sullivan who also owned Foodland, my FAVORITE supermarket chain in Hawaii!!! AND got Spam, along with what you call Ramen introduced to McD's .... ONO!!!
Old 09-08-2018, 12:57 AM   #4
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
Okay, so, the Fried Apple Pies are still available in Hawaii, YUM! Have those all the time when we're home ... McHula Burgers I do not remember coming to Hawaii... and the McLobster I do remember seeing TV commercials for when on the Mainland, but I don't recall them coming to Hawaii... WAY too expensive to try to serve there.
I'm pretty sure that Hawaii was the last State in the Union to get a McDonald's franchise, owned by Maurice "Sully" Sullivan who also owned Foodland, my FAVORITE supermarket chain in Hawaii!!! AND got Spam, along with what you call Ramen introduced to McD's .... ONO!!!
Spam AND ramen? Together? As in “Spam ramen?” Not really odd, if one thinks about it. Ramen is usually topped with char siu pork. But putting a “Mc” in front of is just, well, off-putting!
Old 09-08-2018, 02:25 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
The McSPAM lunch plate???

CD
Old 09-08-2018, 03:49 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
I put this here because it is kind of a request for food reviews.
Anyone remember shakes way back that you could buy at McDonalds and other drive thrus that quenched your thirst nicely when having their burgers and fries? Nowadays, shakes at all fast food drive-thrus are more a thick desert than a drink.
Caslon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 04:04 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
Anyone remember shakes way back that you could buy at McDonalds and other drive thrus that quenched your thirst nicely when having their burgers and fries? Nowadays, shakes at all fast food drive-thrus are more a desert than a drink.
They were always a desert to me. Liberty Burger in the DFW area (one too close to me) makes Adult Shakes, that are amazing. They make one called The Lebowski that is really good. Guess what is in it.

CD
Old 09-08-2018, 05:27 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
They were always a desert to me. Liberty Burger in the DFW area (one too close to me) makes Adult Shakes, that are amazing. They make one called The Lebowski that is really good. Guess what is in it.

CD
Kahula and half and half cream? That's a bar drink.
Caslon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 04:13 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
The McSPAM lunch plate???

CD
YUP!!!

https://www.khon2.com/living808/mcdo...ters/901442421

Spam is in just about everything, everywhere in Hawaii
Old 09-09-2018, 04:31 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoel View Post
Spam AND ramen? Together? As in “Spam ramen?” Not really odd, if one thinks about it. Ramen is usually topped with char siu pork. But putting a “Mc” in front of is just, well, off-putting!
This is very tasty indeed!
https://www.hawaiianbarbecue.com/food/spam-saimin/
Our Saimin can come fully loaded or simple with very few goodies in it. We like ours with as many ad-ins as I have available.
Click image for larger version

Name:	006.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	31428

Click image for larger version

Name:	007.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	31429

Our Saimin is different from Ramen noodles, their fat and a bit of a chew to them, very satisfying ... dang it NOW I want Saimin!
If I don't have any Char Siu to put in the bowl, then it's Spam.