"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Food and Cooking Gear Reviews
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-07-2018, 09:29 PM   #1
Executive Chef
 
caseydog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Dallas
Posts: 3,501
Has anyone ever had these McDonald's items?

I put this here because it is kind of a request for food reviews.

I remember the fried pies, but not the other items. I never heard of the McLobster... maybe Rocklobster knows of them, and maybe K-girl can clue me in on the pineapple "burger."



BTW, the fried apple pies were definitely better than the baked ones they sell today.

CD

__________________

__________________
"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it." -- Neil deGrasse Tyson
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 12:11 AM   #2
Head Chef
 
JustJoel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 1,287
That’s a long video!

1. Breaded onion rings don’t present you with the problem of the onion slithering out whole when you bite it. Only battered onion rings do.
2. The McLobster was also sold in some of the New England states, sometime between 2000 and 2006. I was a flight attendant and had one at an airport McDonald’s. It wasn’t bad at all; in fact I hoped for a stopover at that airport again so I could have another one.
3. I remember those steak sandwiches, too. Also not bad; certainly better than those revolting McRib thingies!
__________________

__________________
Dance like no one’s watching, sing like no one’s listening, but cook like EVERYONE is eating!
https://justjoel59.wordpress.com
JustJoel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 12:24 AM   #3
Executive Chef
 
Kaneohegirlinaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Posts: 3,796
Okay, so, the Fried Apple Pies are still available in Hawaii, YUM! Have those all the time when we're home ... McHula Burgers I do not remember coming to Hawaii... and the McLobster I do remember seeing TV commercials for when on the Mainland, but I don't recall them coming to Hawaii... WAY too expensive to try to serve there.
I'm pretty sure that Hawaii was the last State in the Union to get a McDonald's franchise, owned by Maurice "Sully" Sullivan who also owned Foodland, my FAVORITE supermarket chain in Hawaii!!! AND got Spam, along with what you call Ramen introduced to McD's .... ONO!!!
__________________
My Kitchen In The Middle Of The Desert ~ Wait, What? This Isn't Hawaii?
https://mykitcheninthemiddleofthedesert.wordpress.com/
Kaneohegirlinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 12:57 AM   #4
Head Chef
 
JustJoel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 1,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
Okay, so, the Fried Apple Pies are still available in Hawaii, YUM! Have those all the time when we're home ... McHula Burgers I do not remember coming to Hawaii... and the McLobster I do remember seeing TV commercials for when on the Mainland, but I don't recall them coming to Hawaii... WAY too expensive to try to serve there.
I'm pretty sure that Hawaii was the last State in the Union to get a McDonald's franchise, owned by Maurice "Sully" Sullivan who also owned Foodland, my FAVORITE supermarket chain in Hawaii!!! AND got Spam, along with what you call Ramen introduced to McD's .... ONO!!!
Spam AND ramen? Together? As in “Spam ramen?” Not really odd, if one thinks about it. Ramen is usually topped with char siu pork. But putting a “Mc” in front of is just, well, off-putting!
__________________
Dance like no one’s watching, sing like no one’s listening, but cook like EVERYONE is eating!
https://justjoel59.wordpress.com
JustJoel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 02:25 AM   #5
Executive Chef
 
caseydog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Dallas
Posts: 3,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
Okay, so, the Fried Apple Pies are still available in Hawaii, YUM! Have those all the time when we're home ... McHula Burgers I do not remember coming to Hawaii... and the McLobster I do remember seeing TV commercials for when on the Mainland, but I don't recall them coming to Hawaii... WAY too expensive to try to serve there.
I'm pretty sure that Hawaii was the last State in the Union to get a McDonald's franchise, owned by Maurice "Sully" Sullivan who also owned Foodland, my FAVORITE supermarket chain in Hawaii!!! AND got Spam, along with what you call Ramen introduced to McD's .... ONO!!!
The McSPAM lunch plate???

CD
__________________
"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it." -- Neil deGrasse Tyson
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 03:49 AM   #6
Executive Chef
 
Caslon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ring of fire. So. Calif.
Posts: 2,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
I put this here because it is kind of a request for food reviews.
Anyone remember shakes way back that you could buy at McDonalds and other drive thrus that quenched your thirst nicely when having their burgers and fries? Nowadays, shakes at all fast food drive-thrus are more a thick desert than a drink.
Caslon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 04:04 AM   #7
Executive Chef
 
caseydog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Dallas
Posts: 3,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
Anyone remember shakes way back that you could buy at McDonalds and other drive thrus that quenched your thirst nicely when having their burgers and fries? Nowadays, shakes at all fast food drive-thrus are more a desert than a drink.
They were always a desert to me. Liberty Burger in the DFW area (one too close to me) makes Adult Shakes, that are amazing. They make one called The Lebowski that is really good. Guess what is in it.

CD
__________________
"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it." -- Neil deGrasse Tyson
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 05:27 AM   #8
Executive Chef
 
Caslon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ring of fire. So. Calif.
Posts: 2,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
They were always a desert to me. Liberty Burger in the DFW area (one too close to me) makes Adult Shakes, that are amazing. They make one called The Lebowski that is really good. Guess what is in it.

CD
Kahula and half and half cream? That's a bar drink.
Caslon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 04:13 PM   #9
Executive Chef
 
Kaneohegirlinaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Posts: 3,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
The McSPAM lunch plate???

CD
YUP!!!

https://www.khon2.com/living808/mcdo...ters/901442421

Spam is in just about everything, everywhere in Hawaii
__________________
My Kitchen In The Middle Of The Desert ~ Wait, What? This Isn't Hawaii?
https://mykitcheninthemiddleofthedesert.wordpress.com/
Kaneohegirlinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 04:31 PM   #10
Executive Chef
 
Kaneohegirlinaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Posts: 3,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoel View Post
Spam AND ramen? Together? As in “Spam ramen?” Not really odd, if one thinks about it. Ramen is usually topped with char siu pork. But putting a “Mc” in front of is just, well, off-putting!
This is very tasty indeed!
https://www.hawaiianbarbecue.com/food/spam-saimin/
Our Saimin can come fully loaded or simple with very few goodies in it. We like ours with as many ad-ins as I have available.
Click image for larger version

Name:	006.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	31428

Click image for larger version

Name:	007.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	31429

Our Saimin is different from Ramen noodles, their fat and a bit of a chew to them, very satisfying ... dang it NOW I want Saimin!
If I don't have any Char Siu to put in the bowl, then it's Spam.

__________________

__________________
My Kitchen In The Middle Of The Desert ~ Wait, What? This Isn't Hawaii?
https://mykitcheninthemiddleofthedesert.wordpress.com/
Kaneohegirlinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.